Disappointment? Lack of improvements in the Lumia 925

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Disappointment?

In my opinion Nokia have done an Apple here.. "Ooh, it's a bit thinner and has some shiny photo apps." perhaps they should have called it the 920s.
The only difference here is that there aren't armies of gullible 920 owners queueing up to up to buy the latest shiny. I'd have seriously considered replacing it for a 928 if that was actually coming to the UK.. which it sounds like it isn't :(

It should have been the Lumia 919.

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

Kind of annoys me people are saying the 925 is NOT a disappointment when it clearly is.

Look at the 928. It is a clear progression from the 920 - it only has improvements and none of the features were removed.

In the 925 the design is subjective so we wont go there. As for features....seriously seriously lackluster. Why not include the mic array from the 928? Why no xenon/LED? Why not use the amplified speaker?

In short the 925 is a cop out. They followed market trends...which was stupid. Nokia have always been admired for their designs and innovation....925 has neither. Its just 'another phone' with the only thing setting it apart from the crowd being WP8...which whilst i love it lets face it it still has a way to go before being able to go head to head against iOS and droid (W Blue will hopefully sort that in a few months)

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

The stock market appears to be a bit disappointed in today's announcement. It might be a buying opportunity, if you're into that sort of thing.

theta_orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

It's "thinner and lighter" which seems to have been the knock I read the most about the 920 and it looks like Nokia may have addressed those who were on the fence about a new Lumia because of that. While I'm not a fan of the bulbous "camera nipple" it seems this was a concession in the quest for thinness.

Having said all that, my disappointment is not nearly as important as what the folks with applephones , android and WP7 think. The camera is one of the best out there; I think it'll enjoy some popularity.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

I just got a Rogers 920, so I'm good on T-Mobile USA with it, but personally, I think the 925 is absolutely gorgeous. The only thing about it that irks me is that it's only got 16GB of storage. At the same time, I have an iPhone 4 that's 16GB and was good with that for a year and a half. If I didn't already have my 920, I'd definitely be getting the 925 this summer - in white.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I just got a Rogers 920, so I'm good on T-Mobile USA with it, but personally, I think the 925 is absolutely gorgeous. The only thing about it that irks me is that it's only got 16GB of storage. At the same time, I have an iPhone 4 that's 16GB and was good with that for a year and a half. If I didn't already have my 920, I'd definitely be getting the 925 this summer - in white.
Have you seen the attachment thing for wireless charging on the 925? It's a joke! At least with the 810 it was like being built in since it replaced the battery cover entirely. That and the micro USB has been moved to the top. Even if you could deal with 16 GB and no expandable storage, you can't change hardware. If you didn't have a 920 already, I would have recommended you skip the 925 anyway.

Markyyy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

I think the 950's design is a significant stepdown from the gorgeous polycabonate designs of the Lumia 800/900/920. There are too many seams with the 950. I'd not be saying this if they'd gne with a 2-part design of the glass front and a seamless aluminium backing. My ideal Lumia would take the shape of the Lumia 800 but round off it's top and bottom to resemble the 820's rounded edges.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Have you seen the attachment thing for wireless charging on the 925? It's a joke! At least with the 810 it was like being built in since it replaced the battery cover entirely. That and the micro USB has been moved to the top. Even if you could deal with 16 GB and no expandable storage, you can't change hardware. If you didn't have a 920 already, I would have recommended you skip the 925 anyway.

I saw it. Looks a bit odd, but I suppose it works. Isn't it the same wireless charging option for the 720? Seems like they're moving away from removable covers for charging and just having those that just slip onto the back of the phone.

I'm actually quite happy I have a 920. I wouldn't want to downgrade from 32GB to 16GB.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Why its a joke? So any phone with a snap on case is a joke? Get over it, enjoy your 920 and let others have their right to own all the best of lumia.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

IDK, I think it looks fine and gives me an alternative to ATT if I decide to go to T-Mobile... Yeah, my ATT 920 would work on T-M, but I believe it won't get 4G on T-Mobile. Could be wrong though?

Josh Cea

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

This isn't a upgrade for the 920, its a variant of the 920, as is the case of the 928. They weren't meant to replace the 920, they're meant to attract more customers and to expand their market by putting the flagship Nokia phone on multiple carriers. I.e. the 928 is Verizon only, the 925 is T-Mobile only, and the 920 is AT&T only.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm glad that T-Mobile has a decent Lumia now. My cousin wants a Lumia and is on T-Mobile. Now I have a great phone to recommend.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Why its a joke? So any phone with a snap on case is a joke? Get over it, enjoy your 920 and let others have their right to own all the best of lumia.
Not saying any phone with a snap on case is a joke (don't make "snap" judgments now, hehe), but the video I saw with Rubino and that snap on yellow thing just made it look like a toy. Extremely unpolished and not clean looking in the slightest. And I don't have a 920.

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Can't say I'm disappointed knowing this was a variant of the 920. Good to know it will work on T-Mobile LTE.

sj55555

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

This is precisely what happens when people who think they're smartphone mavens complain about the 920 being too chunky and heavy. Nokia wastes 6 months trying to please these knuckleheads when they could have added features that would have really made a difference. Next time just STFU, because you're not helping Nokia's cause. Their stock is being hammered today as a result.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss