GSM Arena confirms Pentile AMOLED screen

sciencefair

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 925 preview: First look - GSMArena.com

The display on the Nokia Lumia 925 is a 4.5" AMOLED of WXGA resolution (768 x 1280), which is the maximum supported by the OS at the moment. The display has 332ppi pixel density and its matrix has a PenTile arrangement.
nokia-lumia-925.jpg

I suppose this was to be expected as the 928 also has a pentile screen, but as someone who was planning on upgrading when this arrives in the states, I'm extremely disappointed. It's too bad there isn't a cheap way to get a 920 that supports AWS 3G. Even with it's mediocre blacks and the inability to have the always-on clock, I'd prefer that sharpness and screen quality.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Look, I understand your point as I use a Samsung Ativ S and a HTC OneX+, yes the HTC display is more accurate. But for WP, AMOLED is the better choice because of the power savings that come from the many black elements. Last, you are making an elephant out of a mouse, because most consumers do in fact prefer the vivid colors that come with AMOLED for the interface of their smartphones. For me and many out there... it is a NON issue!

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, having PenTile matrix at that high of pixel density isn't an issue. The GS3 and GS4 have PenTile screens too. From GSMarena's GS3 review : "In case you were worried about the PenTile matrix that the Galaxy S III employs - well, don't be. You'd need to be looking from such close range that your eyes will hurt before you notice any difference."
And the 925 has a higher pixel density than the S3, so I don't think you should worry about that.

sciencefair

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, having PenTile matrix at that high of pixel density isn't an issue. The GS3 and GS4 have PenTile screens too. From GSMarena's GS3 review : "In case you were worried about the PenTile matrix that the Galaxy S III employs - well, don't be. You'd need to be looking from such close range that your eyes will hurt before you notice any difference."
And the 925 has a higher pixel density than the S3, so I don't think you should worry about that.
I'm not a big fan of the GS3's screen, it's true that most fonts in WP8 are big and won't show the pentile matrix as easily but I can't say the same about web browsing, which is 80% of what I do on a smartphone.
Look, I understand your point as I use a Samsung Ativ S and a HTC OneX+, yes the HTC display is more accurate. But for WP, AMOLED is the better choice because of the power savings that come from the many black elements. Last, you are making an elephant out of a mouse, because most consumers do in fact prefer the vivid colors that come with AMOLED for the interface of their smartphones. For me and many out there... it is a NON issue!
It would be nice if the WP8 browser had an option to invert web page colors because a lot of forums I read have white backgrounds, which kind of evens out the power savings as having the majority of your screen be a brighter color can actually push power consumption past what an LCD would use.

My main gripe with pentile are the artifacts which I can unfortunately see when holding the phone at a normal distance. I wish Nokia could have gone the extra mile and acquired screens with the newer subpixel layout Samsung uses on the Note 2 and S4 which look great IMO. Hopefully these newer generation AMOLED screens are less prone to burn in as well.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I suppose this was to be expected as the 928 also has a pentile screen, but as someone who was planning on upgrading when this arrives in the states, I'm extremely disappointed. It's too bad there isn't a cheap way to get a 920 that supports AWS 3G. Even with it's mediocre blacks and the inability to have the always-on clock, I'd prefer that sharpness and screen quality.

"mediocre" blacks? Not sure i'd say that the IPS screen on the Lumia 920 has that... they're not going to be as good as the 925/928 but that screen is really very dark - no worse that iPhone5...

DId you read the GSMArena article?

The brightness is extremely high (white at 522 cd/m2), coupled with being able to change the saturation levels with 11 settings, in my opinion says that this is going to be another very nice looking screen.

The rest of the article says
"
Windows Phone is the platform that suffers the least from low pixel density – most of its interface consists of rectangles and large type. It's tiny fonts and lines at an angle that go fuzzy on PenTiles "

Perhaps its time to actually view this screen and device before judging the screen quality and readability and the overall look?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99