Ridiculous overheating during regular usage?

FryderykChopin

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey so I've got this issue with my 920 - whenever I connect to wifi and start browsing Store or Internet (even simple sites like news or checking emails and stuff), the top of back side of my 920 extremelly overheats, it's almost little painful to touch. I have battery saved activated, no background application running, GPS obviously turned off, literally nothing that would seem to cause such heat except for the wifi and internet alone.

Is that a normal occurance? Does it happen to anyone else? Can it damage my phone? :unhappy:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No that's not normal, my 920 only really heats up like that (same area) with heavy web browsing over cellular. I'm not sure what's up, but I don't think its normal.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey so I've got this issue with my 920 - whenever I connect to wifi and start browsing Store or Internet (even simple sites like news or checking emails and stuff), the top of back side of my 920 extremelly overheats, it's almost little painful to touch. I have battery saved activated, no background application running, GPS obviously turned off, literally nothing that would seem to cause such heat except for the wifi and internet alone.

Is that a normal occurance? Does it happen to anyone else? Can it damage my phone? :unhappy:

Its not normal. Is it still under warranty? If yes bring it in ASAP (probably a bad motherboard), if not, try contacting Microsoft via online chat and state your issue (maybe they'll be kind enough to offer a goodwill repair). It will damage your screen especially, causing screen burn ins (yellow patches).

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
My 920, which has been pretty reasonable with power usage for two years now, has within the last week been acting poorly with the battery. This started happening a few days before the recent update and has continued since the update. No new applications installed for over a month.

The behavior is a combination of significantly more rapid than usual battery drain, weaker than usual recharging efficiency, and excessive heat production while idle and while in use. Basically, it's the kind of behavior that on a laptop would usually be associated with a process spinning at 100% of one or more of the CPU cores. I suspect something is running away with the CPU, but it's not one of my applications.

FryderykChopin, did the issue recently start with your 920 as well? Like within the last week or two?

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Tried shutdowns, reboots, etc. So far, nothing has restored regular battery functionality to the way it was about two weeks ago.
Battery consumption and head generation remain a big problem. Is there any sort of app that can give you real insight into what processes are consuming battery power? The Battery Saver app shows nothing of interest.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Is there any sort of app that can give you real insight into what processes are consuming battery power? The Battery Saver app shows nothing of interest.

Did you go into Battery Saver and slide over to usage and check, past 24 hours, past 48 hours, and past week mine shows what apps are the battery hogs and my battery last 18 to 36 hours depending on phone usage, OneDrive and Internet Explorer are my pigs.:smile:

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Here is all I see for the past 24 hours in Battery Saver. Note that through the work day, the phone is mostly sitting on its charging plate.

But for the past two weeks or so, the battery life while out and about has been considerably lower than the first two years of the phone's lifetime. And it's much warmer at idle, as if there is some process doing something.

Also I should mention that I've been using the developer version of 8.1 because AT&T was so slow to roll out Cortana (did they ever roll it out?)

wp_ss_20150622_0001.png

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Since you mentioned that youve been using the developer version of 8.1.
Here is what i had. I too used Dev Preview and got Denim (because apparently Africa - Uganda still doesnt have Denim update)
The heating and bad battery life started right after Cyan was installed and man it was a hot potato, Denim through Dev P cooled it down a little more but still the issue was present, in fact the screen started flickering after Denim update.

After a mobo and display replacement (yeah display got busted and turned yellow from all the heat) out of goodwill from MS
Its been great.

I suggest perhaps flashing a custom non service provider ROM (provided that your phone is unlocked)
If that seems too much of trouble and risk, perhaps try the software recovery tool and do a clean flash (lay off the Dev P to see if issues still persist)
*all that will delete data

All the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb