Android user tempted to switch

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I am a longtime Android user who has been debating trying out a Windows phone. With the introduction of Jump program I dont have to worry about having a phone that gets EOLed 6 months after I get it or being unhappy with my purchase for 2 years, so I figure now is the time to expand my horizons.

Currently I have a core set of apps and features that I use almost daily, how many of these can I get in the 925?

They are
Swype
Emoji
Instagram
Snapseed
Reddit
Google Music All Access
Bluetooth transfers
And NFC

I would love it if all of these features and apps exist but I am sure that is a bit of a stretch.

Any help is appreciated

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Emoji is integrated
Instagram with 3rd party app: instance
Reddit: baconit
Bluetooth and NFC ✔

Dont expect anything from Google for Windows Phone. I used to rrly on Google Service too, but then i switch to MS services and theyre actually better than google services

lwhitmarsh

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Well Emoji is built into the stock WP keyboard, but there's no way you're gonna get swype or anything like it. Instance is a very good, full featured app for instagram. You won't find snapseed but there are other powerful photo editors you can get. Baconit is the best reddit browser there is. The only real trouble you'll have is getting your Google Music all access to work on your phone; it might be possible to play it from the web browser but i'm not sure if even that would work.

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I found Cloud Muzik for Google Music All Access but the reviews are mixed. Im currently testing out Spotify to see how well I like it but so far I like All Access a lot more. Ive been using Swype now for years hopefully the transition to Windows keyboard wont be too bad. The 2 things that are exciting me the most is the camera and the GPS , I have heard it works without a data connection and having needed a GPS in South Ga on 2 different occasions where T-Mos service was non-existent this is a huge plus.

Yeahha

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I recently switched from Android to WP8. I still use my Android device but actually like the WP8 device better...

Swype...nothing like it on WP8 but the stock keyboard is on par or better than anything I used with my 3.5 years with android
Emoji...stock in most apps
Instagram...no official app but 3rd party solutions are out there
Snapseed...I've seen rumors but IIRC they were bought out by Google...and Google doesn't support WP8...there are alternative photo editing apps however
Reddit...no official app but 3rd party solutions are out there
Google Music All Access...not yet, CloudMuzik does work for streaming song's in your cloud but not from All Access...last I heard it was still being worked on
Bluetooth transfers...stock...Share files over Bluetooth | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Hope this helps

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
My wife refuses to use WP8 because there is no swype, on WP8 the keyboard works more like Swiftkey. If you need swype your stuck with android like my wife as it isn't available on any other OS, at least not yet.

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Any windows 8 smartphones I think have a suggestion box made of words that you always use so it's. So easy to text a message to your friends. Just try to make your wife feel the windows smartphone..i was once an andriod user and a 3gs iPhone user...damn i switch when to Nokia Lumia 920 , I discovered they have multitasking so easy to operate and easy to understand..just learn their tutorials. And also install this: Apps search, app detective, wp7 apps, best wp7 apps lite, explore apps, apps highlights, apps deal, Nokia collection , web apps, app flow apps discovery, windows store, apps world marketplace...apps deal...games gone free, xbox store and dont forget to install this nokia revolution ,windows phone insider, windows central tile since new apps are posted in there news feeds....good luck exploring and searching for new apps totaling 145,000.....for a 32 GB cp storage , you can install up to max. Of 425 apps = apps and games combined + music+ picture+ videos.. First is tap any store..go to any categories you like, tap the app icon you want to install, view details , scroll down to tap the underlined MORE FROM THE Developer...then you will see several apps created and developed by the developer...tap install if you want it....goodluck exploring and searching for your apps

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I recently switched from Android to WP8. I still use my Android device but actually like the WP8 device better...

Swype...nothing like it on WP8 but the stock keyboard is on par or better than anything I used with my 3.5 years with android
Emoji...stock in most apps
Instagram...no official app but 3rd party solutions are out there
Snapseed...I've seen rumors but IIRC they were bought out by Google...and Google doesn't support WP8...there are alternative photo editing apps however
Reddit...no official app but 3rd party solutions are out there
Google Music All Access...not yet, CloudMuzik does work for streaming song's in your cloud but not from All Access...last I heard it was still being worked on
Bluetooth transfers...stock...Share files over Bluetooth | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Hope this helps

If I can get my Google Music subscription to work I can make the switch with no problem, it seems to be my only hurdle.

My wife refuses to use WP8 because there is no swype, on WP8 the keyboard works more like Swiftkey. If you need swype your stuck with android like my wife as it isn't available on any other OS, at least not yet.
Swype is a fantastic keyboard, I myself am hesitant about moving away from it.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
One thing to note... While you can use NFC to "tap to send" pics, it only works from WP to WP (NOT android to WP or vise versa)

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
One thing to note... While you can use NFC to "tap to send" pics, it only works from WP to WP (NOT android to WP or vise versa)

Bummer that's one of the things I use NFC for. The other is Google Wallet but Im sure that isn't offered on the 925. I'm hopping I can get Isis for it though

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Try Gooroovster for All access.

I'm seeing mixed reviews on that as well do you have experience with it? I have also found an app called GooMu but I haven't looked up reviews yet

Edit: after looking on goorovsters Facebook page it appears All Access does not work due to the way All Access works and Windows audio agent.

Last edited:

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I have an 8x and my wife has a gs3 and we have used NFC before to share pictures, so I am positive that it does work.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing mixed reviews on that as well do you have experience with it? I have also found an app called GooMu but I haven't looked up reviews yet

Edit: after looking on goorovsters Facebook page it appears All Access does not work due to the way All Access works and Windows audio agent.

Just curious, have you thought about trying XBox Music service instead of All Access? I'm guessing you probably got in on it when it was $7 though and XBM will cost you $10/month. I'm an Android user looking at switching too, but the only thing I've done with Play Music is load my own songs up to it. I've been a Zunepass (which is now XBox Music) subscriber for like 7 or 8 years now and WP8 is one of the reasons I'm looking to switch so I can consolidate devices (also use a Zune device). I've heard that the current state of the relatively new XBM app is not that great but that upcoming updates are supposed to really revamp it. Also it inherited the Zune music catalog which is supposed to be much larger than Google's current one for All Access.

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, have you thought about trying XBox Music service instead of All Access? I'm guessing you probably got in on it when it was $7 though and XBM will cost you $10/month. I'm an Android user looking at switching too, but the only thing I've done with Play Music is load my own songs up to it. I've been a Zunepass (which is now XBox Music) subscriber for like 7 or 8 years now and WP8 is one of the reasons I'm looking to switch so I can consolidate devices (also use a Zune device). I've heard that the current state of the relatively new XBM app is not that great but that upcoming updates are supposed to really revamp it. Also it inherited the Zune music catalog which is supposed to be much larger than Google's current one for All Access.

I dont have a Zune or Xbox so Ive never heard of Xbox music (and yes I got in on GMAA early so its 7.99). I have found Rdio and I am going to give it a whirl. It looks like its compatible with everything including Blackberry so it can go with me no matter what platform I want to use.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Xbox music is $100 per year ($8.33 per month) or $10 if you go month to month. The Xbox music app is much better than in the past (especially on 8.1), but I think the Zune program still works with the subscription (though not with the phone)

Last edited:

mschmi02

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
FYI, the best google music app is CloudMuzik, but it is definitely a work in progress. I've been on the developers beta for a few months now, and it is making progress.

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
FYI, the best google music app is CloudMuzik, but it is definitely a work in progress. I've been on the developers beta for a few months now, and it is making progress.

Does it stream Google Music All Access? I'm not worried about my music as I can put those on an sd card it's the streaming subscription that I need

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just want to add that I switched from Android and thought I would be miserable without Swype but the way WP8's predictive text works is so good, I say a little "thank you" every time I use it. Now voice recognition...eh, not as much. But the text input features are really good (IMO).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077