Is Windows 10 not supported on Lumia 920?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnet

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the insider preview on my Lumia 920 for months. Recently I installed Windows 10 on my father's Lumia 430 and noticed how much smoother it ran on this low budget device. I figured it was due to me running the insider preview. So I used to Nokia restore tool to get back to 8.1 and tried upgrading to Windows 10. But now I'm getting the message that the 920 isnt supported! Really Microsoft? The old flagship isnt supported?! Has anyone been able to get Windows 10 on their 920 without the preview program?

Ronnet

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, that sucks. It seems to me the 920 could use a firmware update to make it run smoother. I also could have sworn it was on the list of supported devices for a long time. Seems like Microsoft has really given up on Windows 10 Mobile.

Auggybendoggy

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
It was but was recently dropped. Not exactly sure why but that's the case. I am trying to get my wifes back using the insider program but fast and slow ring no longer allow the 920 to update. There's a 3rd option in the insider app so I chose that and now my 920 is updating. I have a thread on this very issue.

My 920 runs really well. It's only problem is the tiles, when scrolling can be a bit slow but usually it's not a problem Other than that, it runs acceptable.

Ronnet

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for letting me know the third option works. I was about to comment that the insider app doesnt allow me to update either.

Although running WP8.1 again, Im reminded what an amazing but flawed experience it was. W10M is almost equally flawed but not as amazing. I do hope a small team at MS will continue work on it.

Auggybendoggy

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
The 3rd option is - Insiders Preview. That one did take my wifes Lumia to W10. Seems to be working well.
I'll post info on my other thread on this - like the build version and so on.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Do not upgrade your 920 to W10M! It's horribly slow and has issues of all kinds. I was going to try to restore my 920 back to WP 8 but I just bought a 650 instead.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The problem is the old Snapdragon S4 processor. It doesn't work very well with Windows 10; look at the Lumia 1020. Many complained about performance issues with it this Microsoft said no dice to it, the 920, 925 & any other older flagship running the S4 processor. When I had my 925, I had it run alright but had horrible battery life; couldn't last a day whereas on 8.1 I used to get a day and a half on a single charge.

Auggybendoggy

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I can go back anytime, but so far my battery life seems to drain fine. Even under 8.1 I could only go a 1 - 1.5 days. And I only went 1.5 days if I turned off my locaitions, wifi, NFC and bluetooth. If everything was left on it only lasted 1 day. That seems to be the same for my 920 w/ W10.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had the opportunity to try build .164 on the 1020, and it seems to run just fine. Granted I haven't used numerous apps and extensively tested it, but routine operation of the OS is smooth and battery life appears to be relatively unchanged.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The problem is the old Snapdragon S4 processor. It doesn't work very well with Windows 10; look at the Lumia 1020. Many complained about performance issues with it this Microsoft said no dice to it, the 920, 925 & any other older flagship running the S4 processor. When I had my 925, I had it run alright but had horrible battery life; couldn't last a day whereas on 8.1 I used to get a day and a half on a single charge.

Lets not generalize :) While it may not have been perfect for you, others did have a great time running it on those devices. The problem MS faced and is still facing, is that they can't seem to provide an equal experience for everyone. Take the flagship 950's for example; some have complained, others are just living with the bugs and some have claimed very good experiences.

Of course there will always be those that tend to complain and whine, but in this case, after experiencing the bugs myself, some of those complaints seem to be valid.

The reason MS gave "there were too many complaints" might actually be the reason, or it might just be a cover :p Like I said the 950 users complained as well/the 730 users complained as well/the 830 users complained as well (some have started to complain recently lol) but these "older" devices were still allowed to upgrade. So I will continue to say that it was less about the complaining and more about the fact that they can't guarantee a flawless experience for everyone.

I don't mind the move :) held on to my 920 thinking that it would get w10.. probably should've bought sth else

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i know it's been mentioned before, but for those (like me) using older s4 handsets, and wanting win10 via preview (obviously!) then ensure you go into

settings > privacy > feedback & diagnostics > and set the bottom option to basic as opposed to enhanced or full

this seems to smooth out and reduce daily stress on the unit, having to send telemetry and data back and forth and made everything a lot leaner on my 1020

HTH

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 had a 18 month support window whereas Windows 10 has 36 months of support.

You can install Windows 10 on phones that are outside of the support window, but you will not gain additional support time for doing so.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Lets not generalize :) While it may not have been perfect for you, others did have a great time running it on those devices. The problem MS faced and is still facing, is that they can't seem to provide an equal experience for everyone. Take the flagship 950's for example; some have complained, others are just living with the bugs and some have claimed very good experiences.

Of course there will always be those that tend to complain and whine, but in this case, after experiencing the bugs myself, some of those complaints seem to be valid.

The reason MS gave "there were too many complaints" might actually be the reason, or it might just be a cover :p Like I said the 950 users complained as well/the 730 users complained as well/the 830 users complained as well (some have started to complain recently lol) but these "older" devices were still allowed to upgrade. So I will continue to say that it was less about the complaining and more about the fact that they can't guarantee a flawless experience for everyone.

I don't mind the move :) held on to my 920 thinking that it would get w10.. probably should've bought sth else

Exactly my thoughts too. Apart from the occasional app crash my 920 works fine with W10 not perfect as in 8.1 but fine. For many others its not the case. I was thinking,this so called old hardware has the potential to run w10 but isnt to be as MS is currently spending limited resources on windows mobile (the layoffs and all), so they are not investing resources in older hardware as its not profitable.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I've had my 650 for 5 days now,and compared to running W10M on my 920, it's like day and night. The 650 is much faster, more responsive and has yet to have anything crash. I've also found that playing with it throughout the day still leaves me with half battery by dinnertime. My 920 was dead by then.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Thumbs up, the Insider Preview option is working nicely. Got a 950 which is obviously my prime device but it'll be nice having the 920 for app development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo