Just Received Unlocked 925 From Clove - OLED Complaint

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
The screen gets a serious green tint whenever the phone is held even slightly off center. Viewing angle is about 5 degrees on this screen. No noticeable difference improvement with the OLED over IPS. I'd go for IPS if I had a choice again. Other than that, seems like a great phone, except, as usual, for being seriously slippery without a case.

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The screen gets a serious green tint whenever the phone is held even slightly off center. Viewing angle is about 5 degrees on this screen. No noticeable difference improvement with the OLED over IPS. I'd go for IPS if I had a choice again. Other than that, seems like a great phone, except, as usual, for being seriously slippery without a case.

Yeah I think you might have a problem there mine looks the same however I look at it, I think it looks better than my iPhone 5 which washes out colours like Fairy Liquid

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
From what I have been reading, this is just a side effect of AMOLED. I don't remember my last Samsung having that problem though. I don't doubt that Nokia used the cheapest AMOLED components available, so I'd say it is a sub-par AMOLED compared to other AMOLEDs. Again, great phone otherwise.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Yeah, when two other people tell you it's defective, one of them who owns the same phone, you should ignore them. It's definitely because Nokia uses cheap components. :winktongue:

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
The blue is specific to the inferior pentile AMOLED display, which it seems the Lumia 925 has.

I'm reading online that the blue/green tint may be temporary. Because, I guess the BLUE leds die out really fast compared to the rest, so maybe they made the screen to over display blue, and as time goes on, the blue will die to a yellow. Who knows.

I am sure my eyes will adjust.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Check your settings. The 925 comes with the ability to adjust the color tone of the screen if you think it's too cool or hot. :wink:

Nokia talks Lumia 925 display, gives you an app to adjust color saturation and temperature of the screen - GSMArena Blog

Also, you seem like you're trolling since you're not listening to someone who has the exact same device and tells you it doesn't look like that.

Let me be clear. It only looks that way when viewed from an angle. It is not overwhelmingly off-color, just a slight tint.
My guess is Nokia offered the color temperature settings app as a way to compensate for this issue.
Different people are sensitive about different things. What bothers someone may go unnoticed by someone else.
Time will tell if this turns out to be a big issue with the 925's display.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
I agree that different people have different sensitivities, and that's why the app was included, but you have yet to say anything positive about the device, and -
Yeah I think you might have a problem there mine looks the same however I look at it, I think it looks better than my iPhone 5 which washes out colours like Fairy Liquid
Try the app and see if it fixes it for you. If not, see if you can get ahold of another device to compare and see if yours might be defective as Ice123 said it might be.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I adjusted the slider all the way to COOL in the view settings. That way it is less noticeable because it has more of a bluish tint all the time. I don't think it is worth returning. I'll check out the floor models at the TMobile store first, just so I can bee 100% sure and see it with my own eyes. I just don't know when that will be (Mid-July, I hope).

Since you asked, here are my positive impressions.
- Solid as a rock build quality. No creaking, or soft spots on the back, like the 920.
- Seriously thin and light compared to the 920! Feels like a modern smartphone.
- I like the USB port on top, but that's just personal preference. Males it easier to see on my desk when connected to PC.
- Smart Cam app is awesome...
- The camera is very noticeably sharper than 920, and OIS is great. I took a photo while shaking my hand wildly, and the same one holding the camera as still as possible. I cannot tell the two apart!!!
- Camera bump on the back is not as obtrusive as I thought it would be. I like the larger lens cover window. It makes it easier to wipe off on my shirt before a critical photo.
- There is a new default reminder/alert sound (you know, the one you can't change). It sounds really cool.
- Reception is very slightly better. Only slightly.

Things I don't like:
- "Glance" feature. I can turn on the screen myself to see what time it is, rather than waste battery displaying it constantly (or for 15 minutes).
- Double tap to wake. How bout single tap the power button instead? One less tap.
- Camera lens is right where my right index finger tip rests. I'll have to learn to hold the phone a little different if I don't want smudges.
- Different, less natural, appearance of OLED scree will take some getting used to. Colors don't get washed out at all... they just shift. Viewed straight on, it is beautiful though.

heelo

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Dude perceives a color issue in a panel technology for which color accuracy is a know issue.

I don't see why there is the need to second guess him or accuse bin of trolling.

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Right I kind of get what you mean now I just opened up a black screen so see if I could replicate what u meant and there is a tiny bit of blueish green tint, but i had to have it pretty much facing the left of me, and i don't think I'll ever do that again because I'm not crippled..
Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_253 using Board Express

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, when two other people tell you it's defective, one of them who owns the same phone, you should ignore them. It's definitely because Nokia uses cheap components. :winktongue:

I've got two other phones with AMOLED screens and neither of them display any sort of tint and have fantastic viewing angles. So, to tell the OP to ignore me and ice123 is just plain wrong. Are you suggesting that the OP's screen isn't defective and it is actually normal to have a lot of green tint when tilting his phone slightly off centre?

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
I've got two other phones with AMOLED screens and neither of them display any sort of tint and have fantastic viewing angles. So, to tell the OP to ignore me and ice123 is just plain wrong. Are you suggesting that the OP's screen isn't defective and it is actually normal to have a lot of green tint when tilting his phone slightly off centre?
No, I was using sarcasm, which I tried to express with the winking, tongue-out smiley.

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I am sending mine back to Vodafone due to the screen tint. & to be honest adjusting the colour tone of the screen doesn't make much of a difference. I have had other AMOLED display phones in the past and the wife has a Samsung S4, nothing compares to the tint on the 925

I spoke to Vodafone returns this morning and when I explained the reason for returning the handset they told me that they have had a few returns due to the tint & screen quality. So I suppose at the end of the day it's down to personal preference and how much the screen tint bothers you.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I am sending mine back to Vodafone due to the screen tint. & to be honest adjusting the colour tone of the screen doesn't make much of a difference. I have had other AMOLED display phones in the past and the wife has a Samsung S4, nothing compares to the tint on the 925

I spoke to Vodafone returns this morning and when I explained the reason for returning the handset they told me that they have had a few returns due to the tint & screen quality. So I suppose at the end of the day it's down to personal preference and how much the screen tint bothers you.

Thanks for that feedback. It certainly seems the tint on this AMOLED is not one of the better ones out there. I never had a problem with the blacks on the IPS display on the 920. But if the AMOLED saves me some battery life, I can live with it. Too early to tell about that. All I am certain of so far is the 925 is way more comfortable in my front jeans pocket than the thick body and hard corners of the 920.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
So the tint is in the black as well? That's interesting since OLED pixels turn completely off when they are supposed to show black.

Also, is this AMOLED or just OLED?

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe it is AMOLED. No, the blacks are fine. I was just saying that the blacks on the 920 were never a problem. I actually thought the 920 had an AMOLED screen for the longest time. Now I am glad it didn't

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro