On the fence...

gskimmel

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using an iPhone 5 on AT&T and I'm bored with it. AT&T said if I stay with them they will let me buy the Lumia 1020 as long as I get a new 2 year contract. Today, I walked by Tmobile and saw the Lumia 925. The Tmobile rep said it is the exact same phone as the 1020 except for the camera but when I came home, I did a search and saw the specs are different. I am attracted to Tmobile's Jump program but the 1020 seems to be more powerful (more RAM). I like the power of the 1020 camera but I like the design/feel of the 925. I am not very familiar with WP8 and am wondering if having half the RAM of the 1020 makes a difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Well this is kinda hard to answer as no one has a WP yet with 2GB ram, what i can tell you is my htc 8x only has 1GB, and so did my last phone the lumia 920 as does the 925 and it works fine. There is no lag like when i previously had android (GS3). But does the 2GB make it even better, i am sure it probably does and also remember when 8.1 comes out next year that extra memory might be important for buttery smoothness as both of these phones should get the WP8.1 update feb 2014.

As for the comparison the 925 is more or less the 920, the 1020 has a few more enhancements than "just the camera"

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The ram won't make a difference, but the carrier will.

As a decades long tmobile customer I have never been as unhappy with them as I have been in the last several months.

Once they make the sale, they stop caring about you. Their support is horrible and only getting worse.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I started switching to t-mobile a few months ago and they've been great for me so far. I've had the opposite experience of Ordeith, customer service has been great so far (knock on wood), I get great reception at home and work, and their prices are much better than AT&T (which I was on before). Their network is definitely not as comprehensive once you get out of major city areas, but that hasn't been a serious issue for me.

I just got the 925 yesterday: If both the 925 and 1020 were on t-mobile I think I'd get the 1020, but if it's a choice of 925 on t-mobile or 1020 on AT&T, I'll stick with the 925. AT&T wants $299 for the 1020, and that is the price WITH a two year contract! Ouch!!! I'm sure that'll come down, but quite expensive for now. The 925 was just $50.

gskimmel

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone.

Here is my situation:

I can sell my iPhone for $354 so either the cost of the 925 or 1020 isn't an issue as it will be paid from what I will get from my iPhone

If I go with Tmobile:
AT&T ETF: $125
Phone: $50 (plus $20 month until I get tired of the phone and trade it in)
Monthly increase (until the iPhone 5s comes out so that my other half can join me on a family plan at Tmobile): $48 (includes the $20 payment for the phone) . Once the iPhone 5s is released then the monthly fee will be the same that we are paying now.

Pro: unlimited data, can change my phone twice a year
Con: phone storage is only 16GB (but it is the same as my iPhone); 1GB of RAM

If I stay with Tmobile:
Phone: $300
Monthly payment stays the same

Pro: most up-to-date phone; camera, storage and memory
Con: still on AT&T, restricted data, will need to sell phone to cover ETF if I want to jump to Tmobile later

As usual, I think I'm over analyzing this..lol

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
With current WP 8, the RAM upgrade should make no impact. 1020 has more RAM owing to the camera, which requires it. The most widely-used WP 8 phone, Lumia 520, has 512MB of RAM and runs just fine, and will get the 8.1 update, too. So the WP 8's 512MB memory requirement (rather than, say, 1GB) remains in effect for quite some time and hence 1GB should be future proof. But this being Microsoft we are talking about, who knows. Many Lumia 900 owners got their fingers burnt with WP 7 and its "support," so proceed at your own risk what ever you do. MS is not Apple, and Nokia alone can only do so much at the OS level.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The 925 having half the RAM as the 1020 won't make a difference at all. The only reason the 1020 has 2GB is because of that huge camera sensor. The 925 is a stunning phone, super light and many are saying it has a premium feel. The fact that it's running WP8 only makes it that much sweeter. You won't regret switching to T-Mobile for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo