Lumia 920 Battery Drain

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Okay, been over a week since I had put my phone in 3g only mode and never had the battery heat up. Since it still has a warranty from Nokia, I will send it in to them once again, maybe telling them about this issue (not like it will matter)...but I don't think I should have to limit my phone to not use LTE because of a hardware issue, esp since its a brand new phone.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't had any problems for months, but last night, the mysterious drain returned. I had it on the wireless charger. When I picked it up to check it, I noticed that it was a bit warm. The battery was showing 100%, so I put the phone down on the table. This morning it was dead, the battery was flat. I'm hoping it is a one-off and will be OK for a few months more.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine is driving me crazy, I am about to ditch the phone...not finding a very good deal on Lumia's, don't really want to return to Android, but the L920 issues with the battery has been insane if I don't disable LTE...I have two almost brand new (only few months old) L920s and both do the same thing...

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
for my AT&T 920, I dialed ##3282 to get the Field Test. But here are my choices for 3G:

3G DCH Status
3G Reselection Status
3G Neighbor List Status

So which one do I choose?

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
for my AT&T 920, I dialed ##3282 to get the Field Test. But here are my choices for 3G:

3G DCH Status
3G Reselection Status
3G Neighbor List Status

So which one do I choose?

When you go into field test mode, there are three dots on the bottom right, click that, a menu comes up, then go into settings...that will give you the choices for network type in a dropdown list...I had to turn off Toggle ENS too

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Contacted AT&T, they can't remove the LTE from my plan, which is annoying...I can keep phone in 3G only mode, but can't access the VZW repeaters if I do that (for some reason, the repeaters repeat as Edge on my AT&T phone)

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, bought an LG G2 on ebay yesterday, been trying to hold out, but since I didn't get great service with Nokia (and don't want any other windows phone manufacture's products) I decided to go back to Android...my phone is worth $75 trade in on amazon, which kinda stinks because its in mint condition, has about 12 hours of talk on it and only worth that...don't feel like hassle of selling on ebay either. I will keep an eye on the WP OS though since I have two unlocked 520s and wife has her 1020.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It's been one week since I used Field Test and manually set my data speed to 3G. Prior to this, I was on automatic LTE. Phone is AT&T 920 purchased on Day 1 in 2012. This is my follow-up report on battery life:

All I gotta say is switching to 3G worked wonders for me. I used 3G for one week to ensure I had a normal usage pattern. On 3G, at the end of every day, I still had 50% of my battery, whereas on auto LTE, I was always on critical low or mysterious fast drain. I didn't have any hot spots on the back of the phone and didn't have to soft reset my phone at all. And, I didn't notice any data speed degradation. I had always thought LTE was flaky in my area. Battery life was just OK as I barely got to the end of the day. But when I traveled occasionally to the Dallas area, battery life always improved significantly. Evidence seemed to suggest data reception was a factor.

Bottom Line: Switching to 3G worked great for me! Hope this helps someone similarly situated.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
It's been one week since I used Field Test and manually set my data speed to 3G. Prior to this, I was on automatic LTE. Phone is AT&T 920 purchased on Day 1 in 2012. This is my follow-up report on battery life:

All I gotta say is switching to 3G worked wonders for me. I used 3G for one week to ensure I had a normal usage pattern. On 3G, at the end of every day, I still had 50% of my battery, whereas on auto LTE, I was always on critical low or mysterious fast drain. I didn't have any hot spots on the back of the phone and didn't have to soft reset my phone at all. And, I didn't notice any data speed degradation. I had always thought LTE was flaky in my area. Battery life was just OK as I barely got to the end of the day. But when I traveled occasionally to the Dallas area, battery life always improved significantly. Evidence seemed to suggest data reception was a factor.

Bottom Line: Switching to 3G worked great for me! Hope this helps someone similarly situated.

Glad it worked too for you....I can't get AT&T to drop LTE on my plan, there are times when my phone uses Edge service to get signal at work and forcing 3g doesn't allow me this. It is too bad because I love the 920's, have two, Nokia can't fix the issue, so bought new phone. Now I guess I will be selling the 920's, they are unlocked, but not going for much, looks like $75 or so each.
But, I am glad it worked for you!

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
You're in the US I assume.
I may be interested in one of the 920's to use as a spare.
I bought a new, unlocked 920 a couple of months ago and I"m on AT&T and it, to me, is the best Lumia that I've had. Complety problem free. I also have a new, unlocked 830 that now has been sitting in it's box on a shelf since I got the 920.
I've tried and sent all back the, 925, 930, 1020, 1520, 735, and, as mentioned, the 830 which I still own as it was too late to return it when I got the 920.
The 920 have been better than all those other ones, by far.
A second 920 might be a good idea for me.

Thanks,
Fred

Glad it worked too for you....I can't get AT&T to drop LTE on my plan, there are times when my phone uses Edge service to get signal at work and forcing 3g doesn't allow me this. It is too bad because I love the 920's, have two, Nokia can't fix the issue, so bought new phone. Now I guess I will be selling the 920's, they are unlocked, but not going for much, looks like $75 or so each.
But, I am glad it worked for you!

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
In my case, the drain, until it is flat, only occurs overnight (!!). As I really have no need for the phone to be on, while I sleep, I've started turning it off. No problems, so far.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
You're in the US I assume.
I may be interested in one of the 920's to use as a spare.
I bought a new, unlocked 920 a couple of months ago and I"m on AT&T and it, to me, is the best Lumia that I've had. Complety problem free. I also have a new, unlocked 830 that now has been sitting in it's box on a shelf since I got the 920.
I've tried and sent all back the, 925, 930, 1020, 1520, 735, and, as mentioned, the 830 which I still own as it was too late to return it when I got the 920.
The 920 have been better than all those other ones, by far.
A second 920 might be a good idea for me.

Thanks,
Fred

Yeah, I am in the US...I will keep you posted on it...the second one I got was from Nokia, they sent me a new one and sent me that one back, so kinda holding onto that one for a few extra months....I will PM you if I get rid of it though....its mint condition, always was in a case.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, let me know.

:)
Fred

Yeah, I am in the US...I will keep you posted on it...the second one I got was from Nokia, they sent me a new one and sent me that one back, so kinda holding onto that one for a few extra months....I will PM you if I get rid of it though....its mint condition, always was in a case.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. Mine uses no battery overnight, with wif and celluar data on. That's even getting a few emails, messages, etc.
I go to sleep at night and it's at 100%, wake up in the morning, still there and battery saver shows flat lines, not usage. I'll have a few emails and msgs received by the phone, sometimes the notification sound even wakes me up for a few seconds.
I do not have the battery saver turned on.

Fred

In my case, the drain, until it is flat, only occurs overnight (!!). As I really have no need for the phone to be on, while I sleep, I've started turning it off. No problems, so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos