Disappointment? Lack of improvements in the Lumia 925

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using the Lumia 920, which I like a lot. I was really looking forward to today to see what else Nokia had up their sleeve and was pretty disappointed to see it's just a lighter version of what I already have.

6 Months is a long time in technology and the competition is getting better and better. I'm pretty shocked that Nokia had a press conference to announce this phone.

Is anyone else disappointed with the lack of improvements in this announcement (both software and hardware):cry:?

Last edited by a moderator:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Disappointment?

Those who where actually waiting for update for Lumia 920 are certainly disappointed.

Though I just wanna remind those people that before you see large software update from Microsoft you simply should not wait for core hardware updates. Just like with previous years you will see big Windows Phone update at some point that brings 1080p support and new Qualcomm higher end SoC to the table. Then you will see Nokia, HTC and Samsung all releasing new flagships with same core specifications. Probably around Q4 this year with Nokia once again using their Nokia World event around September.

So as I was keeping that in mind and all the rumors there was really no surprises to me here. Though I will say I would have wished 32GB version (or is there 32GB version? Some are saying Vodafone is getting 32GB version). I'm 50/50 will I get Lumia 925 or wait till end of this year. I do like the design and use of metal on the phone personally.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

MS must release new Major Update for WP8 , then only Nokia can release next generation hardware along with newest OS packed.

Currently S4 SoCs in Lumia devices can't support more than 20 MP and I already knew 925 would be very similar 920/928.

I expected 16 MP though (yes more MP don't count into quality but still)

EDIT : also 64GB version but they downgraded it from 32 to 16 GB lol

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

The camera is the best out there, and they have improved on that from what I understand with some software and the extra lens.

The processor is something they can improve on - I was under the impression that winphn 8 could support 16 cores or something??

Going from 32 to 16 seems silly to me as well, especially when you can't add to this with an sd card.

Resolution is something that a screen this size could use. I'd like to have room for 3 of the medium sized tiles per row.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

I chose the HTC 8x over the 920 because I didn't like the shape and weight of the 920. If the 925 had been available (on AT&T) at that time I probably would have chosen the it over the 8x. I can see why 920 owners don't see the 925 as an improvement, but for those of us who didn't like the 920 it is a huge improvement. This is the phone Nokia should have released when they released that brick of a phone, the 920.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

The processor is something they can improve on - I was under the impression that winphn 8 could support 16 cores or something??

In theory NT kernel can support 64 cores, though all Windows Phones will need to use Qualcomm SoC's. Also it's a different thing to support number of cores and it's a different thing to combine OS and specific SoC. You don't just simply stuck new SoC to device and expect it to work. :D There's a reason why there's only one SoC used in every single high end Windows Phone.
If it was free to use anything, you would have seen Samsung using it's own SoC long time ago or HTC using Qualcomm 600. rather every single of these manufacturers use Qualcomm MSM 8960. It was the same with Mango and first WP release.

I can guarantee you that with GDR3 you will see Qualcomm 600 or 800 in every single high end Windows Phone once again. Part of the reason why WP is smooth is the limited SoC availability to manufacturers and optimization resulted by it. Should there be more options? I do think there should.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

I'm good with my 920.
That wireless charging cover looks uuuuugggly (but i'd have to see it in person to judge it).

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

In my opinion the materials look cheap, the design is hideous. I am very disappointed. 920 still the best looking phone out there.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

The problem here is not the hardware, it's the software. Without Microsoft getting off their asses, Nokia can only do so much. The problem is that Microsoft takes WAY TOO MUCH time with the updates. The updates that should've been there since day 1 of WP8. Microsoft is the only reason why WP is lagging so much. Hardware is here, and hardware is beautiful. Not only that, but OEM also give hardware with unique features not present on other platforms.

If you want to be disappointed, blame Microsoft. Enough with the "Oh next update to WP will make it a groundbreaking moment".

Am I disappointed with this unveil? Not really. This phone gives consumers a choice. And the fact that it's coming to T-Mob. If it wasn't coming to T-Mob, then I would be really disappointed.

Windowlino

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

Disappointed, but happy to see the purchase of Lumia 920 was a right decision :)

Lumia 925 is thinner and lighter which is better. It has an AMOLED Display which may be better.

It does worse in battery performance (according to Nokias Tech Specs), has no wireless charging and less memory.

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Color me a bit disappointed, I am glad I did not stay up until 4 am for the announcement. I am glad more people will get access to lumia's, but next time in color! I was hoping for a 20 mp Pureview sensor along with 32 GB.

Edit: I see many major phone companies lined up to sell the 925 in the UK and Europe. That is a major win. I am happy for my UK and European friends. At least Nokia will be launching on multiple carriers. That is progress, and the thinner form factor will definitely attract people. :)

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

I agree with others that this should have been the phone Nokia released in the first place. I do like the fact that it is thinner but disappointed that they have dropped wireless charging now I need to decide if I want to wait it out till a decent 920 replacement arrives or change to something different all together.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

ignorance is at its best here.
Obviously 925 is cater to Vodafone hence the press conference. and...
Obviously 925 is not targeting 920 owners.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I am disappointed yet relieved. I was scared that my 920 would be outdated by this device, but it is only an upgrade in thickness(I dont like the design, 920 is better) and camera has an extra lens (920 already takes good enough shots for me) .

Why didn't they release it with 32gb standard is a mystery to me and I agree with the posts above mentioning that it is only a matter of choice rather than upgrades.

But I feel sad since the tech sites are going to again compare this with the 1080p screens, octa (quad) core processors etc of android and say other crap about this .. sigh

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Here is G's take.

The 925 is nothing more than a 920 that requires a case. The 920 already has, lets call it "a built-in case". The 920 is still the closest thing to the perfect phone in my opinion.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

People were hyping up the 925/928 quite a bit.

I just couldn't see them outdating the Lumia 920 so soon. It would be too similar to the Nokia 900/920 debacle(except 920 owners will be able to update the OS).

I am just sad it doesn't come in colors is all

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site

A bit disappointed, since I guess deep down I was hoping for a sneak peek or an announcement of the EOS. Well I guess we just have to patiently wait for the next flagship.

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

People were hyping up the 925/928 quite a bit.

I just couldn't see them outdating the Lumia 920 so soon. It would be too similar to the Nokia 900/920 debacle(except 920 owners will be able to update the OS).

I am just sad it doesn't come in colors is all
well said, they have spent a lot of money on 920 advertising, still has some time left with the 925 and 928 before SoC is updated.

vladi

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

1. They got rid of the wireless charging which means either they want to make it accessory only and make more money of it or nobody was buying wireless chargers so nobody cares

2. Colors are gone, add on cover doesn't count.

Those are my main two issues. Ever since I got rid of WebOS I cant adjust myself to habit that I need to plug my phone to charge it. Also I cannot understand why other OSes cant integrate VOIP and IM third party services into native Phone and Messaging apps but instead I have to jump from app to an app just to reply to IM.

UoTegne

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

In my opinion Nokia have done an Apple here.. "Ooh, it's a bit thinner and has some shiny photo apps." perhaps they should have called it the 920s.
The only difference here is that there aren't armies of gullible 920 owners queueing up to up to buy the latest shiny. I'd have seriously considered replacing it for a 928 if that was actually coming to the UK.. which it sounds like it isn't :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb