Will the Lumia 920 get any real benefit from firmware updates like Denim and beyond?

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi

What do you guys think?

those who own the former flagship like me Lumia 920 will we get any real benefits in terms of features from Lumia Denim and beyond apart from stability and bugs fixes!

Comments much appreciated

😊

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
re:

Well we didn't get anything in Cyan except the firmware itself.

Denim will probably only bring us Glance 3.0.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

I don't think it's bad, at least it will get features at the level of the OS. It's understandable that you don't get hardware-based stuff. I wouldn't complain, though I am planning on getting a newer Lumia than my 920. Also, I don't care much for anything that's fitness oriented.

Hi

What do you guys think?

those who own the former flagship like me Lumia 920 will we get any real benefits in terms of features from Lumia Denim and beyond apart from stability and bugs fixes!

Comments much appreciated

��

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

Well with Cyan the 920 did receive Bluetooth LE support. Im sure there will be other features the 920 will benefit from.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
re:

Yeah. Nokia camera will update to lumia camera. Photo taking in iPhone like speed with the pureview camera. HD moments. Editing the exposure of the photo after it has been taken. Improved smart sequence. Every lumia will get this new camera.(update availability depends on carriers and stuff like that)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
re:

Yeah. Nokia camera will update to lumia camera. Photo taking in iPhone like speed with the pureview camera. HD moments. Editing the exposure of the photo after it has been taken. Improved smart sequence. Every lumia will get this new camera.(update availability depends on carriers and stuff like that)

You sure?

Nokia didn't promise any shutter speed improvements, nor did it say it would improve focus for the older generation?

And the new exposure editing and all the other features aren't they mostly hardware Dependant?

I could be wrong, but I'm curious.

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I think by looking at the Lumia 1020 and what it will be getting from Denim update should provide some degree of understanding to us 920 owners.

4k recording is out of the question as 920 and 1020 we have an older processor compared to the likes of the 1520 and 930.

Shame the 1020 is such a great snapper that can't take potential of this its a let down 40MP and dual core processor versus 20MP and quad core. Quite ironic that 1020 has the photo taking capabilities but no raw processing power to back it up.

I can imagine the frustration and anger of 1020 owners. I feel for them!

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
re:

I think by looking at the Lumia 1020 and what it will be getting from Denim update should provide some degree of understanding to us 920 owners.

4k recording is out of the question as 920 and 1020 we have an older processor compared to the likes of the 1520 and 930.

Shame the 1020 is such a great snapper that can't take potential of this its a let down 40MP and dual core processor versus 20MP and quad core. Quite ironic that 1020 has the photo taking capabilities but no raw processing power to back it up.

I can imagine the frustration and anger of 1020 owners. I feel for them!

It's not about dual core or quad core.
If that's was the case,the 808 would have lagged like hell in taking pictures. It had a single core processor and 512 MB RAM. So why its waaaay faster than 1020 heck than 1520? Because its using a dedicated Broadcom imaging chip.
But with Lumia denim, Nokia have utilized the hardware and made the camera speed faster and taking pictures too.
As far as the 1020 goes, I don't expect anything new due to low hardware. It's a dual core S4 of 2012. So I ain't holding my breath for something new. (I am a 1020 user too... :D)
I am right now considering 1520 as an upgrade because there won't be any new hardware in 2014. So in 2015 I think we MIGHT see something in April AKA Build 2015 who knows what will the WP9 flagship will be....

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

My contract finishes next summer so hoping for a follow up to 1520 like phablet because I came to WP8 from Galaxy note 2 on Android.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
re:

You sure?

Nokia didn't promise any shutter speed improvements, nor did it say it would improve focus for the older generation?

And the new exposure editing and all the other features aren't they mostly hardware Dependant?

I could be wrong, but I'm curious.
Nokia did. Check their website and the video showcasing the lumia camera

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

Unless something was wrong with my device, Bluetooth LE did not work for me until I updated to Cyan. It wasn't possible for me to sync my Fitbit without Cyan. I am a Lumia 920 user so that may not have been the case with the devices you listed.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
re:

Cyan is necessary for AptX to work in 8.1.1, so it's been a pretty huge upgrade for the 920. Denim should make the camera algorithm more efficient in general so there's less time between photos on all phones, won't it?

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
BT still hasn't recovered from Black and 8.1's changes, even with Cyan. The car no longer displays track progress and it can't handle a weak or changing WiFi signal and play BT audio smoothly at the same time. And with Cyan, sometimes the BT/WiFi get so muddled sound dies and then the phone autorestarts. I hope they put some fixes for that into Denim, but since it's such an old phone I don't know if they will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion