Lumia 920 with Cyan

fpetro22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there a list anywhere of what new features Cyan brings to the 920? I don't seem to see any changes. For example I do not see the Dolby Virtual Sound, a brightness slider or any changes to the Color Profile settings? Does the 920 not receive these? Thanks

wp_ss_20140910_0001.jpgwp_ss_20140910_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Sicka Altaar

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree I see nothing new except for the arrow indication over the cellular and wifi icon. And my battery saver does not work any more. Capacitive button lights are still on when battery saver is turn on and the screen brightness does not dim.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
It's supposed to bring Bluetooth 4.0 LE. I haven't tried to verify it.

Battery Saver works fine for me, and everything works just as well as it did on DP with Black. Battery life might be a bit better, hard to say for sure.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
It's supposed to bring Bluetooth 4.0 LE. I haven't tried to verify it.

Battery Saver works fine for me, and everything works just as well as it did on DP with Black. Battery life might be a bit better, hard to say for sure.

It does bring Bluetooth 4.0 LE, I can now sync my fitbit, I only tested it and it connected and synced, but removed connection because it syncs with my server at home anyways

fpetro22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried sysapp pusher with no luck. It looks like Cyan really added nothing special to the 920 unless I have done something wrong. If you check the story here Lumia Cyan and what it brings to Windows Phone 8.1 and the Lumia 930 | Windows Phone Central obviously not all features will work with the 920 but shouldn't these:

?Brightness Profile ? Users can set the default average brightness for their phone. Unlike the Lumia 630, which has controls for all three levels (low, medium and high), the Lumia 930 has a single slider. My guess is this sets the median, default brightness
?Color Profile ? With Lumia Cyan there are now three presets (Standard, Vivid and Cool) in addition to Advanced, which lets the user modify three settings, including color temperature, tint, and color saturation via sliders

Sicka Altaar

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
NONE OF THESE ARE WORKING FOR ME ON CYAN. IT IS EXACTLY HOW IT WAS ON BLACK.

•Equalizer now works through the speaker – The graphic equalizer found under Settings > Audio on non-Cyan devices is limited to just headphone usage. Nokia has finally expanded this to the phone's speaker too, letting users have fine-grained control over music. Update: the EQ does not work through Bluetooth devices.

•Dolby Headphone is now Dolby Virtual Surround – Also under Audio is Dolby Virtual Surround which is explained as "Surround sound enhancement for headphones enabled only for 5.1 audio". Functionally, the two may be the same, but it does add some new features like…

•Dolby dialog enhancer – "Improves the dialog clarity for movies," which is pretty self-explanatory

•Record audio for videos in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 – On the Lumia 930 (and possibly Lumia 1520, Lumia Icon) users can optionally choose to record audio for videos with Dolby's new 5.1 technology. Dolby Digital on the Lumia 930 represents the first time achieving this in a smartphone, and it should prove to be impressive

•Brightness Profile – Users can set the default average brightness for their phone. Unlike the Lumia 630, which has controls for all three levels (low, medium and high), the Lumia 930 has a single slider. My guess is this sets the median, default brightness

•Color Profile – With Lumia Cyan there are now three presets (Standard, Vivid and Cool) in addition to Advanced, which lets the user modify three settings, including color temperature, tint, and color saturation via sliders

•Bluetooth 4.0 LE – Some Windows Phones had Bluetooth 4.0 LE enabled with Update 3 last year, but the Preview for Developers disabled it due to changes made by Microsoft to the stack. Lumia Cyan re-enables this feature for things like Nokia Treasure Tag or smartwatches. Official apps for smartwatches and other connected devices are coming later this summer once Cyan achieves a larger rollout.

•Living Images – Also announced earlier, Nokia's Living Images briefly records a second or two before the photo gets taken. When viewing the image through Nokia Camera or StoryTeller, users can see the image animated, giving life to the memory

•Miracast support – Found under Settings > Project my screen, certain Lumias are getting full support to wirelessly stream content, or mirror the phone's display on Miracast devices such as PCs and TVs. You can watch my demonstration of this on the Lumia 630

fpetro22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
NONE OF THESE ARE WORKING FOR ME ON CYAN. IT IS EXACTLY HOW IT WAS ON BLACK.

•Equalizer now works through the speaker – The graphic equalizer found under Settings > Audio on non-Cyan devices is limited to just headphone usage. Nokia has finally expanded this to the phone's speaker too, letting users have fine-grained control over music. Update: the EQ does not work through Bluetooth devices.

•Dolby Headphone is now Dolby Virtual Surround – Also under Audio is Dolby Virtual Surround which is explained as "Surround sound enhancement for headphones enabled only for 5.1 audio". Functionally, the two may be the same, but it does add some new features like…

•Dolby dialog enhancer – "Improves the dialog clarity for movies," which is pretty self-explanatory

•Record audio for videos in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 – On the Lumia 930 (and possibly Lumia 1520, Lumia Icon) users can optionally choose to record audio for videos with Dolby's new 5.1 technology. Dolby Digital on the Lumia 930 represents the first time achieving this in a smartphone, and it should prove to be impressive

•Brightness Profile – Users can set the default average brightness for their phone. Unlike the Lumia 630, which has controls for all three levels (low, medium and high), the Lumia 930 has a single slider. My guess is this sets the median, default brightness

•Color Profile – With Lumia Cyan there are now three presets (Standard, Vivid and Cool) in addition to Advanced, which lets the user modify three settings, including color temperature, tint, and color saturation via sliders

•Bluetooth 4.0 LE – Some Windows Phones had Bluetooth 4.0 LE enabled with Update 3 last year, but the Preview for Developers disabled it due to changes made by Microsoft to the stack. Lumia Cyan re-enables this feature for things like Nokia Treasure Tag or smartwatches. Official apps for smartwatches and other connected devices are coming later this summer once Cyan achieves a larger rollout.

•Living Images – Also announced earlier, Nokia's Living Images briefly records a second or two before the photo gets taken. When viewing the image through Nokia Camera or StoryTeller, users can see the image animated, giving life to the memory

•Miracast support – Found under Settings > Project my screen, certain Lumias are getting full support to wirelessly stream content, or mirror the phone's display on Miracast devices such as PCs and TVs. You can watch my demonstration of this on the Lumia 630

Exactly my point! None of these work so are we missing something? Cyan added absolutely nothing!

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
The question, of course, is did the 920 not get these things because the hardware can't support them, or did Microsoft decide not to invest in enhancing the 920's firmware because the phone is old? I doubt that they'll tell us.

At least we got the little arrows, and someone already confirmed that Bluetooth 4.0 LE is back. Could be worse.

Sicka Altaar

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The question, of course, is did the 920 not get these things because the hardware can't support them, or did Microsoft decide not to invest in enhancing the 920's firmware because the phone is old? I doubt that they'll tell us.

At least we got the little arrows, and someone already confirmed that Bluetooth 4.0 LE is back. Could be worse.

the hardware is supported because they said ALL LUMIAS. They have no justification.
BTW the hard reset didn't work but my battery saver is now working. Maybe its a firmware problem

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
the hardware is supported because they said ALL LUMIAS. They have no justification.
BTW the hard reset didn't work but my battery saver is now working. Maybe its a firmware problem

If I recall correctly, they said all Lumias would get Cyan in some form. I don't remember them saying all features would be supported on all phones. Please correct me if you have hard evidence to the contrary.

Glad your battery saver is fixed.

fpetro22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They did say all Lumias would receive cyan and they clearly said all features would not be supported on all phones due to hardware. My problem/question is I do not see ANY new features from cyan on my 920. I am simply trying to find out what new features cyan brings to the 920 because I do not see any.

mirnow

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
After upgrade to CYAN - I have Lumia 920 RM-821
- my camera stopped working ( soft reset, hard reset, reset the camera - nothing worked.
- no camera application worked ( Nokia camera, lumia panorama, camera )
- Runtastic pro (paid version ) - crashed when starting tracking
- Nokia Here+ - was working - but phone was so hot in the back I had a hard time holding it in my hand.
- Drain power - after cyan upgrade I went from 15 - 13 hours of battery time to 6 hours
when I tried Nokia recovery Tools 1.5.0 - software installation failed - code error 0x80131500
I called and chatted with Microsoft, Nokia, AT&T and Nokia - Nokia - suggested sending the phone for repair.
After looking on the internet and playing with the phone for three days - went back to BLACK firmware, only Mexico and Australia have Black ROM official download - everywhere else they have now CYAN firmware.
Now the camera works like before and I can Love my phone again (finally).

bikkhu

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I've got Cyan on my Lumia 920 RM-821, wifi connection failed totally, unrepairable, MS account failed, so no backup, shared connection become intermittent with 10sec work and 1 to 2 minutes reconnection to provider (wifi connected all the time), signal strength dropped 2 bars down.

After firmware refresh back to Black all OK, just lost all settings and apps. Again installed Cyan on clean phone, wifi worked, signal OK, just shared connection still faulty.

Because shared connection is my only internet access, I've flashed back to Black and will stay there.

What I have found on net, it looks that M$ introduced their own version of tethering, so many people outside of USA have problems because tethering is US only way how to charge more for data. I didn't see this "feature" mentioned.

By the way, don't expect that you will get your data back just because you have backup on cloud. I didn't, cause my phone didn't connect for whatever reason in first start and there is NO CONTROL OVER RESTORE.

fpetro22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't have any of the issues stated above and my phone seems to be working fine, I just don't have any new features. Not sure what Cyan does for the 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers