Hi everyone

I'm new here and new to Windows Phone 8 as well. I pre-ordered a Lumia 925 from Three UK and eagerly awaited delivery today. I can't fault the service from Three, I've been with them for about 7 years now. It's been years since I've owned a Nokia though, but after being very disappointed by Android and not wanting to go back to the same old iOS from Apple, I decided to give WP8 a try.

The phone itself is stunning and I'm really impressed with WP8, it's very slick and looks extremely modern. The only problem I have is the phone seems unable to read any SIM cards. I've removed/replaced the SIM several times, tried a different Three SIM card and even done a factory reset, but I keep getting the same error message;

"The SIM card is missing or invalid. You can still make emergency calls if your operator supports this"

I've tried the SIM that came with the phone in my old Android device and it works fine, so I guess I've got a faulty handset(?) I'm going to my local Three store tomorrow to see if I can exchange it for another handset. The phone is absolutely stunning and I love WP8 so to say that I'm gutted that I can't actually use my new phone as a phone is a massive understatement! Has anyone else had any SIM error issues with their 925 or other Lumia devices?

I'll report back tomorrow evening on how I get on at the Three store.
    06-21-2013 03:05 PM
    if you didn't buy from the store, then you'll have to give them a call on 333 from another 3 handset because usually the store will not replace it for you
    06-21-2013 07:10 PM
    Is it possible you placed it incorrectly into the SIM tray? That happened to me when I first got my 920. I found a video on YouTube on how to insert it properly and saw that I'd done it wrong.
    06-21-2013 07:29 PM
    if you didn't buy from the store, then you'll have to give them a call on 333 from another 3 handset because usually the store will not replace it for you
    Yeah I had a feeling that would be the case, but I'm gonna go into town now and speak to them, you never know they might be helpful (wishful thinking!)

Is it possible you placed it incorrectly into the SIM tray? That happened to me when I first got my 920. I found a video on YouTube on how to insert it properly and saw that I'd done it wrong.
    What do you mean by 'placed it incorrectly'? I did remove/replace the SIM several times and also tried another SIM card but neither of them work. It just comes up with the same 'SIM missing or invalid' error. Have you got a link to the YouTube video? I don't know if the 920 is different, but the SIM can only be inserted one way in the 925.

Thanks for the replies folks.
    06-22-2013 06:41 AM
    What do you mean by 'placed it incorrectly'? I did remove/replace the SIM several times and also tried another SIM card but neither of them work. It just comes up with the same 'SIM missing or invalid' error. Have you got a link to the YouTube video? I don't know if the 920 is different, but the SIM can only be inserted one way in the 925.

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Exactly as I said, it might be placed in the SIM tray wrong. As in backward or upside down. I had mine turned the wrong way, with the slanted part at the top instead of facing down. I doubt there's any difference between the 920 and 925 with inserting the SIM. Here's a video example for you:
    06-22-2013 10:24 AM
    Exactly as I said, it might be placed in the SIM tray wrong. As in backward or upside down. I had mine turned the wrong way, with the slanted part at the top instead of facing down. I doubt there's any difference between the 920 and 925 with inserting the SIM.
    Thanks mate. I didn't realise the 920 used a different SIM tray, that's why I questioned what you meant by 'placed it incorrectly'. The 925 SIM tray doesn't fully detach from the phone, it just slides out enough for the SIM to be placed inside. The SIM can only be placed inside the tray one way, there is a SIM shaped recess for it to sit in, so it's impossible to get it wrong. If I were to get it wrong, then the SIM tray would be difficult to close as the SIM card wouldn't be seated properly in the tray.

Three are replacing the phone, but I've gotta send this one back via post because it was ordered online (as afgzee suggested). Hopefully the next one will work properly. This is not the best start of my return to Nokia. I'll post an update once I receive the replacement handset.

Thanks again guys.
    06-22-2013 10:53 AM
    Thanks mate. I didn't realise the 920 used a different SIM tray, that's why I questioned what you meant by 'placed it incorrectly'. The 925 SIM tray doesn't fully detach from the phone, it just slides out enough for the SIM to be placed inside. The SIM can only be placed inside the tray one way, there is a SIM shaped recess for it to sit in, so it's impossible to get it wrong. If I were to get it wrong, then the SIM tray would be difficult to close as the SIM card wouldn't be seated properly in the tray.

Three are replacing the phone, but I've gotta send this one back via post because it was ordered online (as afgzee suggested). Hopefully the next one will work properly. This is not the best start of my return to Nokia. I'll post an update once I receive the replacement handset.

Thanks again guys.
    Ahh, I didn't realize that about the 925's SIM tray since I have yet to see one in person. It's good that they improved on that from the 920, though, because I had a problem with that and almost was unable to open the tray after placing my SIM inside! Good to know that you're getting a replacement phone. Good luck with that one, hope it works perfectly!
    06-22-2013 11:25 AM
    Hi there,
    I have exactly the same problem. I will call 3 tomorrow, but probably I will have to send my phone back to them. It seems to be a problem with some of the Lumia 925. I have found this:
    "When it comes to calling, the quality is good, with plenty of volume and no reported problems from callers. We did encounter a SIM problem, however. At first we put this down to a faulty device and called in a second device as it wasn't recognising any SIM card. The second device accepted one SIM card, but complained about others - all of which work across other devices. It may be nothing, but it's worth keeping an eye on other reviews to see whether this is an isolated case or not." a review from this website Nokia Lumia 925 review - Pocket-lint
    Regards
    06-22-2013 03:32 PM
    my phone from Three UK hasn't had this problem, looks like just a couple of unfortunate people :(
    06-23-2013 11:00 AM
    Haha guess what happened today! Playing around with my new shiny phone, i installed Audiocloud and crap, my phone screen just goes weired, now i have loads of pixelated dots in red,blue,green all over the place. So i get a nice replacement.

Other bug i have is that sometimes my phone locks itself :/ annoying.
    06-24-2013 02:15 PM
    Oh dear not good, I never had a problem, just went online and activated it and the next day my iPhone stopped working and my Nokia needed a restart.. Never look back! windows phone is gorgeous looking
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_253 using Board Express
    06-25-2013 11:45 AM
    Oh dear not good, I never had a problem, just went online and activated it and the next day my iPhone stopped working and my Nokia needed a restart.. Never look back! windows phone is gorgeous looking
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_253 using Board Express
    There are few annoyances with WP8 but if you can live with those, then WP is for you. I just can't wait to see what GDR2, GDR3 and WP Blue can bring to the table.
    06-25-2013 11:55 AM
    There are few annoyances with WP8 but if you can live with those, then WP is for you. I just can't wait to see what GDR2, GDR3 and WP Blue can bring to the table.
    This is true however, Microsoft are a little better at listening compared to like Apple for example so hopefully the next build removes those annoyances !
    06-26-2013 06:18 AM
    Hi everyone

Just thought I'd post a quick update. Received my replacement handset and guess what...exactly the same problem again. I was not happy!

I phoned Three (again) and when I spoke to the technical department this time the guy said that they've had quite a lot of Lumia 925s returned because of various faults. So I've cancelled my upgrade for the time being and I've bought a used iPhone 4S from my mate.

As much as I like the WP8 OS, I'm just not happy with Nokia's quality. Shame because I think the 925 looks stunning. Unfortunately there aren't any other handsets running WP8 that I like. So I'm gonna use my second hand iPhone 4S until the 5S comes out in a few months and then upgrade to that.

I know there's a lot of hate towards rival manufacturers from some people (never understood why? Can't everyone just get along?), but I had a very good experience with Apple when I had my old iPhone 4. It was supremely reliable for the 2 years that I used it and suited my lifestyle very well. So I'm going back to what I know works for me.

Thanks for all the responses to my post and I hope anyone that has a 925 has better luck than I did.

Thanks again,

Simon
    07-02-2013 08:54 AM
    Sorry you had a bad experience. That happens every once in a while, but not too often based on the posts in this sub-forum.

I would never be able to go to an iPhone just because of the attitude a lot of Apple users have. I don't want to be associated with that. Plus, stick it to the man and all that.
    07-02-2013 08:59 AM
    Sorry you had a bad experience. That happens every once in a while, but not too often based on the posts in this sub-forum.

I would never be able to go to an iPhone just because of the attitude a lot of Apple users have. I don't want to be associated with that. Plus, stick it to the man and all that.
    Cheers mate. It's such as shame that both handsets were faulty, but the experience has put me off Nokia.

Sadly those attitudes you speak of are common across all platforms, Android and WP8 users can be just as bad (if not worse in some cases) as iPhone users. At the end of the day they are only companies making products. So just pick the one that suits you best. I try to ignore all the politics and just buy the products that work for me, regardless of which brand it is. I really like WP8, but I really like iOS too. The only one that I don't like is Android, but if someone else likes Android I've got no problem with that. Each to their own.
    07-02-2013 09:08 AM
    Completely agree. My entire family up north has iPhones, and that's fine with me. Different strokes for different folks. Thanks for sharing your experience here!
    07-02-2013 09:12 AM

Haha... As a former iPhone user who is still a fan of Apple (and who has her iPhone 4 as a *backup* backup phone), I've gotta say I can't stand the attitude of many Android users. Ever been on BGR.com? A majority of them are trolls who bash you personally, not just for your OS preference, ugh. I would go right back to iPhone if WP were to somehow vanish. I told a friend a couple of years back that if I ever went to a carrier such as Boost or MetroPCS (well, not them anymore since they're merging with T-Mobile), I'd pick BlackBerry before I went Android.
    07-02-2013 09:12 AM