08-07-2013 06:02 PM
78 1234
tools
    I love your writing style Chris! I'll venture a guess that if you end up back at Android after the 14 day trial, you will likely be the first person in the history of wpcentral to do it with the blessing of us WP fans!
    Lol wouldnt that be something

Even if I do go back I could easily see myself buying something like the 625 for the days I still want to have a WP device. I would have just bought the 521 outright if the screen had easier to type on.
    07-25-2013 06:20 AM
    Nokia owes Muessig money for saving their ***
    You hear that Nokia? I'm coming to collect! In their defence peek was clearly still beta or at least latest release and wasn't included in the latest GDR2 backup thing when you hard reset. I can understand why it would have confused them. Them calling you out because of it is clearly a bad way to go, though. At least WPCentral could help you out there.

Hmm standout apps for free... Can you tell us any app gaps you're still currently missing?
    07-25-2013 08:08 AM
    This guy seems really good. He's documenting his stuff and is definitely trying his best. As someone else said, if you do back to Android it will be with our blessings and best wishes. It's rare I see someone give WP such a fair shot and do their best to see through its shortcomings. Props to you.
    Muessig and a5cent like this.
    07-25-2013 08:19 AM
    You hear that Nokia? I'm coming to collect! In their defence peek was clearly still beta or at least latest release and wasn't included in the latest GDR2 backup thing when you hard reset. I can understand why it would have confused them. Them calling you out because of it is clearly a bad way to go, though. At least WPCentral could help you out there.

Hmm standout apps for free... Can you tell us any app gaps you're still currently missing?
    Had they pointed me to the Lumia Pusher app it would have worked out fine and I would probably have a different view. The forums came through so I'm good.

My current apps are
    Instance (I have a love hate relationship with this app. When it works its good, but it hangs a lot)

Baconit (I like this one)

Simple Calendar (I've used this for years on Android and this version is just as good)

Fotor(love this app)

Spotify(a radio option would put this right in line with its counterparts)

Flixster (good enough)

Netflix. (laid out nicely)

I don't really do social media outside of Reddit and Instagram so Facebook and Twitter apps are unneeded. I feel like there are some real gems out there that are not on my radar so I am open to the adventure.
    07-25-2013 09:37 AM
    This guy seems really good. He's documenting his stuff and is definitely trying his best. As someone else said, if you do back to Android it will be with our blessings and best wishes. It's rare I see someone give WP such a fair shot and do their best to see through its shortcomings. Props to you.
    Thank you. I went in with an open mind and the thrill of trying something new. This was something I've been wanting to try for awhile and the Jump program from T-Mobile meant that if it didn't work out I was only committed for 6 months instead of 24.

Overall its been a positive experience.
    Muessig likes this.
    07-25-2013 09:44 AM
    Good information in here. I looked for Lumia Pusher and cant find the app in the app store?
    07-25-2013 10:47 AM
    Good information in here. I looked for Lumia Pusher and cant find the app in the app store?
    Credit goes to Muessig. I'm in the US and it redirected me to the proper market
    LUMIA pusher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)
    1Sick1500 and Muessig like this.
    07-25-2013 11:13 AM
    Chris, this entire thread here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...p-10-apps.html is full of the best app recommendations. I think about page 4/5 it starts to recommend WP8 apps. Take a look through and try some of them highly recommended apps there!
    1Sick1500 likes this.
    07-25-2013 12:29 PM
    Day 6

Y'all ain't gonna like this.

I returned the phone today.

The last couple of days there were some nagging issues that I could not see myself getting past.

In no particular order
    The lack of Instagram.
    While Instance did an ok job when it worked, it hung up a lot. I had to exit and reopen the app to see pics. Ive had a few problems uploading pics as well (today it took 6 minutes to upload a pic). I hope that Rudy Huyn's app can deliver a true Instagram experience. I have reached the point that I either use my Ipad and tether for Instagram or use my Nexus. I tried, I mean I honestly tried to like Metrogram and Instance, I didnt give Instagrapgh a go because they wanted my email address even though I already had an Instagram account. In the end, they just werent the same as Instagram's native app which is a shame.

The keyboard.
    The stock keyboard is phenomenal at word prediction. I sent my wife a complete text and only typed about 10 of the letters in the whole sentence. However I found having to toggle between sceens for numbers and back to letters irritating. Im used to Swype which has the number keys and all common punctuation on the same screen, you long press a letter to get to the appropriate number or punctuation. 90Z% of the time you never leave the first screen. I felt it was inefficient. I also love Swype typing, I ran many words together because I havent used a space bar in ages lol.

Swype Demo for those who are unfamiliar

Voice Controls
    This was the big one. I could not tell the 925 "Play Rise Against" have it open a music app and play it. My Nexus does this and it makes starting and changing music while driving very simple. Texting and driving is illegal where I live, and the last thing I want is to get a ticket for typing in a song name, or worse cause an accident. Outside of simple commands like "Call Mom" or "Open Calender" it doesnt do much. Hopefully Microsoft will get this on par with Google Now, but as of now there is no comparison.

The lack of a notification bar. I have a lot vital functions in mine. Settings toggles, music controls, weather, emails and texts show up here. Being able to pull down the notification bar and get a quick peek at a piece of information and go straight to it from the bar is wonderful. When I got a text on the 925 I got a little snippet at the top but tapping it didnt take me straight to the text box to return the text. I had to exit what I was doing and then go into messages, I hope the ability to jump from that notification to the appropriate spot gets implemented

lack of toggles. Live Tiles are wonderful, why cant I hit one to turn WiFi off and on instead of it taking me to the settings.

The lack of seperate volume controls. I like my ringer loud and my music about halfway as it causes distortion through my car stereo while streaming if its up too high. All in one volume needs to go

Y'all are gonna like this
    Things that I feel this phone does right.

In no particular order

The camera. I really liked using it. Pics looked fantastic and the instant upload to Skydrive was seamless. It made me excited to take pictures

The camera button. I loved this part of the camera the most. Pressing half way down to auto focus before the shot is awesome.

Live Tiles. I really like these

The OS in general. The phone in general is snappy, and looks beautiful. The uniformity throughout the phone and apps is very elegant. Everything sticking to the Metro UI creates a fluid look that I really enjoyed looking at.

Here Drive. Holy balls, I love this app like a fat kid loves cake

Outlook. I liked my inbox. very sexy and modern looking

Skydrive. This plays so well with my iPad and Nexus that I may give up my 50gigs of free storage with Box and pay for extra Skydrive storage. I had no trouble transferring things across all three devices

Glance. If this ever shows missed calls, texts, emails, and voicemails it will be perfect

Fotor. I know this is an app but it was a joy to use

Dont be sad or upset with me guys. I come away from the experience enlightened, and still have an overall positive view of the Lumia and WP8. I wanted to give WP8 a fair chance, many of you noticed, gave words of encouragement, tips to get me through rough spots, and cheered me on and I thank you guys for that. This forum has been very welcoming to me and showed a lot of hospitality, you guys are the best.

Oh and one more thing.

I loved Here Drive and the camera button so much that I bought a 521 and put it on its own line

While I didnt love WP8 enough to keep it as my daily driver, it earned a spot in my heart and pocket to guide me to my next destination to take that next pic. I snapped about a dozen pics tonight with my new 521 and while not as sharp as the 925 they look good and man I sure do love that dedicated button.

Stay classy guys you are the best, and Im not going anywhere.

Oh and it looks like WP Central is going to get my dollar after all

P.S. Muessig, I will compile some of my findings from switching from Android to WP8 and send them to you when I get a chance.
    07-25-2013 09:16 PM
    Instagram, lol.
    07-25-2013 09:23 PM
    07-25-2013 09:38 PM
    I bit sudden, but thanks for giving it a go. I've never really given Android a good run except from playing around with my mom's Galaxy S3, but it does hold many conveniences in the way of settings that I'd like to see on Windows Phone. lol Basically just settings and notifications.

When I got a text on the 925 I got a little snippet at the top but tapping it didnt take me straight to the text box to return the text. I had to exit what I was doing and then go into messages, I hope the ability to jump from that notification to the appropriate spot gets implemented
    You had to select the Messages tile? I was always able to tap the notification and go straight to the message thread in Windows Phone 7.x and Windows Phone 8...
    07-26-2013 12:18 AM
    For writing a punctuation or number, you should simply tap and hold the '123' option, slide your finger to the desired number or punctuation, and release and you go back to abcd option.
    07-26-2013 03:47 AM
    Glad you had a blast and enjoyed the experience enough to buy the phone that Crackberry claims to be ruining the market. Sock it to them
    07-26-2013 04:10 AM
    Hey man nice read.
    Sorry to hijack your thread but how to you or other users of this phone find the storage on it.
    I'm in the same position of wanting to come to windows phone after a few generations of Android phones and this phone is what i had in mind to do it but here in UK only Vodafone on contract holds the 32GB version and i don't buy phones on contract i like to buy my phones factory unlocked which means i can only get the 16GB version.
    I currently have a Galaxy S3 16GB with a 32GB microSD but in fairness i hardly use the space on the microSD, still im a bit concerned that if a put some music and pictures etc that will fill up quick! How do you guys find it?
    Also i use Windows 8 at home so it only makes sense to try Windows Phone and see how well integrates with my Rig OS, plus i'm a bit bored of Android to be perfectly honest, great OS but i fancy trying something new :)
    07-26-2013 04:14 AM
    Really enjoyed reading this. I myself am tempted to do a similar post but from iOS 7 to 925. I don't have the writing skills of Chris here, but the pros and cons are really interesting. There are clearly some things that windows phone does so much better, and other things about iOS I miss.

Currently I have an iPhone 5 and the 925....
    07-26-2013 04:22 AM
    Will a tablet app work on the phone? If so that is looking like a really nice alternative. 6tagram is also looking to be very nice as well

I bit sudden, but thanks for giving it a go. I've never really given Android a good run except from playing around with my mom's Galaxy S3, but it does hold many conveniences in the way of settings that I'd like to see on Windows Phone. lol Basically just settings and notifications.

You had to select the Messages tile? I was always able to tap the notification and go straight to the message thread in Windows Phone 7.x and Windows Phone 8...
    I was at an impasse, I was starting to look at hot spotting my Nexus to regain the ability to use a few apps and functions that just dont exist on WP yet, as well as a rare opportunity to return the phone without paying the restocking fee. It was a way to save 50 bucks and since I wasnt ready to give up on WP8 I put it towards the 521. It was the best outcome all around for me.

I really like Androids notification bar, being able to do things like pause/play and skip tracks as well as toggle settings like bluetooth WiFi etc quickly from anywhere in the phone is nice. I really hope they implement something similar in WP.

I initially thought I could drag it down to read it. When it didnt drag down, I tapped it. Maybe it didnt register my taps or I drug it slightly without realizing it, but when i didnt respond I shrugged it off as something the phone simply didnt do.

For writing a punctuation or number, you should simply tap and hold the '123' option, slide your finger to the desired number or punctuation, and release and you go back to abcd option.
    That is an awesome tip.

Glad you had a blast and enjoyed the experience enough to buy the phone that Crackberry claims to be ruining the market. Sock it to them
    Glad I can be part of the problem Whats funny is if Blackberry had a $150 smartphone dominating its segment in the world market they would hail it as the second coming of Christ

Hey man nice read.
    Sorry to hijack your thread but how to you or other users of this phone find the storage on it.
    I'm in the same position of wanting to come to windows phone after a few generations of Android phones and this phone is what i had in mind to do it but here in UK only Vodafone on contract holds the 32GB version and i don't buy phones on contract i like to buy my phones factory unlocked which means i can only get the 16GB version.
    I currently have a Galaxy S3 16GB with a 32GB microSD but in fairness i hardly use the space on the microSD, still im a bit concerned that if a put some music and pictures etc that will fill up quick! How do you guys find it?
    Also i use Windows 8 at home so it only makes sense to try Windows Phone and see how well integrates with my Rig OS, plus i'm a bit bored of Android to be perfectly honest, great OS but i fancy trying something new :)
    Having moved to a Nexus which doesnt have an SD slot I have become dependent on cloud storage and streaming. I have a data plan that can accommodate it so it works well for me. The jump to the 925 had no effect on me other than I had to change cloud service and streaming service (Copy and Google Music All Access are not compatible with WP8).

If data is an obstacle for you there is always, the option of making playlists for your music instead of taking your whole library. And syncing your pics daily to your PC.

Really enjoyed reading this. I myself am tempted to do a similar post but from iOS 7 to 925. I don't have the writing skills of Chris here, but the pros and cons are really interesting. There are clearly some things that windows phone does so much better, and other things about iOS I miss.

Currently I have an iPhone 5 and the 925....
    Doooooo eeeeet I had a blast writing about it.
    07-26-2013 06:35 AM
    I really like Androids notification bar, being able to do things like pause/play and skip tracks
    While music is playing, you can pause, play, and skip through the current playlist from anywhere just by pushing up or down on the volume rocker once. Simple pptions should come up for music and podcasts.
    07-26-2013 08:50 AM
    I'm going to jump back into Windows Phone after owning Androids for the last two years. I tried the HD7 for a few months and didn't really like it that much. But that was WP7 and 2 years ago. I'm hoping to have a lot better experience this time around.
    07-26-2013 09:06 AM
    I have not tried this myself, but there is an app in the Store called "Hey DJ" that gives you more voice control over your music player. The reviews are pretty good, in case you want to give it a go on the 521.

I hope you keep us updated on your further adventures with your new phone ๐Ÿ˜Š.
    07-26-2013 09:10 AM
    While music is playing, you can pause, play, and skip through the current playlist from anywhere just by pushing up or down on the volume rocker once. Simple pptions should come up for music and podcasts.
    Awesome. I will keep that in mind for my 521

I'm going to jump back into Windows Phone after owning Androids for the last two years. I tried the HD7 for a few months and didn't really like it that much. But that was WP7 and 2 years ago. I'm hoping to have a lot better experience this time around.
    I have no prior Windows Phone experience so I have no way to compare WP8 with earlier versions. When I went in I thought that I had found a work around for everything I needed to do. Some were very easy solutions like moving cloud storage to Skydrive others proved to be a tremendous pain like streaming radio. Pandora was the best solution but their lack of content vs Spotify is why I don't use it much

I have not tried this myself, but there is an app in the Store called "Hey DJ" that gives you more voice control over your music player. The reviews are pretty good, in case you want to give it a go on the 521.

I hope you keep us updated on your further adventures with your new phone ๐Ÿ˜Š.
    I will check it out.

I can post more adventures, hopefully they won't make me move next door to the 521/520 forum just yet :-)
    07-26-2013 09:27 AM
    Did you had any notification issue?
    07-31-2013 10:05 PM
    Did you had any notification issue?
    You question is kind of vague but I didnt have any issues with the notifications I used/use.

Before forwarding my Gmail to Outlook, Gmail would pull and notify every 2 hours.
    Outlook would notify everytime I got an email and update the live tile
    Text messages arrived and updated the live tile

The only problem I had was on occasion I would turn the volume down to watch a video or listen to music, and forget to turn it back up, so I didnt always hear the notification.
    08-01-2013 04:30 PM
    based on the goog's announcement I have setup my google accounts as exchange. Server search, proper calendar and contact support is back, exactly as it is on my iphone.

MUCH BETTER.
    08-02-2013 10:34 AM
    thanks! this helped!
    Make sure to block Drive from running in the background as it will eat your battery;

>Settings
    >Applications
    >Background Task

See whats running and block stuff you don't need - the only thing I leave running is my weather and battery app and I am getting around 8 hours of hard use and way most 12-14 hours with moderate use.
    08-03-2013 11:05 AM
78 1234