Android user asks

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there!
I am an Android phone user who is quite happy with my current phone. But ever since I saw the rise & rise of Windows phones (the 920 & now 925) I am getting curious. That is why I would like to ask these questions that would decide my choice for my upcoming upgrade late this year.

1. Does the Lumia's Bluetooth allows my phone to connect to any Bluetooth devices such as speakers, etc.? Or send a photo via bluetooth to ANY phone?
2. Does Lumia have a quick toggle to settings to instantly turn on or off settings such as wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, etc. (much like the notification drop down bar of Android)?
3. Does the Lumia 925 (or 920) have Dolby Mobile or Dolby capability in its music player? Is there a customisable equaliser to the new Lumias? Surround sound? Bass? Preset EQ settings?
Can one create a Playlist on-the-fly or via the device itself? And does the Lumia's music player have the ability to "find" or search for the Album art of a song/s?
4. Can I drag n drop files (.mp3, .flac, .mp4) from my Mac to the Lumia with ease? No need of any 1st-party app?
5. Can I set my default email to Gmail?
What alternatives can you guys recommend for Google Maps, Google Chrome, Google Translate, and Google Drive and Google Keep (that new note-taking app)?
6. Is there a pinch to zoom feature in zooming objects for taking photos? Is there an option to edit then share them via Email, Bluetooth, Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, etc.? A way to set photos as a phones's wallpaper?
7. Any Skype typing feature? (For faster typing)
8. Any good alternatives music player, video player for the Lumia?
9. Does the Lumia (or any WP8 phones) have the capability to print wirelessly to a wireless printer?
10. Slightly off-topic....Can one send complaints suggestions to an app developer via the Marketplace? (much like Google's Play store)
11. How fast is the shutter speed of the Lumia cameras? Is there a panorama mode? Can i easily or quickly see a photo that i have taken then easily & quickly edit them then send them via bluetooth or post them via Twitter, etc.,?
12. Battery life any good? Does it lasts say at least 24 hours unlike my Galaxy S3 LTE that lasts barely a day.
13. Games are still a disappointment as i am writing this 7 out 10 of my games are NOT on the Marketplace. is MS doing anything about this?

Please advice. Thanks.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes to almost everything. Question 13, they are reacting ..

I suggest you have to use a Windows Phone device in hand to experience it best. If you have access to stores which display WP devices, you should check them out.

Last edited:

Lumia 8x

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
There is no drop down menu. But you can install app to have connectivity shortcuts as tile. My best advice is rather being curious, just go to your local wireless carrier and play around.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Problem is i have done that. And its either the Windows phones they have are either not charged, broken, firmware not the latest ones or the headphone jack is covered so you can't even listen to the music or no music installed at all.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!
I am an Android phone user who is quite happy with my current phone. But ever since I saw the rise & rise of Windows phones (the 920 & now 925) I am getting curious. That is why I would like to ask these questions that would decide my choice for my upcoming upgrade late this year.

1. Does the Lumia's Bluetooth allows my phone to connect to any Bluetooth devices such as speakers, etc.? Or send a photo via bluetooth to ANY phone?
2. Does Lumia have a quick toggle to settings to instantly turn on or off settings such as wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, etc. (much like the notification drop down bar of Android)? Not directly at this time, but theres an app to add a shortcut to the start screen. (e.g. a tile that goes straight to Wi-Fi settings)
3. Does the Lumia 925 (or 920) have Dolby Mobile or Dolby capability in its music player? Is there a customisable equaliser to the new Lumias? Surround sound? Bass? Preset EQ settings? I think there's an EQ, don't know about the Dolby brand.
Can one create a Playlist on-the-fly or via the device itself? And does the Lumia's music player have the ability to "find" or search for the Album art of a song/s?
4. Can I drag n drop files (.mp3, .flac, .mp4) from my Mac to the Lumia with ease? No need of any 1st-party app? I believe you can
5. Can I set my default email to Gmail? Yes you can!
What alternatives can you guys recommend for Google Maps, Google Chrome, Google Translate, and Google Drive and Google Keep (that new note-taking app)?
Nokia Here Maps or Bing Maps isn't bad at all, the stock IE is decent from what I can tell, Bing Translate does the job, SkyDrive is a good alternative to GDrive (I currently use it), and Microsoft has a note-taking app called OneNote. It's part of the Office suite, an app available for Windows 8, on Windows Phone, and has an app everywhere. (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, on the web (via SkyDrive, which has Office WebApps, like GDocs, they aren't bad at all actually.)) It's nice for lots of stuff from note-taking in class to a shopping list.
6. Is there a pinch to zoom feature in zooming objects for taking photos? Is there an option to edit then share them via Email, Bluetooth, Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, etc.? A way to set photos as a phones's wallpaper? Yes, but do know there only is wallpaper on the lockscreen not where the tiles are. that's how its designed.
7. Any Skype typing feature? (For faster typing) You mean Swype? Nope, but give it a spin
9. Does the Lumia (or any WP8 phones) have the capability to print wirelessly to a wireless printer?
10. Slightly off-topic....Can one send complaints suggestions to an app developer via the Marketplace? (much like Google's Play store)
11. How fast is the shutter speed of the Lumia cameras? Is there a panorama mode? Can i easily or quickly see a photo that i have taken then easily & quickly edit them then send them via bluetooth or post them via Twitter, etc.,?
12. Battery life any good? Does it lasts say at least 24 hours unlike my Galaxy S3 LTE that lasts barely a day.
13. Games are still a disappointment as i am writing this 7 out 10 of my games are NOT on the Marketplace. is MS doing anything about this? Getting there, not optimal, but getting there. iOS is best if all you want is games IMHO and nothing else, almost literally.

Please advice. Thanks.

i chimed in in bold above

don't know everything, so a lot is left blank

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

Bluetooth pretty much on par with other systems (Google introduced BT 4.0 in 4.3 too) Nokia Amber update to include Bluetooth 4.0 support for Lumia 720, 620 and 520 | Windows Phone Central
2. Does Lumia have a quick toggle to settings to instantly turn on or off settings such as wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, etc. (much like the notification drop down bar of Android)?
Others have answered well, you will have to do one extra tap. You can pin quick settings tiles to the lockscreen via apps like the screenshot below
e4a5ae46-bde8-4bfd-9885-f94407ac4ffb

3. Does the Lumia 925 (or 920) have Dolby Mobile or Dolby capability in its music player? Is there a customisable equaliser to the new Lumias? Surround sound? Bass? Preset EQ settings?
Dobly support Dolby Headphone is music to our ears – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog
Nokia 920 Mobile Phone with Dolby Headphone

4. Can I drag n drop files (.mp3, .flac, .mp4) from my Mac to the Lumia with ease? No need of any 1st-party app?
I don't have a mac, but on Windows yes I can do that.

5. Can I set my default email to Gmail?
There is no default email client, you could only connect to GMail if you so wish. Outlook will always be present since your device connects via a live or outlook account. Unpin outlook and use only GMail. I personally being a developer use a Linked Inbox.

What alternatives can you guys recommend for Google Maps - Here Maps, Google Chrome - IE , Google Translate - Bing Translate, and Google Drive -Skydrive and Google Keep (that new note-taking app)? - OneNote (I don't know if it can replace it totally but is an alternative)

6. Is there a pinch to zoom feature in zooming objects for taking photos? Is there an option to edit then share them via Email, Bluetooth, Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, etc.? A way to set photos as a phones's wallpaper?

Yes there is pinch to zoom, actually it is even better it is swipe to zoom, much much easier and can be done with a single finger in Nokia Pro Cam.
Yes,yes and yes.

7. Any Skype typing feature? (For faster typing)
No, we only have the standard keyboard. You cannot customize it.

There are various apps available like Listen and app called Music Player. You should find an alternative that suits you in case you dislike the default interface

I have never used it but I found an app Brother iPrint&Scan | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) , it has mixed reviews.

Yes, developers provide a feedback button or link within their app. Also in the windows phone app page you can click on Report concern to Microsoft and then Microsoft contacts the developer. I suggest you follow the first method and avoid the latter unless the circumstances make it absolutely necessary.

Depends on the device. You can manually adjust shutter speed in Nokia Pro Cam, Yes there is panorama lense, Yes you can do it in a jiffy.

I think it will last a day on normal use.

13. Games are still a disappointment as i am writing this 7 out 10 of my games are NOT on the Marketplace. is MS doing anything about this?
Well, there are new ones you might try I guess. MSFT say they are trying, so we have to play the waiting game.

Please advice. Thanks.

Shad0wguy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Problem is i have done that. And its either the Windows phones they have are either not charged, broken, firmware not the latest ones or the headphone jack is covered so you can't even listen to the music or no music installed at all.

Do what I did and get a lumia 520/521 to try it out. They are less than $100 off contract and give a decent idea of how Windows Phone is.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Shifting from Android to Windows Phone 8 is quite big. And a challenge i think.

What's important to me are several things:

1. Screen size - I am used to the 4.7" screen size of my Galaxy S3. More than than is gonna be quite big for my hands and pocket. Smaller than that might be negligible as long as its a 720p screen, bright & crispy colours.
2. Audio & music player - Tinny & soft speakers sound is a turn off. Watching a Youtube video or waiting for a phone call its quite important to me. I'm also an audiophile. I like my music to sound solid, crisp, clear with no distortion. Android-esque features such ability to create and edit a Playlist, deleting a song , ability to find an Album art all on-the-fly is a plus but sound quality comes as my priority especially with headphones connected.
3. Battery life - Very subjective and depends on use. I would say i'm a moderate user. I use my phone whenever i want and having no updates or lots of synching happening at the background. A full day of battery life is a must for me.
4. Camera - I know Nokia Lumia might have a better than iPhone/Android shooter but features such as burst mode, ultra quick shutter speed, quick access to a taken photo and to easily edit and then share a photo instantly is a must.
5. UI - opening & closing of apps is very important. Even if its just transferring a file via bluetooth to a device.
6. Build quality - My old Symbian Nokia phones have excellent battery life & build quality. But heard of "high repairs/returns" of Lumia phones troubles me. True?
7. Updates - Because of Android's open source infrastructure all these companies tend to overlay their own "bloatware" to the standard Android OS thus updates are being delivered very often (or late) sometimes as long as 6-9 months. Am i going to wait for 6-9 months before each WP8 update to the Lumia range?
8. Apps - based on the replies i got there seems to be enough WP8 Marketplace alternatives to my Android apps. No problem in that. But there are still ones missing there. I've emailed those companies and so far 8 out of 10 said they have no plans or roadmap for a WP8 alternative. Quite worrying.
9. Games - Its nice to play a good game in your phone when your waiting for something or someone or when your travelling. Again, found out 8 out of 10 of my Android games are NOT on the Marketplace. Again, worrying. In a way.
10. Mac compatibility - So far haven't found any definitive info as to full Mac computers compatibility and easy drag n' drop of files.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Shifting from Android to Windows Phone 8 is quite big. And a challenge i think.

What's important to me are several things:

1. Screen size - I am used to the 4.7" screen size of my Galaxy S3. More than than is gonna be quite big for my hands and pocket. Smaller than that might be negligible as long as its a 720p screen, bright & crispy colours. Nokia's line from the 820 down have 480x800 (i think) resolution displays, and you'll have to go higher end, a HTC 8X or Lumia 920 (and up) have a 4.3" and a 4.5" displays respectively. (forgot resolution, but I know they're respectable)
There's one WP8 device with a 4.7" display, and that's the Lumia 625, but its a lower end device with a lower res display.

2. Audio & music player - Tinny & soft speakers sound is a turn off. Watching a Youtube video or waiting for a phone call its quite important to me. I'm also an audiophile. I like my music to sound solid, crisp, clear with no distortion. Android-esque features such ability to create and edit a Playlist, deleting a song , ability to find an Album art all on-the-fly is a plus but sound quality comes as my priority especially with headphones connected.
3. Battery life - Very subjective and depends on use. I would say i'm a moderate user. I use my phone whenever i want and having no updates or lots of synching happening at the background. A full day of battery life is a must for me.
4. Camera - I know Nokia Lumia might have a better than iPhone/Android shooter but features such as burst mode, ultra quick shutter speed, quick access to a taken photo and to easily edit and then share a photo instantly is a must.
5. UI - opening & closing of apps is very important. You can get in and get out quickly, but you cannot "close" apps manually at this time. WP is made for the use rto not futz with it. We will likely see an inclusion to close certain apps should we like eventually, but not now. Even if its just transferring a file via bluetooth to a device.
6. Build quality - My old Symbian Nokia phones have excellent battery life & build quality. But heard of "high repairs/returns" of Lumia phones troubles me. True? I'd say more false, every phone has bad ones. It could be that only those who have problems talk about it. When my Palm Pre 2 and iPod touch worked just fine, I didn't go and post about it. But some people have bad luck, or they just don't like the phone.
7. Updates - Because of Android's open source infrastructure all these companies tend to overlay their own "bloatware" to the standard Android OS thus updates are being delivered very often (or late) sometimes as long as 6-9 months. Am i going to wait for 6-9 months before each WP8 update to the Lumia range? Can't say for sure as it depends on the carrier (I think for the last GDR2, Nokia put up a table saying the status of their update in each carrier.) On WP, any bloatware is uninstallable, thankfully.
8. Apps - based on the replies i got there seems to be enough WP8 Marketplace alternatives to my Android apps. No problem in that. But there are still ones missing there. I've emailed those companies and so far 8 out of 10 said they have no plans or roadmap for a WP8 alternative. Quite worrying. makes us sadface, but if WP can keep its growth up, they will hopefully change unless they have some bias against MS or something.
9. Games - Its nice to play a good game in your phone when your waiting for something or someone or when your travelling. Again, found out 8 out of 10 of my Android games are NOT on the Marketplace. Again, worrying. In a way. But it does make a bit of sense given out small marketshare in the US. I can only hope it changes soon.
10. Mac compatibility - So far haven't found any definitive info as to full Mac computers compatibility and easy drag n' drop of files.

same as last time

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
As a first WP8 phone will the 920 be suffice or shall i get the slightly higher-end 925?

Features difference between the two?

Have both. Honestly I grew on to like the 925 better because of the weight and rounded corners. But if storage and a built in wireless charging capability is important to you, go for the 920

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I came from the HTC Sensation to the 920 and 11 months in I can honestly say I've never looked back.

My wife liked it so much I had to get another one contract free as she still had 12 months to go.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think when it comes to build quality, battery, smooth OS and the camera WP8 on a Nokia Lumia is tops.

But moving from Android to a Windows Phone is a very big change. My issue is partly money. I think the question here is: Am i prepared to spend my money on WP8 apps & games if i have a solid line-up on my Android phone including those all-important games already?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb