Sim Error Cost Effective Fix Sugggestions

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
It looks like my sim tray and 6 pin reader are damaged. I tried multiple cards, resets, etc to get it to read a sim and nothing worked. I looked up flex band cable assembly on eBay but still do not know the best course of action. I'm not the best with s soldering iron. What do you suggest is the most cost effective fix I can implement ?

I am in the Bay Area and if there are any good shops I would be willing to give it a try. Don't want to spend more than $45 for a fix.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It is possible to fix it w/o soldering, but it is a little bit of a pain. You can buy one of these main flex units Similar to this and replace that unit. The pain part is that it requires 3M tape that transmits power through the tape. A 1 inch strip of the tape costs a few bucks.

Getting the tape to stick, and work, is the pain part. I have tried it once, and it takes a little heat (like a hairdryer) to activate the tape. When I did it, I didn't apply heat, so it didn't stick. I actually need to get back to it and redo it, since it's the only thing between a mint unlocked 920 and the junk drawer.

Hope that helps. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It is possible to fix it w/o soldering, but it is a little bit of a pain. You can buy one of these main flex units Similar to this and replace that unit. The pain part is that it requires 3M tape that transmits power through the tape. A 1 inch strip of the tape costs a few bucks.

Getting the tape to stick, and work, is the pain part. I have tried it once, and it takes a little heat (like a hairdryer) to activate the tape. When I did it, I didn't apply heat, so it didn't stick. I actually need to get back to it and redo it, since it's the only thing between a mint unlocked 920 and the junk drawer.

Hope that helps. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Wish I looked at this post before I bought the SIM tray itself. It appears easier to just replace the whole thing there. You think it's possible to just fix the SIM pins by bending things around, or does it require the replacement?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Wish I looked at this post before I bought the SIM tray itself. It appears easier to just replace the whole thing there. You think it's possible to just fix the SIM pins by bending things around, or does it require the replacement?

To be honest, I am not sure. Worth a try suppose.

Replacing the whole unit is a bit of a pain also, but I am not good at soldering, so given the choice, I avoid the soldering. Some folks are good at it, so it's as big a deal to them.

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
well found someone who will do labor and parts for $35. I know this phone is maybe worth $80-90 max but it still has features better than the Lumia 635 I am using now.

I will be finally updating the battery as well. If I can get this thing to scrape by until October when HOPEFULLY there will be signs of new phone running WP10, than I would call that a win. Having a phone last 3 years is not a bad investment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss