From Android to Lumia 925

kanishka007

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
1st of all, before i even say anything, I must say I am really thankful for guys in this forum. Really helped me took a decision which i was not 100% sure of. But most of the time, one is not sure of things they eventually fall in love with.!

2nd of all this thread is basically useless on a site dedicated to WP users. But there is a definite reason. We Indians, unlike our friends in States and Europe can't take advantage of any operator subsidies. Devices are sold unlocked and at hefty prices. To give you an Idea Iphone 5 retails in India for nearly 750$!!! Thats the only way one can have I5 in India! So how does this problem becomes a major problem? Well people have to think a lot before buying a device (unless one is filthy rich). We study, do a lot of research and so on. As with rest of the world we are also under an Android invasion, but most of the people in my age group (~25) want to try an iphone or a WP as their next device. And most of the time, they end up not buying a Wp because they are not sure of it. This thread is basically for those wanderers and to tell them why to trust the beloved Nokia again!

My history of nokia phones is long, from 6600 to E51 to N97mini to E6. All of them were fantastic at their time. Last to last year when i was looking for a smart phone i was comparing Lumia 800 and galaxy S2. Ended up buying S2 as rumours were strong of Wp7 not getting 8. S2 died this year.
This year it was L920 vs Xperia Z. Z won because of L920s weight. I was waiting for the one Nokia device to fall in love again. I had my issues with Z and they are posted in the thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/237160-should-i-get-925-a.html

The D Day

I went to Nokia priority dealer on 17th just to have a look at the device. Love is first sight is a fairy tale event? errr.. NO. I fell in love the first time I saw the device. As people say, Lumia 925 is what L920 should have been. I wonder what Lumia 925 would have done last year when Lumia 920 was launched :devil:

Nonetheless, the dealer told me that if I buy this, it will be the first sale in entire Mumbai. On top of it, he offered a good price for my Z. And to wrap it up, he gave me a DC16 charger. Deal Closed!!

I was one of those who received the device with a loose plate and washed out screen. Got it replaced today, so that's no more an issue.

THE GOOD:excited:

1. The design. It is the most beautiful device I have ever seen. Period.
2. The screen. The screen gives you the wide contrasts of an amoled screen yet retain the practical aspects like sunlight readability. Viewing angles are amazing!
3. Camera. Well before I replaced my 1st unit I clicked some pics with my friends. Those pics were immediately made facebook DPs by both of them!! The low light photos blew them away!
4. OS. Coming from android I think this is the best thing that happened. It simply doesnt lag. It can get slow at times, but thats rare and unnoticeable unlike androids.
5. Navigation. Its highly optimized and will suggest best routes considering mumbai's pathetic traffic

THE BAD :unhappy:

1. Tagging of locations and points of interest in Nokia maps lags behind Google maps.
2. Battery could have been better, but its still better than my Xperia Z :D
3. Aluminium is prone to scratches. An outer shell is a must
4. Device gets hot when using some heavy apps (Navigation or Streaming music on 3G). Again this has to do with the aluminium design rather than anything else.
5. Music quality surely lags behind Xperia Z

THE UGLY :eck:

1. Nokia Music. I think this has to do with some internal servers but I am unable to get the unlimited music pass on my device and this sucks!! This was the biggest reason of my purchase!: RESOLVED. It is now under "the good" category :)
2. Earphones. I understand that in-ear earphones are meant to create noise cancellation but these are pathetic. They are so big that they leave no space for air and can cause some aching after sometime.

I will not put presence of applications anywhere. I found what all i needed :)

With L925, I realized that a mobile phone must be good in doing what is expected out of it, before it goes smart.! In the end, if call quality, battery life, camera quality and design of the device is below the market, I will not be happy with the device even if it can cook food for me :straight:

Once again, thanks to WPcentral members for getting me on board.

Few Quotes i received in the office today:
"Is that a 720?" (yes the black one looks like a 720 when seen at the 1st go :crying:)
"Dude why will you buy a Windows phone by selling Xperia Z?"
"That is one sexy phone!!"
"Camera rocks man!"

Few Photos:
Flickr: kuvick88's Photostream

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for writing an excellent, well thought out review.

I've always liked reading reviews by actual users, not just bloggers from tech sites.

drddas58

May 29, 2013
Visit site
thanks man!!

Apparently all the issues are resolved. nokia music is working just fine!
I am waiting for the battery to calibrate as per my usage. till now, the juice I am getting is more or less similar to Z

Hello , kaniska007 , can you please tell me how you could fix nokia music issue ? Recently I purchased L925 , everything is o.k. except nokia music . I could not find mix radio , create a mix etc. in that app . Posted threads in this forum and also in nokia support discussion but getting no suggestion , also contacted nokia care , yet to get a fix for this issue.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
" To give you an Idea Iphone 5 retails in India for nearly 750$!!! "

Ah, the 16GB version cost me 1000 USD here in Europe...

"3. Aluminium is prone to scratches. An outer shell is a must"

Are you sure? I have seen Nokia N8's that have been in use now for two and a half years without scratches on the aluminium.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

Are you sure? I have seen Nokia N8's that have been in use now for two and a half years without scratches on the aluminium.

Why didn't you just throw your cash in a wood chipper instead? It would've provided more amusement.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
1 We Indians, unlike our friends in States and Europe can't take advantage of any operator subsidies. Devices are sold unlocked and at hefty prices.

The device costs the same, unsubsidized or not, since the wholesale prices typically vary only slightly. The subsidized contract model only splits the price up into monthly payments. You end up paying the same -- or often quite a bit more, as the operator can make the monthly payments ridiculously high compared to unsubsidized markets, where the device plus service cost significantly less during the same time period of time when bought separately.

kanishka007

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
ear phones? no one uses the ones that come with a phone, not even iphone users. those are the worst.
Agreed. No 1 uses them. I have a sennhieser set which i use regularly but its great to have awesome stock earphones. Read about stock xperia z earphones and you will know what I am saying 😊

kanishka007

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Please search Nokia Music in YouTube . You can find Demo & Review videos.
Thanks.
Apparently we have 6 months of free music downloads in India. It worked post registering my ID on Nokia's server

Hey, sad to hear so much to expense on a phone. I saw a video on youtube regarding hammer and knife test on L925. Now i understand that these are extreme cases, but when the maker just moved the knife across the corners without any damn force, the colour started to fade on L925. So may be I am wrong but this is an extremely beautiful device to risk :)

Hello , kaniska007 , can you please tell me how you could fix nokia music issue ? Recently I purchased L925 , everything is o.k. except nokia music . I could not find mix radio , create a mix etc. in that app . Posted threads in this forum and also in nokia support discussion but getting no suggestion , also contacted nokia care , yet to get a fix for this issue.

Hey man, congos on your purchase. The procedure is very simple. Call nokia care, get your id, IMEI number registered. They will check and confirm 2 things.
1. Your device is eligible for free music :)
2. Your id is not registered with them

They will ask for 5 working days, mine took only 3. Reinstalling the app in 3-4 days and checking WILL work for sure. Otherwise PM me, I will tell you more steps.

RainbowSeven

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I liked WP8 and overall smoothness however SERIOUS GSM RECEPTION PROBLEMs (losing signal etc. poor voice call quality etc.) made me RETURN this device after 48 hours...

I'm sad (design is nice, camera is great) but I need phone that works, not only on WiFi network.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I liked WP8 and overall smoothness however SERIOUS GSM RECEPTION PROBLEMs (losing signal etc. poor voice call quality etc.) made me RETURN this device after 48 hours...

I'm sad (design is nice, camera is great) but I need phone that works, not only on WiFi network.

Hi, may I ask in what country you live in?
I am asking because I was experiencing the same problem on my Lumia 822 but I was able to resolve it.

I live in the Philippines and LTE is not yet fully deployed nationwide and to some extent 3G. So there were areas where I was getting full bars and there were areas (especially the rural areas) where I would get no signal.

I solved this by going to "cellular settings" and changing my "Highest Connection Speed" from LTE or 3G to 2G.
After that I get full bars everywhere I go.

I change it back to 3G when I need data.

vajnorcan

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, ended up returning the phone and getting a new device, which is working as expected now, though wifi reception I consider to be a subpar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb