920 WP8 vs 900 WP7.8 Data Usage

Plimbob

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
About three months ago I swapped on my 900 (WP7.8) for a 920 (WP 8.0) and noticed the data usage go up 50%. I am running the same number of apps (3) on both phones (none in background) two email accounts and average volume of texts and calls. I had location on in the 900 but I shut it off on the 920 (to see if it had an impact) that would be the only difference otherwise I have everything shut off?

Thanks for any of your thoughts on what is causing this?

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
About three months ago I swapped on my 900 (WP7.8) for a 920 (WP 8.0) and noticed the data usage go up 50%. I am running the same number of apps (3) on both phones (none in background) two email accounts and average volume of texts and calls. I had location on in the 900 but I shut it off on the 920 (to see if it had an impact) that would be the only difference otherwise I have everything shut off?

Thanks for any of your thoughts on what is causing this?

I don't know what is causing this, but surely wp 8 uses more data than wp 7.5/7.8. If you switch to iOS / android you'll realize that iOS drains 50% more data, & Android drains 70% more data than WP 8

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone has improved by leaps and bounds since Windows Phone 7.

With the new updates the multitasking has become more "real" and applications can use your mobile data in the background, Windows Phone 8.1 extends this functionality even further.

There is an option in data sense that prevents app from using any data at all in the background, I would recommend using it to save more data. Lay off watching 1080p content or even 720p to save up some more data.

iOS and Android use up more data than Windows Phone for a number of reasons, to name a few higher resolution content, more apps, etc...

Plimbob

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, a stupid question can you leave cellular data and wi-fi on at the same time so when you are out and about if there is an available Wifi will it automatically over ride cellular and connect? Sorry I am new to WP.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, a stupid question can you leave cellular data and wi-fi on at the same time so when you are out and about if there is an available Wifi will it automatically over ride cellular and connect? Sorry I am new to WP.

Yes, your phone is automatically configured to use WiFi instead of mobile intetnet when WiFi is available.

However I wouldn't recommend keeping both features on all the time, because the battery will run out sooner.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Your phone gives first preference to Wi-Fi.
Say if you are downloading something on mobile data, & then you connect your phone to Wi-Fi, your app/game would still use mobile data for downloading, not Wi-Fi. If you run out of data before the downloading gets completed, then your downloading will start all over again on Wi-Fi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05