Disappointment? Lack of improvements in the Lumia 925

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Disappointment?

Can't say I'm disappointed knowing this was a variant of the 920. Good to know it will work on T-Mobile LTE.

The ATT 920 will work on T-Mobile AWS 3G, PCS 3G, and LTE if you just flash the Euro dev ROM. Out of the box it won't support AWS 3G.

A Rogers 920 will support AWS 3G OOB.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have to say my disappointment is not so much in this phone as it is with Nokia and MS. This phone is but a reflection of the issues that will make Windows Phone more and more difficult for people to want to take up. It just adds confusion. I know a lot of people are going to jump on me and say that the carriers are partly to blame but keep in mind this phone is coming to the EU as well. Who is it for exactly?

There's so much fragmentation happening with just Nokia phones that's it's going to start making it unattractive for someone to take up Windows Phone. Choice is great but this is getting a little silly now.

There should have been, right from the get go only one flagship Lumia 920 for all carriers across the world and then a couple of lower end phones later on. It's called branding. Everyone knows what an iPhone is and what you get if you buy an iPhone. Unfortunately people are going to get confused about what a Lumia 9xx is because there's way too many varriants on it.

That's my disappointment and for the moment I'm ok with my Lumia 920 but I'm growing slightly impatient with the way things are on Windows Phone, I think I may have jumped on it too early for me to love it. Like it, yes, love it, no.

sj55555

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

There's so much fragmentation happening with just Nokia phones that's it's going to start making it unattractive for someone to take up Windows Phone. Choice is great but this is getting a little silly now.

I don't think you know what fragmentation means. Any app that runs in the 920 will run on the 925. Devs won't have to do anything special to get an app to run on the 925.

If you're talking about accessory fragmentation, then, yes, every new model that doesn't have the exact form factor as a prior model introduces fragmentation. But it's not like there are tons of accessories designed only for the Lumia 920 form factor.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Nope, within the WP8 family of devices there is zero fragmentation.

Fragmentation only becomes an issue if I want to target both WP7 and WP8, which is easily avoided by targeting only WP7, because that will also run on WP8.

slotti

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I mentioned this over in the charging plate thread already, but didn't anybody notice that the charging plate covers up the speaker!!!
That's a major design flaw and I cannot believe the stupidity that went into it. So if you want wireless charging, you have to sacrifice the speaker? Really? Come on Nokia, cannot be that hard to cut an opening in that charging shell, you did it for flash and camera lens. If they do it no, I'll take credit for it :smile:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I mentioned this over in the charging plate thread already, but didn't anybody notice that the charging plate covers up the speaker!!!
That's a major design flaw and I cannot believe the stupidity that went into it. So if you want wireless charging, you have to sacrifice the speaker? Really? Come on Nokia, cannot be that hard to cut an opening in that charging shell, you did it for flash and camera lens. If they do it no, I'll take credit for it :smile:

I would imagine it doesn't block the sound. The speaker after all is in the back, but a hand back of the phone with a speaker in back and the sounds gets louder as it gets bounced more towards you.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Those who where actually waiting for update for Lumia 920 are certainly disappointed.

Though I just wanna remind those people that before you see large software update from Microsoft you simply should not wait for core hardware updates. Just like with previous years you will see big Windows Phone update at some point that brings 1080p support and new Qualcomm higher end SoC to the table. Then you will see Nokia, HTC and Samsung all releasing new flagships with same core specifications. Probably around Q4 this year with Nokia once again using their Nokia World event around
September.

UK Vodaphone has an exclusive on the black 32GB model TMo US has an exclusive in USA and they will have the 16gb versions. after the exclusivity periods ends who know what will happen?

So as I was keeping that in mind and all the rumors there was really no surprises to me here. Though I will say I would have wished 32GB version (or is there 32GB version? Some are saying Vodafone is getting 32GB version). I'm 50/50 will I get Lumia 925 or wait till end of this year. I do like the design and use of metal on the phone personally.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't think you know what fragmentation means. Any app that runs in the 920 will run on the 925. Devs won't have to do anything special to get an app to run on the 925.

If you're talking about accessory fragmentation, then, yes, every new model that doesn't have the exact form factor as a prior model introduces fragmentation. But it's not like there are tons of accessories designed only for the Lumia 920 form factor.

Nope, within the WP8 family of devices there is zero fragmentation.

Well, yes I do know what fragmentation means. Different form factors, different OS RAM in the device, confusing numbering. So yes I know what fragmentation is. There's already software fragmentation between 7 and 8 and then on top of that there's between 'flagships' and lower end phones due to the OS RAM. There's already software out that can't run on lower end WP8 handsets. It can look a bit confusing to someone who doesn't know.

Also not everything that runs on WP7 runs on well 8.

Just an opinion anyway. Whatever will happen will happen. Either WP will succeed or it will tank.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ nope, that is not what fragmentation means.

Fragmentation occurs only when software must explicitly consider differences in hardware or OS configurations. If you have 300 different devices, but software can't tell the difference between them, there is no fragmentation. For example, form factors are irrelevant in that regard.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The ATT 920 will work on T-Mobile AWS 3G, PCS 3G, and LTE if you just flash the Euro dev ROM. Out of the box it won't support AWS 3G.

A Rogers 920 will support AWS 3G OOB.

Have you done this to confirm or have any links where it has been? My unlocked 920 is getting crap reception and if a flash would fix it I'd like to try that. Thanks.

Edit: nvm, got the info I need.

Last edited:

LanunReviews

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't be as disappointed if the L925 had the same Xenon flash as the 928, which in my opinion is superior to the L920. But on the hand the L925 looks to be inferior to the L920 and obviously L928, with its step back in both storage and design. The camera is touted to be the best out of the 3 so I'll have to wait until more in-depth reviews come out on the real-world performance on this before deciding whether to pick up the L920 or L925.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

IDK about a Xenon flash... Most articles say it can't be used constantly on (video or flashlight)... I have to admit that I use my 920 as a flashlight very often... I might not mind a xenon flash, but only if an LED flash was also included.

MattMamba2012

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

IDK about a Xenon flash... Most articles say it can't be used constantly on (video or flashlight)... I have to admit that I use my 920 as a flashlight very often... I might not mind a xenon flash, but only if an LED flash was also included.

928 has both xenon and led. I agree with you, I also use my Lumia 920 as a flashlight and I don't think that's possible with a xenon flash. I don't know why though.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

There is a slit, if you even care to check before opening fire.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Nope. Not disappointed and its not all about you. This time.
Hardware spec is mostly illusionary IMHO. We have a very good spec in the L920. Great camera and fantastic support. Speaking for myself, I'm living the dream.

My L920 runs apps like butter. No lag in this phone. I can sit my phone on a QI bed at night and Its hot first thing in the morning with an all day battery. I could never do that when I was on that google mess. I can now.
Bottom line, I'm good.

L925? Cool. Its some T-Mo love. What I'm more interested in is what will be added to the OS...namely, Notification Center.

Yeah, stuff like SD card, removable battery would be cool to have at some point but this OS is still young yet and it has to have time to evolve. I don't want another Windows Mobile debacle. So I'm content to wait. We got more of the most sought after apps in the mobile world, both here and on the way. Disappointment isn't how I see it. Its not about me this time, err, not directly. Next time, it'll be all about me.

echoshizzle

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

If this phone is more than $400 I'll be disappointed.

I personally feel you are giving up a few key features (32gb, Xenon flash and wireless charging) compared to the 920/928. Xenon flash especially. I understand you are giving it up because of the size,but at the same time you're buying a phone that's been on the market for 6 months. If the camera isn't significantly better than the 920 in day light; I think anything over $400 will be overpriced.

With all of that said I'm glad T-Mobile is finally getting a flagship phone. In some ways I would have loved to see a 720 variant get released on t-mobile to hold us over until the next wave of Lumia devices later this year but this is a great start. If the price is right and it works on my old non contract $10 web plan, I very well may pick this up!

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm happy with the announcement. I don't want they kill off the Nokia 920 for only 6 months old. This gives me time to enjoy my Nokia 920 'till next upgrade end of this year.
But I already knew ahead of time of the announcement. This is just the release of refresh Nokia 920 for the other two Verizon and T-Mobile. They did not have the flagship Nokia phone like ATT.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I am not disappointed at all. There are some technological advances here and software improvement for which a press conference is justified.
1. Significantly thinner and lighter phone with significant internal changes in the design. First for Nokia.(This is just like iPhone 4S vs iphone 5 change for which they had a bigger press conference)
2. Improved camera than 920. Theoretically should perform better than 920 in more varied conditions and should be able to fare well against HTC One, iphone 5 and GS4.
3. Better speaker(audio quality enhancement)
4. AMOLED(should consume less battery power compared to 920)

SW:
New Nokia camera apps. Which also warrant a press conference. Why? So that they can demo the people how to use those apps
with some real-world examples. Now I know, they can make an ad for that, but I believe running an ad program is more expensive than arranging a press conference
where several blogs will do automatic advertisement for you and create buzz.
Double tap to wake, FM radio, Podcast app.

Now if you consider the overall changes, I think it provides a very good competition to the phones release this year also.(only if people look past the on-paper specs which is
Nokia's marketing challenge)

I'm currently using the Lumia 920, which I like a lot. I was really looking forward to today to see what else Nokia had up their sleeve and was pretty disappointed to see it's just a lighter version of what I already have.

6 Months is a long time in technology and the competition is getting better and better. I'm pretty shocked that Nokia had a press conference to announce this phone.

Is anyone else disappointed with the lack of improvements in this announcement (both software and hardware):cry:?

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

16GB is a joke.......... should've been 64GB but I would've settled for 32GB. Tmo just continues to be the little guy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12