Just smashed my beloved 920 !! :P

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Just dropped my 920 on its face, off my desk at work. Shattered glass.

I love this phone! I actually jumped onto WP with the 520, and soon upgraded to this one.

So, do I repair this one with a new glass, or hold out for the gigantic 640XL ???

:confused:

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Find a cheap 830 :D I replaced my broken 820 with a second hand one, in perfect state, for only 150?. Couldn't be hapier with it (especially the camera and battery)

If you have to choose between the 2 options you gave, take the 640XL, definitely.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't handle the XL well, so I'd probably spring for an 830 if I had to get a replacement.
(although I've been held captive by this Blackberry I just got)

Although, considering the age of the device, parts shouldn't be too expensive.
But hey, this is your excuse to move to a different device.

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Find a cheap 830 :D I replaced my broken 820 with a second hand one, in perfect state, for only 150€. Couldn't be hapier with it (especially the camera and battery)

If you have to choose between the 2 options you gave, take the 640XL, definitely.

Thanks! I'll be trolling eBay to see what's out there. My concern is making sure I still have a good camera. I don't take many videos, but do take a lot of snapshots on this phone.

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't handle the XL well, so I'd probably spring for an 830 if I had to get a replacement.
(although I've been held captive by this Blackberry I just got)

Although, considering the age of the device, parts shouldn't be too expensive.
But hey, this is your excuse to move to a different device.

Looks like glass & digitizer combo is as low as $40 on Amazon. So the disciplined part of me says just fix it.

Interestingly, I don't see the camera button on the side of the 640 / 640XL. Anyone else notice that?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like glass & digitizer combo is as low as $40 on Amazon. So the disciplined part of me says just fix it.

Interestingly, I don't see the camera button on the side of the 640 / 640XL. Anyone else notice that?

Starting with Windows Phone 8.1, the camera button requirement was dropped for Windows Phone devices.

So lower end devices lack that button, starting with the 630 I believe, of the current x30 lineup, the Lumia 830 is the lowest end device with a camera button.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It's not too hard to replace the whole lcd/touch assembly on the 920. It takes a couple of torx screwdrivers, which you can cheaply as well - a T2, T4, and T5. If you're comfortable turning a few screws, it's not a bad repair to do. Just get the screwdrivers in advance, or you'll be frustrated waiting for them to show up. BTW - I could not find a T2 anywhere locally, so I just ordered a whole set from ebay.

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Starting with Windows Phone 8.1, the camera button requirement was dropped for Windows Phone devices.

So lower end devices lack that button, starting with the 630 I believe, of the current x30 lineup, the Lumia 830 is the lowest end device with a camera button.

Thanks for the info. I just compared specs on the 640 and 830 and realized they may be about the same, except for a better PureView camera (10mp vs 8) and wireless charging.

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
It's not too hard to replace the whole lcd/touch assembly on the 920. It takes a couple of torx screwdrivers, which you can cheaply as well - a T2, T4, and T5. If you're comfortable turning a few screws, it's not a bad repair to do. Just get the screwdrivers in advance, or you'll be frustrated waiting for them to show up. BTW - I could not find a T2 anywhere locally, so I just ordered a whole set from ebay.

Thanks gordon for the reply. I may end up going this route and see what comes along for the next flagship Lumia, which might even send prices down on the 830s and 930s...

NarcoSleepy

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I did the exact same thing about an hour ago, although on concrete. Phone still works, as long as I don't mind 1000 tiny shards slicing my fingers. Shopping right now for a replacement, but Microsoft has been awful about releasing flagships. I like the Icon, but I use the glance feature, and don't think it works on that particular model for some reason.

NarcoSleepy

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I did the exact same thing about an hour ago, although on concrete. Phone still works, as long as I don't mind 1000 tiny shards slicing my fingers. Shopping right now for a replacement, but Microsoft has been awful about releasing flagships. I like the Icon, but I use the glance feature, and don't think it works on that particular model for some reason.

[Edited]
Saw the helpful posts about replacing the screen. I just ordered it a torx set off of Amazon with my free Amazon Bucks[SUP]TM[/SUP] I had laying around, so it was "free". I am notoriously bad at anything resembling repair or practical use with my hands, so it aught to be an adventure. I should have all of the microscopic glass fragments out by the time it arrives.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

You can get a 920 pretty reasonably priced, or replace your screen. In the meantime, put some clear packing tape over your screen to keep from sandpapering your fingers and to keep water out. I did the same thing with my 920, and the tape saved me wear and tear while I awaited a new screen assembly and tools.

bill2455

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Did the same thing a few months ago and replaced the screen/digitizer via an e-Bay seller, gadgetfix - $40-ish. First one didn't work (screen freeze, buttons unresponsive). Returned and quickly received a replacement that worked fine, the screen was beautiful again (thanks, LE55ONS on youtube). Then, last week, dropped the phone again. This time the screen survived but chipped the case on the corners and cracked it near the sim card slot. Back to e-Bay again, this time for a new case, $20. Just installed that this morning (thanks, Bud Maloney, youtube) and now I have a nearly new L920: great screen and a glossy red back - no blemishes on either. My L920 just keeps humming, all hail the L920.

The screen repair was a little involved the first time but easy after that. The back cover replacement was simple. I replaced my red back cover with another red cover but am thinking I might mix it up a bit with a white or cyan one. I'll keep the 2-year+ old L920 until I can get my hands on a 640XL, then go with the Win10 flagship when that launches.

Edit: I've also replaced the battery, so no more complaints there. About the quality of the parts: both the replacement screen/digitizer and back appeared to be genuine OEM parts. The screen had the Nokia brand on it and the back cover was absolutely identical to the part it replaced. Recommend both e-Bay sellers mentioned based on my experience.

Last edited:

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Just be really careful to buy an OFFICIAL screen. I tried to replace my 820 screen with an "100% oem!!" Screen of eBay, and after a reset or update it will stop working, because I can clearly tell it's not oem.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Just be really careful to buy an OFFICIAL screen. I tried to replace my 820 screen with an "100% oem!!" Screen of eBay, and after a reset or update it will stop working, because I can clearly tell it's not oem.

I think that's a risk that each person would judge. An aftermarket is around $40, whereas an original Nokia will be 2-3 times that.

I have found almost all aftermarkets to be reliable. The seller mentioned a few posts back is reliable, and will exchange or refund if it doesn't work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss