Verge Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
To anyone who is interested,

The Verge (a brilliant, top tech culture website to anyone who doesn't know) have put up their review:

8.1 seems pretty solid - they obviously give the usual windows ui limitation chat etc etc.

One thing that constantly confuses me is why nokia is sending out these grey ones for review. The black (and white) looks SO much slicker. Grey just looks disjointed and weird. But hey.

Last edited by a moderator:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have been wondering the fact that press is getting grey as well. I guess the thinking could be that the aluminium stands out better on grey compared to black, but then there's the white as well (my favorite).

Anyways, great review! By far the most positive Windows Phone review from The Verge so far. There's
definitely slight positive change happening with Windows Phone. Though like Warren said, Microsoft should move faster with WP development and they certainly could move faster.

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Definitely.

Cnet also have a sweet one up here:

I guess they'll all start coming now.
My preorder is saying 26th June for the black one. Patience is being tested here but heart is set on the black.

Last edited by a moderator:

vishhh

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is making some making some good Hardware these days hope Microsoft supports it with faster and improved updates

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't know man, is certainly started out like that, but lately there's been a ton of bias from the site and just pure flame wars in the comments and the forums

That being said it's good that a Lumia got such a high score despite a low ecosystem rating. I really hope MS gets their act together soon on the mobile front, there is so much potential that is just being squandered
The Verge (a brilliant, top tech culture website to anyone who doesn't know) .

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
I don't get the low ecosystem rating. MS is missing, what, a handful of apps? What about integration with Xbox and Windows 8 PC? Xbox Music? Videos? Smart Glass and all that? Does that not count as ecosystem?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The Verge (a brilliant, top tech culture website to anyone who doesn't know) have put up their review:

I like the final score (because I like WP), but I still think the verge's unscientific and subjective reviews aren't worth the electricity used to host them. Zero technical information.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The thing that I really wanted to see: real camera samples and The Verge delivered in that area. The reviewer nonchalantly passed off the image results as "not much different" from the 920 but from what I see from a stock camera experience (imagine what you could do with ProShot!), the results are clearly very sharp and detailed shots. Everything looks crisp and clean and the night shots were amazing. So glad to be getting one when it hits T-Mobile next month!

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You could tell there was some improvements with the L925's camera over the L920. What surprised me is that it got a higher rating from The Verge than the L928 and L920!

I don't get the low ecosystem rating. MS is missing, what, a handful of apps? What about integration with Xbox and Windows 8 PC? Xbox Music? Videos? Smart Glass and all that? Does that not count as ecosystem?

It's almost like they say that just because they can.

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I think their talking about the basic features that still not implemented like simple lock orientation, people already wants this on WP7 and still not getting it done the same case with the file manager.

And yes the lack of apps and games, sometimes when I Visit Apple Store, Samsung Store people will just try to play some angry birds, temple run, subway surfer etc. etc. And when I visit a Nokia Store to try some Lumia devices, what I get is a laggy temple run running on a flag ship device. Dont hate me because I own a 920 and I know its a bad port.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well it's the developers fault for the lack of optimisation and not bothering to bring it to Windows Phone. Not the manufacturer

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Bad Stuff: Lack of Color options.

Really? How many colors does the HTC One come in? Galaxy S4? iPhone? Whatever, man. Whatever.

I think the difference is Nokia is KNOWN for its colours etc - so they are using that as a precedent.

I'm suprised by the Verge-hate...it's defo one of my favourite sites. some of their articles/features on science and general tech culture are fantastic reads. Obviously the comment section can be full of assholes but then, which comment sections aren't.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
A pet peeve of mine. They complain about the bulk of the 920. The 925 fixes this then they complain about no built in wireless charging. Well where do you think the bulk came from. Or it has no color. How about the charging covers , there is your color. Oh but wait now the phone is thick again.

While reading the review you could tell he didn't want to say anything good about the phone but WinP8 has come far enough that he had to or be a complete flamer.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
I'm suprised by the Verge-hate...it's defo one of my favourite sites.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Verge, but their treatment of Windows Phones has always been jaded. They have always been Apple fanboys at heart and it shows sometimes. The Windows Phone "Ecosystem" rating has been at 6 since Windows Phone 7 came out. It's like they don't even check it any more. "Does it have Instagram? No? 6."

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
A pet peeve of mine. They complain about the bulk of the 920. The 925 fixes this then they complain about no built in wireless charging. Well where do you think the bulk came from. Or it has no color. How about the charging covers , there is your color. Oh but wait now the phone is thick again.

While reading the review you could tell he didn't want to say anything good about the phone but WinP8 has come far enough that he had to or be a complete flamer.

He gave the score an 8.1 - which is higher than the galaxy s4 got. Besides as a reviewer he has to cater for people buying the phone for the first time. They're the priority, not those such as you or me who have had a series of lumias and can compare models. The 920 DID have bulk - what the bulk is for is irrelevant. What's relevant is that it has it.

And I don't think they're 'complaining' about anything. They're just saying what the phone has. You need a wireless charging case (which is extra money) to use wireless charging on the 925 so it would be pretty irresponsible if they DIDN'T mention it as a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa