05-21-2013 10:51 PM
44 12
tools
    Maybe vodafone wanted it to be exclusive to them.
    Vodafone is only in EU! Does no consumer business in the U.S. T-Mobile could get the 32GB if they wanted it since they do no consumer business in the EU! Both are exclusive marketplace with no overlap. T-Mobile decided upon the 16GB only model based on sales of the iPhone5 16GB which is the most popular version.
    Last edited by Harry Wild; 05-16-2013 at 01:06 AM.
    05-15-2013 05:49 AM
    Personally I think the 16Gb of storage is ok, but the biggest problem is no MicroSD slot.

Its a problem because they are marketing the top end Lumia's for their photographic prowess, which is far better then their competition. But if you take just one big long film then the bulk of that 16Gb of storage is going to be filled up. The Lumia team really do start to need to think about their flagship devices partly as cameras, adding in the MicroSD slot for a small extra cost would instantly remove all the storage problems it will run into as a Camera (and also with the maps storage make it even better as a smartphone/music player).

Personally I'm still part way through my Lumia 900 contract, and my next phone is going to be something EOS like, but if both options were the same price I would pick 16Gb with a MicroSD over 32Gb without, probably even 64Gb would be trumped by 16Gb + MicroSD at the same prices on a pureview camera phone.
    05-15-2013 06:06 AM
    Before moving to WP8, I had owned a series of 64GB iPhones, which were usually full. I'd have bought 128 if it was available.

My enduring gripe with my HTC 8X (on T-mo) has been the 16g limitation, which has pretty much resulted in me carrying my old iPhone as a backup.

The rampant "other" storage issue on WP8 certainly hasn't helped any.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a 928, if it had an SD slot, but it doesn't. So, I was ready to pull the trigger on a 925, but not only does it not have an SD slot, but the US version only has a non-expandable 16????

??

If I want inadequate, I can stick with my 8X.

Nokia said they didn't want to compromise the design. Well, I don't give a crap how it looks if it can't do the job. That's why I'm moving away from Apple.

Thinking really seriously about getting a 521 and putting s 64GB SD card in it. Of course then, half my apps probably won't work in only 512MB of RAM.
    MSFTisMIA and Kevin Rush like this.
    05-15-2013 03:50 PM
    There is no way I can live with 16GB, but I guess most people out there don't need more than 16... online radio helps a bunch, people listen to Pandora and other services like that, so they don't store music on their phones.

I have 16gb + 64sd card in my 808 ... over 45GB of music, and tons of pictures and videos
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-15-2013 04:54 PM
    True. I meant to conclude my post with the possibility of that but got caught up in a blind rage following another low memory error! :P
    Download the free clesr storage app from the store?
    05-15-2013 05:17 PM
    16GB doesn't make any sense... I don't know what's wrong with Nokia, but it seems like their old days of trying to save money on silly things like that are not over.

Verizon got the best "920 variant" .. good for them :)

That xenon flash alone puts in well ahead..
    One thing on the camera that's present in Lumia 925 is the 6th lens that's not available on Lumia 928. We will see just what kind of difference it really makes.

I'm still confused how will this 16GB and 32GB model be handled here in Europe. Especially with the large unlocked market. Can we buy the 32GB model?

There is no way I can live with 16GB, but I guess most people out there don't need more than 16... online radio helps a bunch, people listen to Pandora and other services like that, so they don't store music on their phones.

I have 16gb + 64sd card in my 808 ... over 45GB of music, and tons of pictures and videos
    Thinking the industry leading music quality via 3.5mm and that camera, you can not help to fill that phone with videos, music and photos. I sure have. :D
    05-15-2013 05:40 PM
    Who is the market?
    It is a more classy "classic" device than the 920, 928... So who will buy these phones? Will it be hardcore WP users? No!

This Lumia 925 is a device designed to get Nokia in to the suits world where the 920, 928 are a bit too big and too heavy.
    Also it will be more appealing to ladies who have smaller hands.
    Using an Aluminum frame and three classic colors gives Nokia access to a different market and the ability to create custom colored (Anodized) frames.
    I remind you that Microsoft wants to get WP8 into the corporate world.

Now, do these users need 32 or 64 Gb for their corporate phone? I one word... NO.

If the product sells well, Nokia can promote 32 and 64 Gb versions down the road for hardcore WP8 fans. A question of having enough volume to justify those devices.
    05-16-2013 10:04 AM
    Who is the market?
    It is a more classy "classic" device than the 920, 928... So who will buy these phones? Will it be hardcore WP users? No!

This Lumia 925 is a device designed to get Nokia in to the suits world where the 920, 928 are a bit too big and too heavy.
    Also it will be more appealing to ladies who have smaller hands.
    Using an Aluminum frame and three classic colors gives Nokia access to a different market and the ability to create custom colored (Anodized) frames.
    I remind you that Microsoft wants to get WP8 into the corporate world.

Now, do these users need 32 or 64 Gb for their corporate phone? I one word... NO.

If the product sells well, Nokia can promote 32 and 64 Gb versions down the road for hardcore WP8 fans. A question of having enough volume to justify those devices.
    I have to agree...before the 925, the only silver colored wp 8 device was the Ativ S. When the HTC one was leaked, before it was even released, ppl commented, "Why doesn't Nokia make a thinner aluminum device?" Sure its not the HTC one of Windows Phone, but its an answer to a design that was much asked about. The fact that it was implemented as a design concept last year when they started the design process for the 925 says that Nokia was at least slightly ahead of the trend. There are those that don't want colored devices...there are those that don't need 32/64 GB. There are those that may need an awesome camera and that want a Nokia. Those are the ones that will appreciate the broad portfolio that Nokia has now introduced in its Lumia line.

Again, this was about choices, and Nokia has pumped out many Windows 8 devices this year...and there's more to come. I'm actually excited to see what's beyond the 920 series! :)
    05-16-2013 12:21 PM
    I have to agree...before the 925, the only silver colored wp 8 device was the Ativ S. When the HTC one was leaked, before it was even released, ppl commented, "Why doesn't Nokia make a thinner aluminum device?" Sure its not the HTC one of Windows Phone, but its an answer to a design that was much asked about. The fact that it was implemented as a design concept last year when they started the design process for the 925 says that Nokia was at least slightly ahead of the trend. There are those that don't want colored devices...there are those that don't need 32/64 GB. There are those that may need an awesome camera and that want a Nokia. Those are the ones that will appreciate the broad portfolio that Nokia has now introduced in its Lumia line.

Again, this was about choices, and Nokia has pumped out many Windows 8 devices this year...and there's more to come. I'm actually excited to see what's beyond the 920 series! :)
    I can see some much improved Nokia hardware for this late years shopping season! Stuff for the real WP fans.
    05-16-2013 04:31 PM
    It is a very pretty phone. I bet 16 gig is enough for my applications and such. But I want to put a significant amount of music on the phone and have plenty of space for video. Therefore I am pretty disappointed with the decision to go with just 16 gig.....
    05-18-2013 02:33 AM
    drbank,

""Thinking really seriously about getting a 521 and putting s 64GB SD card in it. Of course then, half my apps probably won't work in only 512MB of RAM.

WP8 new update will probably let you move your apps in to the SD card.
    05-19-2013 01:29 AM
    Its weird, because HTC stated that according to their research, 16 GB suited most ppl. Ppl argued that that notion was insane...nokia decided that some ppl just don't need 32 GB of storage (Though I believe an option for 32gb would have been ideal.) But, if you watched the press event, Ms. Jo stated that Nokia worked with each carrier to develop their own flagship version. The 16 GB variant could have very well been a T-Mobile decision...
    It wouldn't surprise me (the 16gb research).

But perhaps it's more the case that the carriers don't want Windows Phones to tread on spec-led phones...

Yes, I am Conspiracy Brother.
    05-20-2013 01:14 AM
    05-20-2013 10:59 AM
    Personally I think the 16Gb of storage is ok, but the biggest problem is no MicroSD slot.

Its a problem because they are marketing the top end Lumia's for their photographic prowess, which is far better then their competition. But if you take just one big long film then the bulk of that 16Gb of storage is going to be filled up. The Lumia team really do start to need to think about their flagship devices partly as cameras, adding in the MicroSD slot for a small extra cost would instantly remove all the storage problems it will run into as a Camera (and also with the maps storage make it even better as a smartphone/music player).
    EXACTLY! I love taking photos (and increasingly, from my readily-available smartphone, videos). My 810 sucks at photos so I prefer using my dSLR (which can't always be with me, unfortunately). I don't use much of that microSD on my 810 BECAUSE the camera sucks. But now give me the 925 and show me this impressive camera with OIS, far larger range of ISO speeds, etc. etc... plus the new camera app they're pushing... no doubt I'm going to fill this sucker up fast! And if I'm doing this "on the go", as tends to happen with mobile phones, I may not have a way to sync all this stuff back to my computer and have to start deleting photos and/or video. And we all know it's not like we'll have 16GB of space for photos... it'll be much less after the OS, the apps, music, etc. 32 GB needs to be the bare minimum for a phone with a powerhouse camera on it. Or, at the very least, an option to choose between 16 and 32 - I'm willing to throw more money at them if it costs them more. There's no excuse there.
    05-20-2013 02:18 PM
    "The Lumia 925 is Nokia's latest Windows Phone, along with the Lumia 928 but many have been concerned that Vodafone appears to have the 32GB version of the Lumia 925, while everyone else has to deal with 16GB of internal storage. It's now come to light that T-Mobile will also be picking up the model with 32GB of storage, which will surely please many to know that it may not be that much of an exclusivity."

I guess T-Mobile execs read this website!
    I am for sure going to buy it if it in the same ballpark in price as the 928 or 920 series.
    Hooray for the consumer!
    05-20-2013 05:35 PM
    "The Lumia 925 is Nokia's latest Windows Phone, along with the Lumia 928 but many have been concerned that Vodafone appears to have the 32GB version of the Lumia 925, while everyone else has to deal with 16GB of internal storage. It's now come to light that T-Mobile will also be picking up the model with 32GB of storage, which will surely please many to know that it may not be that much of an exclusivity."

I guess T-Mobile execs read this website!
    I am for sure going to buy it if it in the same ballpark in price as the 928 or 920 series.
    Hooray for the consumer!
    Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I have to temper your enthusiasm just a bit. What has been found and is being mentioned currently is via Deutsche Telekom in Germany, from a screenshot of a terminal over there. Yes, they are the parent company of T-Mobile US, but their device portfolio is vastly different than that in the US. They had the iPhone for years before T-Mobile US got it. And they've had plenty of other good devices that we don't have over here. Additionally, the title of the article you are referring to is "32GB Nokia Lumia 925 also heading to Germany's Deutsche Telekom?"

I got excited, too, but only more excited because it looks like Vodafone isn't the only one and there's at least some chance that others can get it. I've seen far too many exciting device announcements from T-Mobile Germany to get excited on this end, because they never seem to come over to this side of the world.

The most solid info to date regarding T-Mobile US is from an email someone sent off to John Legere (CEO of T-Mobile US) asking for them to get the 32 GB version (also, moving the logo off the front) and Legere actually replied with a "I'll consider it" and CC'ed the email to T-Mobile's Chief Marketing Officer. Still, assuming the email is real and not faked, that's about as solid as we've got right now. T-Mobile CEO willing to consider getting the 32 GB Nokia Lumia 925 | WMPoweruser

My apologies if you're not in the US, and are actually referring to T-Mobile in Germany.
    05-20-2013 06:35 PM
    Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I have to temper your enthusiasm just a bit. What has been found and is being mentioned currently is via Deutsche Telekom in Germany, from a screenshot of a terminal over there. Yes, they are the parent company of T-Mobile US, but their device portfolio is vastly different than that in the US. They had the iPhone for years before T-Mobile US got it. And they've had plenty of other good devices that we don't have over here. Additionally, the title of the article you are referring to is "32GB Nokia Lumia 925 also heading to Germany's Deutsche Telekom?"

I got excited, too, but only more excited because it looks like Vodafone isn't the only one and there's at least some chance that others can get it. I've seen far too many exciting device announcements from T-Mobile Germany to get excited on this end, because they never seem to come over to this side of the world.

The most solid info to date regarding T-Mobile US is from an email someone sent off to John Legere (CEO of T-Mobile US) asking for them to get the 32 GB version (also, moving the logo off the front) and Legere actually replied with a "I'll consider it" and CC'ed the email to T-Mobile's Chief Marketing Officer. Still, assuming the email is real and not faked, that's about as solid as we've got right now. T-Mobile CEO willing to consider getting the 32 GB Nokia Lumia 925 | WMPoweruser

My apologies if you're not in the US, and are actually referring to T-Mobile in Germany.
    Well, there is hope I guess. I think it sort of strange that T-Mobile USA would only care the "entry level" of the top of the line Nokia that has only 16GB and their competitors are all 32GB. Not sure how they can compete since the difference in pricing is $100. But most people who buy top of the line flagship phones have the $$$ to pay an additional $100 for a 32GB and if they are on contract then it only $10 dollars more each month too!
    05-21-2013 08:47 PM
    I think the major problem is they are going off their low Windows Phone sales of Lumia 810 and 8X, so are probably preparing for more low sales with the 925. Flagship or not. They have to actually order large quantities of these devices in advance, and if they don't sell then it's lost money. They're instead putting all their muscle behind the iPhone and, to a lesser degree, Samsung devices... maybe a little HTC. But mostly the iPhone. I think every other device they just assume people won't pay much money for. Problem is, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts, because they keep cutting us short with lower end WP devices or those with slashed features, so they don't get the volume of sales they might have gotten if they gave us the best they could....

At least the 925 has that extra lens and aluminum. That's at least something special and differentiating.
    05-21-2013 08:55 PM
    You know what I'd like? Carriers to do a sort of "kickstarter" campaign for their phones. Wait until enough people order a phone for it to be worth the carrier ordering, then place the order. Or even better, have certain prices for number of phones ordered. The more people order the phone you want, the cheaper the phone is. Instead of waiting around with stock on hand for weeks or months, just move to online purchases. Keep a few dumbphones in your stores for when people break theirs, but other than that, just display phones. It would reduce their cost and guarantee that the customer gets the phone they want.
    05-21-2013 10:51 PM
44 12