To all former Lumia 920 owners

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi

To all the former Lumia 920 owners what have you upgraded to and why?

Reason being I need to move in a few months time and don't know what to get wait for Windows 10 phone or go with 1520?

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I still have the 920, nothing worth upgrading to yet. If you can hold off, I would wait a bit and see if they bring out another flashship phone.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I still am using my 920, but there's three phones I'd look at. The 830 (it's more of a side grade, but you gain the new camera app, change able batteries, and SD card support), the 930 (better display, better camera, better battery but lose glance), and the 1520 (same as the 930, but with glance, SD card support, but it is 6 inches which may be a deal breaker for some).

That's if you had to upgrade right now though, but good luck!

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I moved to a 930. As compared to the 920, the biggest differences are the screen size and the camera. Now with Denim, there are a few other features as well that aren't possible with the 920.

I have AT&T, so I don't get LTE on the 930. But, I don't miss LTE too much. I was impressed with it when I had it on the 920, but I don't complain about not having it now.

I don't miss glance at all. I just double tap the screen, and see what glance would have shown me anyways. Now, it's actually sort of weird to see a glance phone - as in "hey turn that off". On my 920, glance went off when the phone was idle anyways.

The 930 has a higher density screen than the 920. It's AMOLED as opposed to IPS. I personally like IPS better, but the 930 screen is a big step up from the 920.

I honestly don't notice too much difference in processor speed, because I'm not normally doing things that require hyper processing power. There are a few games that seem a little more fluid, but that be more mental than real - I can't tell.

On the whole, I think the 930 is the best phone I've ever owned. I would not have said the 920 was the best I had owned, but it was a lost-cost way for me to feel out WP. I really liked WP over the other OS's. Once I decided that, it was onward.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Still have my 920... Was thinking of the 830 as I'm having battery issues. But figured I'd hold off and wait for a new flagship. Just ordered a replacement battery, which should hold me over till a new one comes out.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I went with the M8 back in November, but considering its now February I would wait to see what comes out of MWC before making a decision. Thou if you can get an M8 or 930 for cheap those should be your best choice's.

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I love my 920 but the battery life is a nuisance I am looking for a large phablet device as I came to WP from galaxy note series phones on Android as it's kind of hard scaling down Green 1520 would be great but unfortunately nothing in UK its At&t exclusive. Only worry is by the time I get 1520 it will be two years old and not get as much MS support as newer devices even though its more than capable

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I went with the 930 and the only thing I miss is Glance. However, with the Demin update, the tap to wake issue is solved and 'hey Cortana' actually works when it's not too noisy.

If you can afford to upgrade again toward the end of the year, then the 930 is a great deal. If not, then wait - I'm sure the new devices will be exciting.

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I think the only thing stopping me from buying lumia 930 is the lack of sd card support and mixed reviews on battery life. Anyone know if it has improved on Denim update?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I love my 920 but the battery life is a nuisance I am looking for a large phablet device as I came to WP from galaxy note series phones on Android as it's kind of hard scaling down Green 1520 would be great but unfortunately nothing in UK its At&t exclusive. Only worry is by the time I get 1520 it will be two years old and not get as much MS support as newer devices even though its more than capable

You could always buy a 1520 that works for you, then get a green back and swap it.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I think the only thing stopping me from buying lumia 930 is the lack of sd card support and mixed reviews on battery life. Anyone know if it has improved on Denim update?

I only had mine not on Denim for about a week, so I can't really compare. Now, though, mine will go about 2 days. Usually, I charge it about every day and a half, when it gets to about 20-30%, depending upon what I'm doing. I went to bed the other night at 26%, and wondered if I should have charged it. I got in the morning, and it was at 21%.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Personally, there isn't a worthy upgrade out there. 8/930 don't impress me. The 1520 comes close but for the size. If I can get a 4.5" 1520 (hahaha far cry!) then I'm going for it. So, I'd keep "managing" my 920 until the next flagship.

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Personally, there isn't a worthy upgrade out there. 8/930 don't impress me. The 1520 comes close but for the size. If I can get a 4.5" 1520 (hahaha far cry!) then I'm going for it. So, I'd keep "managing" my 920 until the next flagship.

Problem being that Windows 10 flagship wont come out until probably end of year 3rd quarter earliest and my contract ends in Summer 😡

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I traded my 920 for a galaxy tab 3 and upgraded to a 635 for $41.72 from the Microsoft store. 635 has much better battery life, runs cooler, and will keep me in the loop until I see how things shake out around here.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I went for the 1520 in October. I have been nothing but happy with that decision. My 1520 works beautifully, it is fast and looks great. The screen size makes almost everything easier, and when I use my old 920 (handed down to my mother-in-law) or my wife's 920, they seem strangely small now. It appears that you won't see new flagship phones for Windows 10 until late summer, or autumn, so it depends to you on whether you can wait that long, or if the desire for a new phone is too strong to hold out for another six months or so.

The 930 is basically a 5" 1520...

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I got a 930 in October I believe and a million problems from screen raising out to buttons not working to 4 hour battery and I said eff it and got rid of it. I have an 830 now and it feels like a skinner 920 nothing special just a slight upgrade. If you need a phone go get an 830 or something just to hold you off because I had to get rid of my 920 because it had issues with the board but if your 920 is still going strong just wait until the new phones come out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss