920 Owners Hating on the 925

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Why? We already know everything about it. It's a 920 - 16GB - Qi charging - colors - thickness - weight

Yes, but the reality is that you stated "its not as good..." To truly come to that conclusion, you have to test out both devices. Spec wise, the only difference is 16gb vs 32gb and maybe the type of screen. But technically speaking (same processors, hardware, battery, etc,) they are both equally awesome. Storage wise, its a personal preference. But to say something is not as good when you haven't seen, touched, tested, etc it out I think is kind of proving what the op was saying...

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but the reality is that you stated "its not as good..." To truly come to that conclusion, you have to test out both devices. Spec wise, the only difference is 16gb vs 32gb and maybe the type of screen. But technically speaking (same processors, hardware, battery, etc,) they are both equally awesome. Storage wise, its a personal preference. But to say something is not as good when you haven't seen, touched, tested, etc it out I think is kind of proving what the op was saying...

Like I already stated, less storage AND no Qi charging. You really don't need to test out both devices, they're basically the same phone but missing some hardware. It's going to run the software EXACTLY THE SAME. It has the SAME processor, RAM, screen resolution.

Worse hardware --> not as good
Not that hard of a logical step

Plus it's just plain ugly

I can't believe they held an event for this phone. HEY LOOK GUYS! WE DUMBED DOWN OUR 920!!!

And it looks like people agree. Nokia stocks are down 5.5%, while the rest of the market is up. I was hoping it would go up when they had their awesome announcement but it was just pathetic. Nokia really needs to learn when to keep quiet and when a product actually deserves a big event.

Release a phablet damn it, Nokia!

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Kind of a blanket statement that isn't true. I have a 920 and am just fine with the 925. More Windows Phones out there and more chances for people to get them the better. I don't feel stuck with my phone at all. I know I'm in for 2 years and I'm good with it.
which statement was the "blanket" one?
Sent from my AT&T Cali Blue HTC 8x using Board Express

Lumia928

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I am a 920 owner, and was planning on upgrading to the next new Lumia, but I will not be upgrading to the 925.

Why?

-No wireless charging - big time saver for me
-Don't like the bulging camera - rather ugly.

Unfortunately, this is not much of an update at all (Note I am not disputing it is an update... It is just a very marginal one)... They really need to bring something out with the wow factor now.

This is not to say I am mocking the device, but it simply has no appeal for me to upgrade, given it will cost me ?150+ to upgrade the phone, and I'll lose my wireless charging which I really like. I would rather hang on a little longer and upgrade when they have brought lots more features / designs etc.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yeah don't stress too much, we all have reasons for liking the various models. There are some specs that you can say are better or worse, some that are subjective, and some that are plain preference. Embrace the choice and welcome variety to the WP platform as that should help draw more people to it which is better for us all.

EDDS

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP thinks the 925 is clearly better than the 920 when it's not.

Both have pro's and con's against each other, the 925 is just a variant of the 920 with a few extra features and a few less features. Neither could be considered better because there is so little difference and it's up to the buyer which features are most important.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
WOW!!!! I just watched the video on WPCentral. At about a minute and 10 seconds into the vid the guy shows the 920 and 925 side x side with screens on. The 925 screen kills the 920!!! I mean kills it.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm detecting quite a bit of rationalizing going on around here. 920 owners are hating on the 925 so they can feel better about being stuck with their 920 while new Lumia's are released. It's a disappointment, a step back, who cares if it's thinner, etc....... too funny.

The negative comments from some of the Lumia 920 owners are very childish and disappointing. Truth is, if the Lumia 925 had everything that the Lumia 920, sans the yellow, red, and cyan colors, then those same Lumia 920 owners would be mad because Nokia released a device that was on par with Lumia 920 and with, while subjective, a favorable design.

I like the Lumia 920, 925, and 928. And I like, even more so, that Nokia is actually putting thought behind their designs instead of just release plain and unimaginative slabs.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't hate the 925. I just thought with all the hype and a press conference there would have been more to it than a variant.

Guess we were looking for the 920 successor, but that is yet to be announced. You know what they say, high expectations, lead to disappointment.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
There is a lot of negativity on the 925. I think some people were expecting a massive overhaul, even though it was always rumored to be a thinner aluminum 920 variant. How much can you expect to improve while also making it thinner? The 925 numbering was also a pretty good clue it wouldn't be a massive upgrade.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm detecting quite a bit of rationalizing going on around here. 920 owners are hating on the 925 so they can feel better about being stuck with their 920 while new Lumia's are released. It's a disappointment, a step back, who cares if it's thinner, etc....... too funny.

I have a 920 and I like the fact that that the 925 is thinner and less weight. I hope that that does not result in higher rates of breakage and screen cracking. I am not envious or jealous of the 925 because I ;like my 920 and enjoy its 32GB of storage. I am happy being on ATT and am not really into TMO or VZN or Sprint. I think and hope that the 925 will be a great device for and do well by TMO. The same with the 928 on VZN. We need all the carriers here in the US to carry WP* great phones and build the ecosystem.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't get how people could have expected anything else than what the L925 turned out to be. Did people decide to ignore everything being reported on, and collectively infect themselves with a massive case of wishful thinking?

Expecting an EOS announcement was just as ridiculous. Remember all the hate that went Nokia's way because they couldn't ship the L920 within days of announcing it? Now people were hoping Nokia would announce a device that everyone knows requires GDR3 that isn't scheduled to arrive before fall???

How could any community be more inconsistent?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't get how people could have expected anything else than what the L925 turned out to be. Did people decide to ignore everything being reported on, and collectively infect themselves with a massive case of wishful thinking?

Expecting an EOS announcement was just as ridiculous. Remember all the hate that went Nokia's way because they couldn't ship the L920 within days of announcing it? Now people were hoping Nokia would announce a device that everyone knows requires GDR3 that isn't scheduled to arrive before fall???

DeLorean time machine, solves everything! :cool:

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I will admit I am jealous of the diet the 925 got. My only gripes with the 920 are it's thickness and weight. I don't much like the bulging camera design of the 925 but don't hate it. But 16gb and no wireless charging are a huge let down. I would choose my 920 over the 925 if I was buying new today. Instead I'll just be waiting for the next that has all of the above.

But with that said, in the meantime I am happy to have more windows phones out and about! Everyone always says "woah what phone is that?".

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Remember when a bunch of people were angry when Nokia released the Lumia 920 six months after the Lumia 900?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Remember when a bunch of people were angry when Nokia released the Lumia 920 six months after the Lumia 900?
I really think this was better. T-Mobile and VZW are getting flagship devices now, and the AT&T users will get a new flagship device on a more normal schedule (once a year).

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I really think this was better. T-Mobile and VZW are getting flagship devices now, and the AT&T users will get a new flagship device on a more normal schedule (once a year).

I think it's good too, but I was addressing the people who expected a major upgrade like EOS.

I actually might get the 925, depending on pricing and unlockability.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Thats odd as I troll these boards pretty often and haven't seen that. How about providing a few examples?

Oh. and someone simply stating the device may not be their cup-o-tea isn't considered "hating". Please keep that in mind when presenting your examples.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte