Is the Nokia Lumia 925 worth it? Are there long-time user?

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Why not just get a 1020? More RAM and better camera.

I had a 1020 and it is significantly heavier and thicker than the 925. (I have since returned it) Unless you need the camera even this website (Daniel) says they would pick the 925 if they could only pick one.

I am hung up on the 16GB of storage. The device is sweet, but I might wait to see if the 32 models start coming after the new year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Last edited:

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I got my 925 exactly one week ago and it is both my first flagship phone and my first Windows Phone (I still consider the 925 the all-rounder flagship and the 1020 the cameraphone flagship).
I must say that this is indeed the best (smart)phone that I have used until now. This is kind of a long review; so if tl;dr, please read the bold bits and jump to the bottom, please!

• Design

Design-wise it feels light, but not feather-like, meaning you still get some comfortable grip. You can hold it with one hand, though you might end up resting your fingers on the lens. If it gets annoying, try to rest it in between the lens and the dual-LED flash, where the hump starts (this can give a bit of extra grip, so less accidents with the floor). Sideways, you get the chance to admire that beauty of an aluminium frame, and it is more eye-popping when it comes in silver, rather than the more bland and dark-ish on the black version of the handset (this is the colour I got).
    The buttons have a nice feeling when pressing them - not too hard, not too soft - but the power/lock button can become noisy sometimes, may you be in complete silence and press it. I also like the metal/aluminium corners, where they get those iPhone4-ish black stripes. The bottom and left side are plain, and I agree when I see some reviews online that this thing looks like a stealth bomber. It's like if a stealth machine of destruction met this futuristic alien tech. And it is awesome.
    The top of the device is kind of busy with the headphone jack/microSIM slot and microUSB port all together, but guess what, you're facing your phone upfront, you won't notice these most of the time.
    The back? Well, the back is as beautiful as the front. I love the mix of features (how they look), like the speaker grill and the charging pins, and how it makes this baby different from the competition. The camera hump makes you say to yourself, even more, that this is a proud camera smartphone. It's nice to look at and the Pureview & Carl Zeiss branding leave some people asking you questions. The dual-led flash is unobtrusive. The black polycarbonate back has got some serious relationship with fingerprints and smudges, though the screen has a very efficient oleophobic coating. I can't see any fingerprints at all (I know, it's new and it will wear off after some time, what's the deal. The iPhone 5 on day one had fingerprints all over it, maybe it was intentional to make people get ready for Touch ID :winktongue:)

• Screen/Display

The screen blends so nicely into the body that I couldn't find any better out there. Don't get me wrong, some screens are really nice on other phones, but this one (and the 1020's, etc) is just plain beautiful. The light plays nice with the reflections on it, giving the device a special feeling. (note: screen != display). For the display, I have to repeat the word 'beautiful'. I really like the fact that I cannot distinguish individual pixels, so I'm not complaining (more like not moaning?) for not having 1080p fHD here. You get a pretty high resolution and detail with 720p + AMOLED, and that ClearBlack feature turns out to be stunning. The black background and the bezels are almost exactly the same colour, so where does the screen/display start and where does it end? While obvious, it's still a good mind-trick. Colour reproduction is vivid, bright and sunlight legibility is really good (for the standards). Didn't try the gloves feature yet, but hey, I trust what Nokia's saying there.

• Software/Features

This is the first time I use Windows Phone. I'll say it proudly: this is, by far, the best mobile Operating System I've used, and WP8 is now my mainly driver.
    Coming from an Android-filled world, I was getting tired of the annoyances: lag, lag, lag. Oh and stop right there if you say that I "used a Galaxy Ace hence the lag". Stop it. I used main flagship phones, with the latest Android versions (no nexus there, sorry) and it still lagged. Probably due to the horrible forks some OEMs do to the OS, but quad-cores and octa-cores should not give you lag or random force closes. Also, updates. Do you know how frustrating it is not to get even a minor update, then your OEM/whatever releases another flagship a few months after yours was launched, updates it, and you are left behind? Then: you have to dive and swim infinitely on xda forums to root, unbrick, install custom roms, change apps, etc. It's probably one of the most time consuming and warranty-hating thing in this planet.
    What I mean to say is that with Windows Phone 8 (rocking Amber + GDR2 here) I cannot feel any lag. No lag at all. Animations are fluid: check. Everything scrolls smoothly: check. Quality apps: check.
    Seriously, even the fact that goodies (i.e. Bing Vision) and Facebook are integrated into the OS makes me love it more. Personalisation is good and the Modern UI is something I loved since the early days of "Metro". As for the apps: I have all the quality apps. GPS with *proper* offline support. Greatly designed apps/games. Xbox. Office. Skydrive. Office. Outlook. Did I say Office? :wink: (I use it that much).
    Ok, I admit! I still miss some games that I had on Android, but that is it. There's only one complain here: not having a close button or a nice method for closing running apps. The back button thing gets tiring after some time.
    [edit] 16gb memory is not an issue for me, so not commenting on that. It's up to how you fill it up.

• Camera and conclusion

I'm sorry folks, but I haven't tested the camera as much as I wanted to, due to being working almost all day. I took some pictures and low-light is indeed incredible. Check the 'pictures taken with your Lumia 925' thread to see some samples (mine as well).
    Sorry for the long and somehow out of topic review, but I got the opportunity here to do it. I think it's also relevant, in general, if you want to know about the 925 and are an absolute beginner with the Windows Phone world or if you are 'afraid' of switching.
Resuming (and for the tl;dr bastardites) - this is a great phone, it feels premium, it feels flagship, it feels solid and it looks futuristic. So, if you're like me and want the best all-rounder Windows Phone device* in a slim body with a premium look/feel, go for it.

*until now. October might break this, a bit.

Nice thoughts. I currently have two S4's and ATT version and Google edition and iPhone 5 and the Nokia 1020 was much slower. I do not mean in scrolling etc because to me it was smooth as my phones are but to open and use routine apps it seems quite slow. It has the nice transitions dots which are nice to look at until you realize they are disratcting you from your app opening and working. Is that just my observation? I think WP has some potential but is not there yet from my week with a 1020.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Last edited:

wpwolf

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I just launched numerous apps, including some navigation apps, and I experienced no lag and no transition dots. My experience with the Lumia 925 and WP8 has shown me that both device and operating system operate smoothly and quickly, with no hang-ups. This stands true even when compared with my previous Android, IOS and Symbian devices.

dlstevenson

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Loved this response, and all your details. I had no doubt that the Lumia 925 was beautiful but I am more eager than ever to get my hands on it. Thank you so much for your comment!

anon(5419168)

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile Nokia 925 since July. After a week or so the battery life became amazing. The phone grows on me each day and it is by far better than my HTC 8X I had prior to the 925. I have had zero problems to date. I 'm on the jump program and am having doubts that I want to trade it in 6 months. T-Mobile is going to have to pick up a top end Nokia device to make me give up the 925. If it doesn't work out for you, you can always return it. Enjoy the new toy.

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I personally think that Lumia 925 is a well balanced and great phone. Windows Phone 8 with Amber update has made it quite a stable platform to compete with the others out there.

My job requires me to evaluate a lot of solutions (I'm an IT guy), recommend and deploy them. I have multiple devices at my disposal to test and I'm pretty sure I can fairly say that Lumia 925 is a great phone for smartphone users who wants good pictures to post to most of the social networks out there and also with some integration to enterprise email. You can't beat Windows Phone 8 in email. Hands down the best email managing client on any mobile platform.

When it comes to the phone build, I think its a great combination of hardware matching the software. Many people do not understand that. If you are a benchmark junkie, you won't understand to the full extend what Nokia's fundamentals of the design in the Lumia 925 is all about. Its all about balance and its usability.

If what you're looking for in a smartphone is email, posting photos to fb/instagram/flickr, stability, decent battery life, office integration, you're looking at the right phone.

Just my 2 cents.

dlstevenson

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd send in a quick update. I recieved my Lumia and finally have it all set up, and you all were right, it is a BEAUTIFUL, sleek phone. I'm blown away! The clarity of the screen is gorgeous, bright and detailed. The phone's body is expensive looking, I held it up next to my friend's brand new Galaxy and it made the samsung look cheap and amateur by comparison. Everything flows and I love the moving tiles. Even the built in ringtones are lovely! I am very happy with this purchase. While the "my phone bricked!" thread still makes me anxious, I am more than happy to be giving this a try -- at least I'll know! And if nothing arises, then I'm lucky enough to have such a chic device. Thank you all for your feedback and input!

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd send in a quick update. I recieved my Lumia and finally have it all set up, and you all were right, it is a BEAUTIFUL, sleek phone. I'm blown away! The clarity of the screen is gorgeous, bright and detailed. The phone's body is expensive looking, I held it up next to my friend's brand new Galaxy and it made the samsung look cheap and amateur by comparison. Everything flows and I love the moving tiles. Even the built in ringtones are lovely! I am very happy with this purchase. While the "my phone bricked!" thread still makes me anxious, I am more than happy to be giving this a try -- at least I'll know! And if nothing arises, then I'm lucky enough to have such a chic device. Thank you all for your feedback and input!

What color did you get? Black? Gray? :D

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to hear from 925 users who are going without a case. How is the phone holding up, particularly the aluminum sides? Are they getting chipped, dented, etc? Thanks!

lnsertName

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Went from an 800 to an 820 and then the 925... Got a 1020 2 weeks ago, reverted back to the 925.

Sent from my LG-G2 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to hear from 925 users who are going without a case. How is the phone holding up, particularly the aluminum sides? Are they getting chipped, dented, etc? Thanks!

had a case but removed it. since then no dents, no chips.

dlstevenson

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I got white, since I do love the look of a white phone. It's covered in a blue case, since I'm extremely prone to dropping it -- I've dropped it twice, each incident within about 5 seconds of eacohther, AH!

doubleyewpee

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had it for a long time, in fact I've had it for less than 24 hours. BUT just for insight, an extra opinion can't hurt.

I've had an iPhone back in the day, and used exclusively Android for the past 3/4 years or so. Two year renewal came up, said screw it let's try something new, got the 925. So far I am in love with it. It's a really sleek phone and surprisingly the OS is very intuitive and simple. Nokia makes great hardware period, one of the best feeling phones I've felt. If you can live without Candycrush and the other 500 new terrible social apps that come out on Android every day, than you will be FANTASTIC with a Windows phone.

I can make phone calls, text, check email, take great photos, have my functional utility apps, and all packed into a sleek, sturdy, sexy phone. Again, I am REALLY loving it so far. It works, and it works great.