Lumia 925 / First Impressions

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So after finally finding the patience to get off contract with Verizon (well, 2 out of 3 lines anyway), I took the plunge and switched to T-Mobile and picked up the Lumia 925.
Prior to that I've had an iPhone briefly (I love the iPad but don't like the iPhone, just don't iOS on a phone) and had several Androids (Droid Eris, HTC Thunderbolt) and then had an HTC Trophy that I had updated to 7.8.

Now that's out of the way, some thoughts on the Lumia/Windows 8.

Hardware

Pros:
Design - It's a great looking device. Feels great in the hand. It is reminiscent of an Apple design

Screen - The screen is gorgeous and vibrant. I can see it pretty well in direct sunlight.

Fit and Finish - Everything just feels solid.

Cons:

Nothing serious. Just a few minor annoyances.

Back Cover - I like the white back but I'm worried about it getting dirty. That could have been mitigated if T-Mobile had bothered to carry the charging cover (The T-Mobile store I got mine
at still hadn't bothered to put a demo unit out....)

Speaker - I wis
h the speaker was located somewhere else like the front or bottom.

Width - It is noticeably wider than my old Trophy. That may change to a pro over time but for now I'm adjusting.

Button Placement - This is another one that might change to pro as I adjust but having all the buttons on
the side makes it more difficult to avoid hitting buttons when holding. I would prefer the power button at the top.

Antenna - Not sure why but my wife's iPhone 5 (also T-Mobile) gets better reception in house.

Software

Pros:
Windows 8 - After being on 7.8 for a while and missing out on a lot of the new apps, it's nice to be on full blown 8 and having access to the full catalog. I know the OS is lacking what some (including me) consider to be key features but I think Microsoft, while slow, is really delivering a solid, unique platform and I'm willing to live with some of drawbacks because everything else is so good.

Nokia - Nokia is really doing some great work on the platform. The Glance screen is a nice addition. Here Drive is awesome (just tried it for the first time earlier tonight) and I love that you can have offline maps. The interface is very clean and better IMO than Google Maps. The
SmartCamera app is impressive andI really like City Lens. I tried out Nokia Music which I like (I suspect it's not dissimilar from Pandora but I haven't used Pandora so I don't know) but the ability to download playlists is really cool. Nokia is really bringing a lot to the platform and as much as it might be annoying for some to hear, it just doesn't make sense to go with another manufacturer, until someone else steps up.

Wifi Calling - This is a big deal in my case because I'm in a bit a dead zone with T-Mobile coverage to the point that the phone might be unusable from home without it. So far, it's worked well and it's great option to have.

Cons:

Notification Center - I like the Live Tile paradigm but it just isn't sufficient. It needs a notification center and I know they are working on it so I can live without it.

Quick Settings - I would like to change certain settings with a single click from a tile.

Additional Pinning options for Contacts - I would like to be able to pin a contact and a contact method to the start screen (ie pin my wife's phone number so that I just tap it and it initiates the call instead of taking me to her contact card after which I then have to tap the phone number)

I know some of these make the platform more like the competition but there are certain things that just make sense and need to be included but done so in a manner consistent with the platform.

On a side note, my son just said "I really like your phone. It's cool" and after showing some of the new features to my wife, she was complaining because her iPhone can't do them (not that she'll switch. She is not into tech and is not interested in learning how to do things. Plus she used my Trophy for a while and had trouble adjusting).

So overall, I'm thrilled with the new phone (although still iffy on the service).

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy that you were loyal to windows phone ;) Most of your cons seem to be very minor things, so I'm sure you will enjoy your phone in the long run.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the LTE is really weak where I am and it drops straight to 2G. I am assuming it will only get better so if I can live with it for now, I should be fine as they continue working on the network.

Marc Elkadi

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been a tmobile customer since tmobile started. My last phone was a nokia c7 astound symbian phone and I upgraded to the 925 the day it came out. I live in the NY area and the service was always excellent almost everywhere I went, including my house. My 925 gets only a couple bars in the house and rarely says LTE. I think the antenna on these is a bit weak :( Also, outside my house I have no service or low signal in many places I used to have excellent service. Besides this I love everything about the phone. I have been wondering if its my device or all of the 925's out there?? This thread made me think the latter.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for tip on the Connectivity Tiles. It's still not quite what I'm looking for (direct toggle of the setting vs going to the screen that allows the toggling) but it is an improvement.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am in the Austin area, haven't had any data speed probs, am getting 4G or LTE all the time and no dropped calls, wifi calling works fine too. Even my FM radio is working great! I am really happy with this device. :smile:

PS re Connectivity Tiles--as another option, Wiz Tiles Pro will let you create individual connectivity tiles and customize them with color, background image, etc.

1Sick1500

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Ive had my 925 for a few days now in Orlando and the reception is twice as strong as my Tmo Iphone 5. Whether im on 4g or LTE its great. I dont get the building penetration i would like at my office, but Wifi Calling makes up for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs