Lumia 925 or Nexus 5

pizana_13

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
All Official Nokia Apps are now bought by Microsoft for 10 year license. So you can get all Nokia apps on all new MS-Nokia phones. They will be exclusive for only MS-Nokia phones but not for HTC, or Samsung or others.

Are you sure? Wouldn't that sorta steer other OEM's to dump WP?

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought about that, is it hard? Do you have city lens?

Have not tried to get it.. I know my town better than most. I'm my own City Lens.. The proxy is very simple. Quick tips:
Enable airplane mode.
Change region to other than US, I do UK
Reset
Change region back to, or to US. Do NOT use "back" button, leave page open
Enable WiFi
Set proxy address, again no backsies
Open store.

Done and done
If issues happen, back out to home and reenter store..

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This isn't a good comparison choice. The 925 runs on early-2012 hardware (except for the camera), while the Nexus 5 will run on a SoC that's at least a year newer. The Nexus 5 is more likely to match up against a 929, so I'd wait to hear about that (or a proper sub-5" device successor).

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
As a Nexus 4 owner previously, last weekend I chose a Lumia 1020 over the Nexus 5 for the following reasons: SkyDrive integration, Office 365 integration, native corporate email client, the camera, and because I've pre-ordered a 256GB Surface Pro 2 to replace my Nexus 10 and wanted to align my devices. So far I haven't looked back.

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I currently own both, having just got the 925 three days ago and having had the N5 since three days after it was announced. I like the 925 better, but to be objective, the N5 is a better bargain with more storage (talking T-Mobile here) with a better screen and specs. The 925 though, looks cooler, is livelier, wins in the camera/camera software department by a wide margin, and is just a more satisfying device to use. WP8 is so underrated!!

Michael Gruhlke

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 925 hands down. As with iOS, you don't need quad core processors and 2 gb of ram to run the OS (but it's icing on the cake when you have one). Android UI's app dependent; iOS and Windows 8 UI priority over apps so these phones run smoother, faster and without any hitches that you see with Androids, including the newer N5, G2, etc. Best smartphone is the iPhone 5S but way overpriced and smaller 4" screen; next best is the Nokia series and the 925 isn't a slouch. I own one of them and an 810 - these phones are awesome plus you get great cameras and Nokia apps which are much better than Google (Maps, Drive, Music, etc). This is a no brainer for me since I've owned and used all the mobile OS (N4, G2, S4, Sensation, etc) except for BB - Windows 8 is awesome!

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have had the Nexus 5 since launch as well as other Nexus devives and many android phones. You do get the fastest and latest updates as my Nexus 5 is already on 4.4.2 which 2 updates since launch. I also have a moto X which really gives the Nexus a run for its money. One thing I am noticing is Google trying to force everyone to use Google + and I do not want to use google +. It is getting to the point where it will be hard to avoid. I do not like having stuff forced on me. To use their picture backup system G+ photo, you have to go through all this stuff with google +. All I want is a simple way to save my photos in the cloud. I am currently using dropbox.

I have a Lumia 925 on the way. My head told me to wait until spring but I saw a great deal on SWAPPA. Not sure why I bought a device with 16GB of storage. but I should be okay to try out and if skydive works well. I am looking forward to the camera and using skydive (got the free 20GB). I wish skydive offered auto upload from android. Their storage prices seem really competitive as well as 50 GB was like 25 a year.

Some of the things I like about my androids are stock or near stock UI, good integration with gmail, google stuff, lots of apps, google wallet which I use almost daily and I can use both my androids with my pebble watch. Having said that the cameras on both leave something to be desired. Also, Android seems to be a bit stale and I want to experience something new. I think 2014 could be a big year for WP if they play their cards right. I just got a windows 8.1 desktop and laptop and am eager to see the integration with Windows Phones.

I think the Nexus 5 and google probably have the edge right now on the Lumia 925 and MSFT but it all depends on what you want and how integrated you are. Variety is good also!

billyweber0101

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I've learned to go test them in store and feel them out. I was with apple, then android now WP. I love my 925. Thin, modern, simple, clean, just works. Connected. Great camera. I found I really enjoy windows phone. Thry gave thought to so many things. Its getting better and I have all the apps I need. More to come which excites me. I want 5 inch display no bezel from end to end, good speakers like HTC boom, 2500-3000 battery, 32-64gig, 2g quad, wireless charge, be cool to split screen like windows tablet multi task :))

gripr

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone 5. I purchased the Nexus 5 a couple of weeks ago. The phone is simply amazing, except for the camera. The camera is slow when trying to focus on an object. I was very spoiled with my iPhone 5 being able to "trick" focus and snap a pick and all that jazz. I have until Jan to to return the Nexus 5 and I don't want to to go back to the iPhone because I like changing it up every year. I want to get a 925 because I'm on T-Mobile, but I need to know if the camera is as good or better than the iPhone 5. I don't just mean image quality, but how fast can it focus on an image and take it. Can I continually tap on the camera capture button like a "million" times and will it take those shots or will there be delays and I'll end up with a few pictures?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My wife had an iPhone 5 and now has a 1020 and I have a 925 and a Xperia Z1
She says the camera on the 1020 not only blows the 5 away but is so easy to use. Now the camera on the 925 isn't as good as the 1020 but it is easy to use like the 1020 she also said that with the iPhone 5 she wasn't able to zoom into look at details on the photos as much as she can with the Nokia.
I know the updates come quick on the nexus, I have a nexus 7 that has 4.4.2. but Google really bothers me as well. I'm in the process of moving completely to Windows, my wife bought me a 2520 for Christmas and I'm using my outlook email from now on.

garymontague

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
My wife had an iPhone 5 and now has a 1020 and I have a 925 and a Xperia Z1
She says the camera on the 1020 not only blows the 5 away but is so easy to use. Now the camera on the 925 isn't as good as the 1020 but it is easy to use like the 1020 she also said that with the iPhone 5 she wasn't able to zoom into look at details on the photos as much as she can with the Nokia.
I know the updates come quick on the nexus, I have a nexus 7 that has 4.4.2. but Google really bothers me as well. I'm in the process of moving completely to Windows, my wife bought me a 2520 for Christmas and I'm using my outlook email from now on.

What's your take on the camera of the Z1 compared to the 1020 or 925?

Thanks

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Nexus future-proof? Ha! That's a good one. As soon as a Nexus has 2 successors it won't get any updates. And with Play Store editions of other phones (Galaxy S7, HTC One, Xperia Z) the Nexus has no advantages anymore (besides getting more buggy updates).

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Nexus future-proof? Ha! That's a good one. As soon as a Nexus has 2 successors it won't get any updates. And with Play Store editions of other phones (Galaxy S7, HTC One, Xperia Z) the Nexus has no advantages anymore (besides getting more buggy updates).

Exactly, the Nexus' only real advantage over competitors is its unlocked price. Otherwise, it doesn't particularly excel at anything. Even the "unfiltered" Google Experience on a Nexus device is over-rated. Users end up with no social media integration (i.e. No Facebook photo/contact information for your contacts). They also end up with a very poor non-GMail email experience, since Google relegates all non-Gmail accounts to a second inferior email app. Finally, the camera, photos, and music applications are feature poor stock Google versions as well.

Its just my experience, but I found Sony's apps to be much better than Google's when I had my Xperia.

Last edited:

jvanlew

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, the Nexus' only real advantage over competitors is its unlocked price. Otherwise, it doesn't particularly excel at anything. Even the "unfiltered" Google Experience on a Nexus device is over-rated. Users end up with a no social media integration (i.e. Facebook photo/contact information for your contacts). They also end up with a very poor non-GMail email experience, since Google relegates all non-Gmail accounts to a second inferior email app. Finally, the camera, photos, and music applications are feature poor stock Google versions as well.

^-- Nailed it.

I bought a Nexus 5 on launch day and was sorely disappointed the first time I tried to take photos and videos of my two small daughters. I've had EVERY Nexus phone and I just find the "Nexus experience" to be very lackluster and unfinished. I kept thinking it would get better with new Nexus devices and it just didn't. I would actually prefer to have an iPhone 5 or 5s over a nexus 5 at this point. Say what you will about iOS, but I find it to be a much better user experience than vanilla Android any day of the week. Obviously I prefer Windows Phone over both of them as I ended up trading my N5 for a BNIB L925 on swappa and couldn't be happier.

I'm very much looking forward to the new Windows Phones that may be coming out in the next year. Give me a 4.5" or 5" Windows Phone with Lumia 1520 specs and I'd buy it in a second.

Just my $.02. Spend accordingly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss