T-Mobile 925 Support

spop9

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I realize the answer to this will be entirely speculative, but T-Mobile has a bad track record with supporting devices (810). When they decide to EOL the 925 do you think it will be possible flash international software to it?

I would assume since they aren't getting a strange variant like a 926 or something that it should be possible. Thoughts?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say that they have a bad track record of supporting devices. This thing with 810 is very unusual... it was gone within 5 months, and the 8X disappeared as well. They did a great job supporting their previous Windows Phone devices, and most other devices T-Mobile has had on their shelves have been just fine.

That being said, I do imagine that you will be able to flash the international ROM to it if you wanted to at any time. There's the possibility you could lose the support for the extra bands that make it work on T-Mobile (my thinking is that the new ROM wouldn't recognize the hardware placed in there for the US), as well as AT&T LTE, but I'm not really "up to speed" these days on the state of ROM flashing so I could be wrong. But theoretically you are right, you can flash the international ROM because one actually exists for it - unlike the poor Lumia 810.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Even if a carrier stops selling a device updates should still be available OTA (at least that's how it was supposed to be with WP8).

skinsfan10

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's bad I say it's horrible. The 810 thing, no update for the 710, there customer care and loyalty people have zero clue when you call them with questions and I do mean zero. They are slow to release as the case now and prior again with the 710. T-mo like most carriers aren't taking WP serious enough to care. But ill bet you anything you walk in and they know all about Android. Just like all carriers are.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's bad I say it's horrible. The 810 thing, no update for the 710, there customer care and loyalty people have zero clue when you call them with questions and I do mean zero. They are slow to release as the case now and prior again with the 710. T-mo like most carriers aren't taking WP serious enough to care. But ill bet you anything you walk in and they know all about Android. Just like all carriers are.
They supported the 710 very well AFAIK. They got updates before AT&T ever thought of getting them (not that it's that impressive, because even Verizon and Sprint with their one WP each beat AT&T with updates. AT&T sucked with WP7.)

I could be just thinking of the HD7, but I could swear that I remember the 710 being around when T-Mobile was really good with the WP7 support and updates. I don't even think they skipped any updates, unlike AT&T

nokialove

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
They supported the 710 very well AFAIK. They got updates before AT&T ever thought of getting them (not that it's that impressive, because even Verizon and Sprint with their one WP each beat AT&T with updates. AT&T sucked with WP7.)

I could be just thinking of the HD7, but I could swear that I remember the 710 being around when T-Mobile was really good with the WP7 support and updates. I don't even think they skipped any updates, unlike AT&T

They never pushed out a 7.8 update to the 710 and don't plan to. I wouldn't say that's good support.

skinsfan10

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Ya there are posts all over about the 710 being left without the 7.8 update and it was left to the carriers choice to do them. They chose not to. The 710 was also delayed at launch.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not referring to now. They dropped WP7 like a rock, and I think already had EOLed the device. But it was out much longer than the Lumia 810. I'm just saying that the 810 (and to an extent, the 8X) are anomalies, based on their support history with WP7 before it got replaced with WP8. I don't think them shutting down both 810 and 8X would be indicative of them also shutting down the 925 within 5 months, or doing an early EOL.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Mystic, let's be frank here: the US carriers motto: if it don't sell, just EOL and put out the next device. There was no anomaly with the 8X and the 810: they were both overpriced contract models on T-Mobile that didn't sell. The prices were certainly not the consumer's fault.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I can argue that. Solid points. I guess they'll just have to price the 925 right then, and actually market it.

they need more than marketing...they actually need less problems than people have seen with the 920 on AT&T and the 928 on VZW in terms of exchanges because they got defective hardware. I understand that AT&T has exclusive rights to Nokia's high end models, but T-Mobile is asking alot to sell a ton of 925s in the teeth of One, iPhone 5 and S4 peek sales. Hopefully the 925 is LTE and gets good battery life too.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the 925 is LTE and gets good battery life too.
According to T-Mobile's sign-up landing page for the 925:

"Introducing the Nokia Lumia 925, T-Mobile’s first 4G LTE Windows Phone 8 device. "

I hope the battery life is good as well, but I'm not expecting it. LTE is a battery drain from what I hear. I just hope they give the option to go back to using their 3G ("4G") HSPA+ network within the phone settings, and don't block that option.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
According to T-Mobile's sign-up landing page for the 925:

"Introducing the Nokia Lumia 925, T-Mobile’s first 4G LTE Windows Phone 8 device. "

I hope the battery life is good as well, but I'm not expecting it. LTE is a battery drain from what I hear. I just hope they give the option to go back to using their 3G ("4G") HSPA+ network within the phone settings, and don't block that option.

I think the 925 should have capabilities of using 4G. My Rogers 920 has that, I can either choose 2G, 3G or LTE. Normally, I keep it on 3G when I'm out and get 4G showing up. Once in awhile, I'll switch it to LTE to test whether I see LTE showing up on my phone.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Heck speaking of the T-Mobile 7.8 track record, they never even fixed the internet sharing screws up wifi bug on the HTC Radar let alone getting it up to 7.8

I had to do it myself with the seveneighter utility.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Heck speaking of the T-Mobile 7.8 track record, they never even fixed the internet sharing screws up wifi bug on the HTC Radar let alone getting it up to 7.8

I had to do it myself with the seveneighter utility.

that's why t-mobile better hope people buy this, especially with rumors for the EOS pumping out this hard.

"if it don't sell, they will EOL."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss