Hello WPCentral! I just wanted to stop by and say that I'm now a new owner of a Lumia 925. I bought a new one just a few days ago to replace my aging Galaxy Nexus. I breifly played with a Lumia 710 when they came out, but have been an Android user until now. So far things are great with this phone, I can't believe how fast it is! It takes milliseconds from when I hear the email ring, to when the particular email is open. Having used Windows 8 for a while now, it hasn't taken me much time to get used to Windows Phone 8, but I do have just a few questions:

The built-in Podcasting support on this thing seems pretty limited. It won't let me download anything over my cellular data connection. Is there any way around this? If not is there some third-party apps that get around this and work? I don't need anything fancy, just something that will download over cellular data and save my place in the podcast. I used to use Pocket Casts on Android.

I have several NFC tags from when I had my Galaxy, is there a way to use these with Windows phone to any great capacity? I downloaded the Nokia NFC writer app, but it doesn't seem to let me automate anything. For example, on Android I had a tag that would toggle Wifi and Bluetooth on and off for me. I can make a tag to open wifi preferences, but then I have to toggle it myself it seems.

Finally, there seems to be too many YouTube apps, all of which are thrid-party. This makes me a little nervous, are there any that are "trusted," or am I just better off going to the mobile site until Google (hopefully) makes an app themselves?

Thanks for all your help! I've been reading these posts the last couple of days before I bought my phone and it's been interesting to read everything.
    karmamule likes this.
    07-28-2013 08:57 AM
    Hello WPCentral! I just wanted to stop by and say that I'm now a new owner of a Lumia 925. I bought a new one just a few days ago to replace my aging Galaxy Nexus. I breifly played with a Lumia 710 when they came out, but have been an Android user until now. So far things are great with this phone, I can't believe how fast it is! It takes milliseconds from when I hear the email ring, to when the particular email is open. Having used Windows 8 for a while now, it hasn't taken me much time to get used to Windows Phone 8, but I do have just a few questions:

The built-in Podcasting support on this thing seems pretty limited. It won't let me download anything over my cellular data connection. Is there any way around this? If not is there some third-party apps that get around this and work? I don't need anything fancy, just something that will download over cellular data and save my place in the podcast. I used to use Pocket Casts on Android.

I have several NFC tags from when I had my Galaxy, is there a way to use these with Windows phone to any great capacity? I downloaded the Nokia NFC writer app, but it doesn't seem to let me automate anything. For example, on Android I had a tag that would toggle Wifi and Bluetooth on and off for me. I can make a tag to open wifi preferences, but then I have to toggle it myself it seems.

Finally, there seems to be too many YouTube apps, all of which are thrid-party. This makes me a little nervous, are there any that are "trusted," or am I just better off going to the mobile site until Google (hopefully) makes an app themselves?

Thanks for all your help! I've been reading these posts the last couple of days before I bought my phone and it's been interesting to read everything.
    Hey,
    Welcome to Windows Phone!
    Unluckily, I can't say anything about NFC or podcasts since I don't use them, but for youtube, I am using Metrotube. It looks really good, supports HD, downloading, comments etc
    07-28-2013 09:32 AM
    Weave news reader i think has a podcast option. Anyway, very solid rss type feed newspaper app. Love it.
    07-28-2013 11:03 AM
    I don't use NFC tags or listen to Podcast either, so I'm no help there. I think you may want to look at Bringcast.

Two of the best YouTube clients on the platform and indeed any platform are MetroTube and MyTube. These are downright excellent.
    07-28-2013 05:50 PM
    Welcome! I'm a recent Android convert as well.

I'm a big podcast listener and haven't yet found an app with everything I want, also used Pocket Casts on Android. Currently using Podcast Lounge which is one of better options on WP. It will allow downloads on cellular data if you select that in settings. Still haven't found a WP app that allows variable speed playback.

Sorry, but I don't use NFC tags, so no help from me on that one.

Good luck with the 925.
    07-28-2013 06:16 PM
    Music + videos hub, settings and you'll see an option for cellular download of podcasts.
    Oh and welcome over.
    07-28-2013 07:12 PM
    You can stream podcasts over cellular data if you choose.

Metrotube is my favorite third party YouTube app, but I've been using the official MS one since it came out. They removed some of its functionality by Google's bequest, so I don't know how it stacks up anymore since I made a point not to "update" it.
    07-28-2013 08:21 PM
    Thanks for all your suggestions! Podcasting is my only real concern since you tube's mobile site isn't half-bad, and I can easily live without NFC. I'll have to try out Podcast Lounge.
    07-29-2013 05:22 PM
    Thanks for all your suggestions! Podcasting is my only real concern since you tube's mobile site isn't half-bad, and I can easily live without NFC. I'll have to try out Podcast Lounge.
    hey, just hit the store and check myTube (by ryken apps). It is great. :) People stick with Metrotube because it's almost since the beginning, it's well-known to every WP user... Well... MyTube looks gorgeous and provides great "only audio playback" option - it's not available in Metrotube. :p Description says that trial limits you to watching 1hour of videos in 3 hour period - it has changed, looks like trial is fully-functional. Greetings and welcome aboard. :-):-)
    07-29-2013 05:36 PM