02-24-2014 04:07 AM
58 123
tools
    The Microsoft Wallet app does allow NFC based purchases. This feature however seems to be carrier restricted.
    Good to know. It is obviously not used much as I have never heard about it. Kudos to Google for figuring a way around the carriers in KitKat 4.4 where you can use Google Wallet tap to pay circumventing the carrier block. I have always had it on my Nexus devices and now my Moto X.

Any hacks you know of around the carriers block for MSFT wallet? Thanks!
    01-03-2014 11:49 AM
    The Microsoft Wallet app does allow NFC based purchases. This feature however seems to be carrier restricted.
    I think it's through ISIS, which requires a special SIM card from the carrier. And I believe it only works in theory at this point. I've never heard of anybody actually using it. I don't know anything about ISIS either, since my daily driver has been Nexus devices for the last year + and I can use the built-in NFC for tap + pay. If anybody can confirm or correct this, I'd appreciate it!
    01-03-2014 12:12 PM
    I think it's through ISIS, which requires a special SIM card from the carrier. And I believe it only works in theory at this point. I've never heard of anybody actually using it. I don't know anything about ISIS either, since my daily driver has been Nexus devices for the last year + and I can use the built-in NFC for tap + pay. If anybody can confirm or correct this, I'd appreciate it!
    I know quite a bit about ISIS and refuse to use it. It is the NFC payment system developed but ATT, Verizon and TMobile. They blocked the use of google wallet on their branded devices while they took over 2 years to develop this payment system. Nexus devices and Sprint users have been able to use Google Wallet to tap and pay for some time. I first started using it on my Nexus 4. They have finally launched ISIS in many markets and you do need a specialized SIM with a secure element...No thanks. ATT can stick ISIS and I will stick with google wallet on my Nexus 5 and Moto X. I also have the Google wallet card for places that do not take tap and pay. Google Wallet and I assume Microsoft Wallet utilize a virtual cc number so your number is never actually put at risk. Worked great at target recently while I waited on my new debit card!

As a tap and payer, I would love to use it on my Lumia...

EDIT: I looked this up and do not see anything about using NFC on a Lumia for payment.
    http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/nfc-phones/
    tgp likes this.
    01-03-2014 06:13 PM
    I know quite a bit about ISIS and refuse to use it. It is the NFC payment system developed but ATT, Verizon and TMobile. They blocked the use of google wallet on their branded devices while they took over 2 years to develop this payment system. Nexus devices and Sprint users have been able to use Google Wallet to tap and pay for some time. I first started using it on my Nexus 4. They have finally launched ISIS in many markets and you do need a specialized SIM with a secure element...No thanks. ATT can stick ISIS and I will stick with google wallet on my Nexus 5 and Moto X. I also have the Google wallet card for places that do not take tap and pay. Google Wallet and I assume Microsoft Wallet utilize a virtual cc number so your number is never actually put at risk. Worked great at target recently while I waited on my new debit card!

As a tap and payer, I would love to use it on my Lumia...

EDIT: I looked this up and do not see anything about using NFC on a Lumia for payment.
    http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/nfc-phones/
    Thanks for the info. When I said that ISIS only works in theory at this point, I meant on WP. I know that Android users have been using it for awhile now. But Google took care of the carriers blocking NFC payments in KitKat with some clever coding. I'm hoping WP gets tap + pay working soon. They have NFC & they have a Wallet. The components are there.
    01-03-2014 08:10 PM
    Thanks for the info. When I said that ISIS only works in theory at this point, I meant on WP. I know that Android users have been using it for awhile now. But Google took care of the carriers blocking NFC payments in KitKat with some clever coding. I'm hoping WP gets tap + pay working soon. They have NFC & they have a Wallet. The components are there.
    I was following you. Of course you need the ISIS app which is only available on android right now...the story of WP's life...
    tgp likes this.
    01-03-2014 10:03 PM
    Im sorry... but nexus 5. Its so beautiful and powerful..
    01-04-2014 07:31 PM
    Im sorry... but nexus 5. Its so beautiful and powerful..
    Use your words like beautiful carefully.. You are using that word against 925... :D
    metalchick719 likes this.
    01-04-2014 11:15 PM
    I was on the fence between the two. I opted for the 925 because they are going so cheap right now ($230 at ShopHQ with no shipping or tax)...roughly $155 cheaper than the red Nexus 5 I was also eyeing with shipping and tax ($385).
    metalchick719 likes this.
    02-24-2014 04:07 AM
58 123