Lumia 925 De-branding

ngilbert89

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Want to buy a lumia 925 32GB vodafone Just wondering if I can debrand the phone using the nokia care suite ? also for example If I was to flash the firmware of the vodafone to a sim free fw would the storage be then seen as 16GB and not 32GB ?

Last edited:

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to find any information on debranding a WP8. Has it been done successfully yet? Or am I just looking in the wrong places.

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Debranding is easy to do you just flash an appropriate unbranded ROM, the question ngilbert89 and I would like to know the answer to is if we flash an unbranded UK 925 16GB ROM is will it still have the 32GB available? I would guess that it would still show as 32 but we need to know the product code for unbranded UK 925, does anyone know?

ngilbert89

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Debranding is easy to do you just flash an appropriate unbranded ROM, the question ngilbert89 and I would like to know the answer to is if we flash an unbranded UK 925 16GB ROM is will it still have the 32GB available? I would guess that it would still show as 32 but we need to know the product code for unbranded UK 925, does anyone know?

yes thats what I was wondering and yes I have the product code.

ngilbert89

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

ngilbert89

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I am interested in buying an unlocked lumia 925 vodafone 32GB but worried that flashing would lock the phone back to Vodafone again ? do you no if it locks the phone again .

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I am interested in buying an unlocked lumia 925 vodafone 32GB but worried that flashing would lock the phone back to Vodafone again ? do you no if it locks the phone again .

A brave member on this forum has already done it? http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/231135-product-codes-lumia-925-a.html#post2017289 I'm very tempted!
From past experience flashing a different rom does not lock the phone because the phones imei is unlocked on the network database but please don't just take my word for it.

ngilbert89

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
A brave member on this forum has already done it? http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/231135-product-codes-lumia-925-a.html#post2017289 I'm very tempted!
From past experience flashing a different rom does not lock the phone because the phones imei is unlocked on the network database but please don't just take my word for it.

I tried to debrand my lumia 920 using nokia care suite but for some reason when I connected my phone it said that phone is not supported but in the readme it says it is? any ideas

Attachments

• ncs 920.jpg
    ncs 920.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried to debrand my lumia 920 using nokia care suite but for some reason when I connected my phone it said that phone is not supported but in the readme it says it is? any ideas

Sorry I'm not sure why that is, I've flashed my 920 several times with different roms. Is yours a US handset?

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have found my own answers jumped in feet first. I have just flashed my Vodafone 32GB 925 as above and have an unbranded 925 and yes the storage shows as 32GB with 29GB free and as with the UK CV lumia 920 unbranded software there is no 4G in the "highest connection speed" setting. So I assume that 4G function on unbranded 925's will be the same as the unbranded 920's which is supposedly an update as other carriers roll out their 4G service. I have downloaded the original Vodafone UK 32GB rom just in case!

ngilbert89

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have found my own answers jumped in feet first. I have just flashed my Vodafone 32GB 925 as above and have an unbranded 925 and yes the storage shows as 32GB with 29GB free and as with the UK CV lumia 920 unbranded software there is no 4G in the "highest connection speed" setting. So I assume that 4G function on unbranded 925's will be the same as the unbranded 920's which is supposedly an update as other carriers roll out their 4G service. I have downloaded the original Vodafone UK 32GB rom just in case!

do you have an unlocked lumia 925 32GB?

ngilbert89

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
No my Contract Vodafone 32GB UK (RM-892 VAR GB VOD CONTRACT 32GB SL BLACK 059S700) arrived today and I've just flashed RM-892 VAR GB CV BLACK 059S916 Rom! It was locked to Vodafone and it is still locked to Vodafone!

Okay why did you flash 920 rom when there is a sim free rom of the 925 no branding?

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay why did you flash 920 rom when there is a sim free rom of the 925 no branding?

Sorry there has been a misunderstanding, Your first post "I tried to debrand my lumia 920 using nokia care suite but for some reason when I connected my phone it said that phone is not supported but in the readme it says it is? any ideas" said 920 so I assumed you were trying to debrand your 920 not 925!
I have flashed my new 925 Vodafone UK with unbranded UK 925 ROM. I only mentioned the 920 because I still have one and have flashed it with several different Roms in the past and here in the UK the unbranded roms for both the 920 and 925 do not support 4G (yet).

As for the question "I am interested in buying an unlocked lumia 925 vodafone 32GB but worried that flashing would lock the phone back to Vodafone again ? do you no if it locks the phone again "
With my 920 which came unlocked, I have flashed the EE rom and it did not lock the phone to EE and I have flashed it back and forth several times and the phone has never become sim locked!

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay guys. Just curious. What is the purpose of de-branding a Lumia device?

Branded phones only come with settings for the carrier that supplied it so if I get it unlocked and put an O2 sim in it I have to set up access points etc manually! More importantly Vodafone etc did not make the phone they just add junk I personally do not want, and sometimes operators remove functions that they don't have or think you want. Apple don't let operators brand their handsets and as a result Apple software updates hit every device at the same time. If Nokia/ Microsoft roll out an update each carrier has to test it and some carriers never deliver some updates!

ngilbert89

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry there has been a misunderstanding, Your first post "I tried to debrand my lumia 920 using nokia care suite but for some reason when I connected my phone it said that phone is not supported but in the readme it says it is? any ideas" said 920 so I assumed you were trying to debrand your 920 not 925!
I have flashed my new 925 Vodafone UK with unbranded UK 925 ROM. I only mentioned the 920 because I still have one and have flashed it with several different Roms in the past and here in the UK the unbranded roms for both the 920 and 925 do not support 4G (yet).

As for the question "I am interested in buying an unlocked lumia 925 vodafone 32GB but worried that flashing would lock the phone back to Vodafone again ? do you no if it locks the phone again "
With my 920 which came unlocked, I have flashed the EE rom and it did not lock the phone to EE and I have flashed it back and forth several times and the phone has never become sim locked!
get you now so you managed to flash your 925 with an unbranded rom successfully, and flashing does not effect sim locking, the only reason I mentioned 920 , is because I already own 1 of them and I tried to flash a rom to it but in nokia care suite it said the phone was not supported as shown in the screen shot I attached to a previous message, ?

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
get you now so you managed to flash your 925 with an unbranded rom successfully, and flashing does not effect sim locking, the only reason I mentioned 920 , is because I already own 1 of them and I tried to flash a rom to it but in nokia care suite it said the phone was not supported as shown in the screen shot I attached to a previous message, ?

That's correct. As far as I know flashing a different rom should not affect sim lock (it hasn't for me and others).

As for your 920 is looks like the version of NCS you are using might be too old? Look at the last post here http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/214115-not-supported-product-identified-rm-821-a.html don't install the latest version because you won't be able to sign in. I'm using version Nokia_Care_Suite_PST_5.0_2013.10.1.3.

ngilbert89

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
That's correct. As far as I know flashing a different rom should not affect sim lock (it hasn't for me and others).

As for your 920 is looks like the version of NCS you are using might be too old? Look at the last post here http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/214115-not-supported-product-identified-rm-821-a.html don't install the latest version because you won't be able to sign in. I'm using version Nokia_Care_Suite_PST_5.0_2013.10.1.3.

Hi I have the latest version the funny thing is that it says its supported in the readme,could it be something todo with Windows 8 what operation system you using?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077