Awful camera results on auto.......stunning camera results once you've mastered ISO

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
So don't want to get arrested by the stating-the-obvious police,

but when I first took shots with my 925 in just AUTO mode, the results were fairly awful (especially low light). I find that in low light specifically, the camera massively over-compensates' in that it results in shots that are incredibly bright & I can see everything in the room - but these shots don't look anything like how the scene looks in real life. And I'm talking about WITHOUT flash. (I never use flash on mobile cams as it washes everything out.)

I've come to the conclusion that when in auto mode, the phone massively over-compensates ISO wise. If you manually select an ISO for indoor night time shots (I use 200 or 400) - , I find I can get spectacular results, especially once you train your eye to tell what sort of ISO is needed (obviously pro photographers know all this).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this or whether it's a quirk on my handset? I'm obviously not complaining - just interested by the over-compensating and how for incredible results it's better to 'reign in' the camera from what it automatically goes with when on auto. Of course I know there are some pro photographers here who probably already view 'auto' as something of a dirty word. But since this is more phone than camera I thought you'd let me off :)

Last edited:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Your under arrest.

Regards
Obvious Police :wink:

But I do agree it a lot better when you set the camera options yourself.

Last edited:

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
What about her under arrest?

One of the things being marketed about this phone is how it captures more light in low-light situations and makes the scene look brighter. I'm not sure what you were expecting?

It's a he.

Also, if you read my message, my specific question/comment was related to how it over-compensates with the brightness, and how to reign it in for the best, most accurate to-the-scene results possible. I'm fully aware the camera's potential capabilities, that's why I bought it. I think it's fair to say though there are plenty out here (even those who are very computer/tech literate) who may well NOT be experienced in photography and might (wrongly) assume the camera can be 'trusted' if left in auto mode.....- after all some phone cameras like the iphone 5 CAN be trusted in auto mode despite the results not being anywhere near as good as a calibrated 925 snap.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I think with generic auto settings ur never going to get a pic that's true to life! And maybe with the new Pro Camera app peepz will learn about exposure, ISO settings etc, etc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett