Wireless charging problem

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey All!

I hope you are all well.

A few months ago, I got my housing changed to a different colour at the Nokia store. Yesterday I got hold of a wireless charging plate from Nokia, but the phone doesn't charge. I know the problem is with the phone because my brothers phone charges fine.

Is there any way I can fix this myself? On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it? (where one is, you can do it with your eyes partially closed, and 10 is, you open the phone and it'll drool green stuff over you making it impossible). I'm thinking maybe a connection broke..

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On a scale? Ehhhh, I'd open it first using instructions, so for me, not counting tools, I'd peg it at a 3 since you're first and maybe only stop is removing the back cover, which contains the charging coil.
Don't know 100% whats wrong, but opening it is a definite step one.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
agree with Xandros. it is probably a sliding scale. Opening the phone and checking the charging coil is easy. Hopefully it's just the pins that you need to bend into shape to make good contact. See the attached picture below (pin areas in yellow circle). The white flat piece in the middle is the charging coil. You will find a number of tutorials on how to remove the housing.
LE55ONs has good ones: youtube.com/watch?v=cKd8tCAH-eY
If you decide to change the coil, (they cost <$10 on ebay) you may have to use some heat to carefully lift it off (there is an adhesive film underneath - just be patient with a flat tool, like a plastic knife).
New Nokia Lumia 920 Wireless Charging Coil Flex Cable Ribbon Replacement | eBay

Not having done this before I'd put this on 3 for removing housing and 5 for removing coil. In the end you will have also learned how to CHANGE the housing to a different color if you wanted. Housing comes with charging coil and costs ~$20 on ebay in all major colors.

If it's none of the above, then it becomes adventurous and you climb up the scale of course....
charging coil pins (299x500).jpg

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
If you open it and can't figure it out and they notice its been opened it will void your warrenty just bring it back in and explain the issue.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all!
Yeah the phone is still under warranty. Until next April, so there's no problem in that regard. The only issue is, the store is located about 45mins away from where I work, by London Underground. And by the time I'd get there, it'd be closed. Maybe I'll take it back on a day off, and then if in the future I do wish to do some experimenting, I can using the covers from eBay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05