Windows phone have just tweeted that vodafone's pre-order are now available, but after looking, even tho their tarrifs are a little cheaper, 34 gets you unlimited calls and texts, plus 2gb of mobile data, you only have 500mb allowance of Wi-Fi, this to me is a huge deal breaker, I spend 90% of my time in areas with WiFi access (work/home) and my home is in a very poor signal area, struggle with receiving calls, let alone get a 3g signal. So i don't think the pay off for an extra 16gb storage is enough if you can't download or stream via WiFi. O2 will once again be keeping my custom with their exclusive White 925 and unlimited WiFi.
    06-06-2013 12:18 PM
    Windows phone have just tweeted that vodafone's pre-order are now available, but after looking, even tho their tarrifs are a little cheaper, 34 gets you unlimited calls and texts, plus 2gb of mobile data, you only have 500mb allowance of Wi-Fi, this to me is a huge deal breaker, I spend 90% of my time in areas with WiFi access (work/home) and my home is in a very poor signal area, struggle with receiving calls, let alone get a 3g signal. So i don't think the pay off for an extra 16gb storage is enough if you can't download or stream via WiFi. O2 will once again be keeping my custom with their exclusive White 925 and unlimited WiFi.
    I think you misunderstand. This 'allowance' of wifi is just a special offer. It's not an allowance. I don't really know why Vodafone have confused people like this. Your phone network has NOTHING to do with the ability of your handset to use wifi.

This '500mb' is ONLY relevant in relation to certain premium/non-free wifi hotspots that you sometimes encounter in and around cities/towns/airports etc (e.g. 'Bt Openzone'/'Boingo').
    i.e. you can use 500mb for free, and then you have to pay as normal.

It's just a discount offer they've made in conjunction with some public wifi hotspots.
    The only reason why you would ever want to use one of these options would be in situations where you're NOT: at home/at work/at a friend's house...................but STILL need wifi. (e.g. the airport, a hotel).

All this has nothing to do with your NORMAL wifi that you or I use at home/work. You can use it as much as you want. Vodafone can't 'stop you' even if they wanted to. In fact, hell, you don't even need a sim card in the phone to use wifi. No one has the ability to limit how much wifi you use (well, except whoever's paying for it!). These days a lot of pubs and cafes in the UK have completely free wifi via 'The Cloud' too.

Vodafone are just trying to sweeten the pot with an offer for those rare times when you find yourself in an area without free wifi, and only have these premium (and in my experience crappy and slow) options available to you. The only time this 500mb is likely to be useful to you is at the airport, or if you're staying in a hotel that is charging ludicrous amounts for access to their WIFI (most of them sadly).

The cynic in me tells me phone networks deliberately set out to confuse people with some of the language they use. Anyway, hope this helps.
    Last edited by paddylaz; 06-07-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    06-06-2013 11:36 PM
    Thanks, I follow you now, makes Vodafone probably the best deal up to now.
    06-07-2013 01:52 AM