The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-14-2013 10:20 PM
29 12
tools
    To anyone who is interested,

The Verge (a brilliant, top tech culture website to anyone who doesn't know) have put up their review:

8.1 seems pretty solid - they obviously give the usual windows ui limitation chat etc etc.

One thing that constantly confuses me is why nokia is sending out these grey ones for review. The black (and white) looks SO much slicker. Grey just looks disjointed and weird. But hey.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 06-14-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    nokialove and RaRa85 like this.
    06-13-2013 01:36 PM
    Yeah I have been wondering the fact that press is getting grey as well. I guess the thinking could be that the aluminium stands out better on grey compared to black, but then there's the white as well (my favorite).

Anyways, great review! By far the most positive Windows Phone review from The Verge so far. There's
    definitely slight positive change happening with Windows Phone. Though like Warren said, Microsoft should move faster with WP development and they certainly could move faster.
    jaded skies likes this.
    06-13-2013 02:07 PM
    Definitely.

Cnet also have a sweet one up here:

I guess they'll all start coming now.
    My preorder is saying 26th June for the black one. Patience is being tested here but heart is set on the black.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 06-14-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    RaRa85 likes this.
    06-13-2013 02:21 PM
    WoW!

8.1 score which beats Samsung Galaxy S4 at 8.0!
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-13-2013 02:23 PM
    WoW!

8.1 score which beats Samsung Galaxy S4 at 8.0!
    plus the fact that it includes the usual tiresome point subtractions for the fact it's windows phone with its smaller number of apps (yawn).
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-13-2013 02:30 PM
    Nokia is making some making some good Hardware these days hope Microsoft supports it with faster and improved updates
    06-13-2013 02:32 PM
    I don't know man, is certainly started out like that, but lately there's been a ton of bias from the site and just pure flame wars in the comments and the forums

That being said it's good that a Lumia got such a high score despite a low ecosystem rating. I really hope MS gets their act together soon on the mobile front, there is so much potential that is just being squandered

The Verge (a brilliant, top tech culture website to anyone who doesn't know) .
    06-13-2013 02:38 PM
    I don't get the low ecosystem rating. MS is missing, what, a handful of apps? What about integration with Xbox and Windows 8 PC? Xbox Music? Videos? Smart Glass and all that? Does that not count as ecosystem?
    Bartdog likes this.
    06-13-2013 03:32 PM
    The Verge (a brilliant, top tech culture website to anyone who doesn't know) have put up their review:
    I like the final score (because I like WP), but I still think the verge's unscientific and subjective reviews aren't worth the electricity used to host them. Zero technical information.
    06-13-2013 04:01 PM
    Bad Stuff: Lack of Color options.

Really? How many colors does the HTC One come in? Galaxy S4? iPhone? Whatever, man. Whatever.
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-13-2013 04:16 PM
    The thing that I really wanted to see: real camera samples and The Verge delivered in that area. The reviewer nonchalantly passed off the image results as "not much different" from the 920 but from what I see from a stock camera experience (imagine what you could do with ProShot!), the results are clearly very sharp and detailed shots. Everything looks crisp and clean and the night shots were amazing. So glad to be getting one when it hits T-Mobile next month!
    Jazmac and Kevin Rush like this.
    06-13-2013 07:14 PM
    You could tell there was some improvements with the L925's camera over the L920. What surprised me is that it got a higher rating from The Verge than the L928 and L920!

I don't get the low ecosystem rating. MS is missing, what, a handful of apps? What about integration with Xbox and Windows 8 PC? Xbox Music? Videos? Smart Glass and all that? Does that not count as ecosystem?
    It's almost like they say that just because they can.
    06-13-2013 07:35 PM
    I think their talking about the basic features that still not implemented like simple lock orientation, people already wants this on WP7 and still not getting it done the same case with the file manager.

And yes the lack of apps and games, sometimes when I Visit Apple Store, Samsung Store people will just try to play some angry birds, temple run, subway surfer etc. etc. And when I visit a Nokia Store to try some Lumia devices, what I get is a laggy temple run running on a flag ship device. Dont hate me because I own a 920 and I know its a bad port.
    06-14-2013 05:25 AM
    Well it's the developers fault for the lack of optimisation and not bothering to bring it to Windows Phone. Not the manufacturer
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-14-2013 06:39 AM
    Bad Stuff: Lack of Color options.

Really? How many colors does the HTC One come in? Galaxy S4? iPhone? Whatever, man. Whatever.

I think the difference is Nokia is KNOWN for its colours etc - so they are using that as a precedent.

I'm suprised by the Verge-hate...it's defo one of my favourite sites. some of their articles/features on science and general tech culture are fantastic reads. Obviously the comment section can be full of assholes but then, which comment sections aren't.
    06-14-2013 08:17 AM
    A pet peeve of mine. They complain about the bulk of the 920. The 925 fixes this then they complain about no built in wireless charging. Well where do you think the bulk came from. Or it has no color. How about the charging covers , there is your color. Oh but wait now the phone is thick again.

While reading the review you could tell he didn't want to say anything good about the phone but WinP8 has come far enough that he had to or be a complete flamer.
    mister2d likes this.
    06-14-2013 08:43 AM
    I'm suprised by the Verge-hate...it's defo one of my favourite sites.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Verge, but their treatment of Windows Phones has always been jaded. They have always been Apple fanboys at heart and it shows sometimes. The Windows Phone "Ecosystem" rating has been at 6 since Windows Phone 7 came out. It's like they don't even check it any more. "Does it have Instagram? No? 6."
    mister2d likes this.
    06-14-2013 08:50 AM
    A pet peeve of mine. They complain about the bulk of the 920. The 925 fixes this then they complain about no built in wireless charging. Well where do you think the bulk came from. Or it has no color. How about the charging covers , there is your color. Oh but wait now the phone is thick again.

While reading the review you could tell he didn't want to say anything good about the phone but WinP8 has come far enough that he had to or be a complete flamer.
    He gave the score an 8.1 - which is higher than the galaxy s4 got. Besides as a reviewer he has to cater for people buying the phone for the first time. They're the priority, not those such as you or me who have had a series of lumias and can compare models. The 920 DID have bulk - what the bulk is for is irrelevant. What's relevant is that it has it.

And I don't think they're 'complaining' about anything. They're just saying what the phone has. You need a wireless charging case (which is extra money) to use wireless charging on the 925 so it would be pretty irresponsible if they DIDN'T mention it as a negative.
    06-14-2013 08:53 AM
    The verge sucks in general.
    Rick2340 likes this.
    06-14-2013 08:54 AM
    I've stopped paying attention to the Verge. Their fan boy bias, though sometimes subtle, shows through. It grates on me.
    06-14-2013 09:11 AM
    I can't really add anything to what has already been said since the bulk of the comments have been on point. Having said that, we can see a stark and positive difference happening in the way this youngish Windows Phone is being reported today vs the relentless pot shots sites like the Verge and ZDNet have been known to take. Its a slog at times but thanks to Nokia and Microsoft, this ecosystem is turning heads...developers and manufacturers alike. In the mobile game, persistence and time matter.
    mister2d and Kevin Rush like this.
    06-14-2013 09:12 AM
    Sorry the Verge doesn't worship at the feet of Microsoft. Still a great site.

And btw, Tom uses a WP as his daily driver. Quit spouting garbage. He's a Windows guy.
    Last edited by nokialove; 06-14-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    06-14-2013 09:37 AM
    06-14-2013 10:14 AM
    "Who Is It For?
    People who want a smartphone, but are too cool to have anything mainstream."

wtf? seriously, thats how WP users are known as?...
    06-14-2013 10:19 AM
    A pet peeve of mine. They complain about the bulk of the 920. The 925 fixes this then they complain about no built in wireless charging. Well where do you think the bulk came from. Or it has no color. How about the charging covers , there is your color. Oh but wait now the phone is again.
    I don't know why folks keep referring to the wireless charging adding bulk, when the Verizon HTC 8x has wireless charging and isn't any thicker than an 8x without. It can be included in a thinner package if done cleverly.
    06-14-2013 10:21 AM
29 12