TMo promotion aside, how could the US launch have been better?

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
We all know promotion of the Lumia 925 has been shamefully lacking (and even that is far too kind). Any ideas on how things could have been done better?

For starters, the next-day announcement of the 1020 really took the wind out of the 925's sails (and sales). Nokia should never have allowed AT&T to do that as part of the deal. T-Mobile could have announced a week earlier, although with their apparent zero-promotion policy for Windows Phone, maybe that would have resulted in even more customer resentment.

Going by what people were hearing from staff at Microsoft Stores around the country, Microsoft has some explaining to do as well. Of all stores, their staff should know the products coming and be ready to answer questions about availability, promotions, etc.

(And I hope I don't get dinged for this, but...) To some small degree I am disappointed with WPCentral for not doing a more to investigate the issue. I know T-Mobile is #4, and I know most US readers are not on T-Mobile. But no apparent reaching out to T-Mobile, Microsoft, and Nokia for comment?

Now most will probably shrug their shoulders and say "big deal." The problem with that response is that the treatment the Lumia 925 has gotten in the States hurts, not just the phone and the carrier, but the entire ecosystem more than if the phone would not have made it to the States at all.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'll turn it around: how could it have been any WORSE? Short of simply not selling the phone, I think it would be impossible to "launch" a phone in a more lackluster manner.

I could give 100 ways it would have been better. I don't understand the thread.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Should have been launched 2 months ago when it was announced at no more than $450 like the att and Verizon siblings. The 1020 is the new top of the line and $530 is too much for an update to last years model (with some improvements but also some features being flat out removed) I think they know this and that is why they are not promoting it. We are no more than 4 months away from the Nokia 94x series and 104x series both with gdr3 and lots of new features so why buy a 925?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
...and I'm sure T-Mobile will say "Look, WP just doesn't sell!" after they manage to completely screw up this "launch", and use that as justification not to carry any other models.

blzr409

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Ignoring the promotion side of things, I think they should have also gone with more options than just the white 16 GB version. We know that overseas you can also get it in gray or black, and they also have a 32 GB model on certain carriers. I would have loved to get the 32 GB in gray, but neither option is available.

They also should be stocking the wireless charging shells at their stores. Not sure why they aren't. They're actually selling a wireless charger on their website that it specifically says is for the 925, but not selling the required shell.

DeweyTime

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The 925 is available now? Going to T-Mobile.com you would have absolutely no idea you could buy one. The Experia is shown twice. You have to go to page 2 of smartphones to find it.

The push is abysmal, it's like T-Mobile has a vendetta against Nokia or Microsoft and they are actively trying to not sell it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb