Lumia 925 or Nexus 5

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
^-- Nailed it.

I bought a Nexus 5 on launch day and was sorely disappointed the first time I tried to take photos and videos of my two small daughters. I've had EVERY Nexus phone and I just find the "Nexus experience" to be very lackluster and unfinished. I kept thinking it would get better with new Nexus devices and it just didn't. I would actually prefer to have an iPhone 5 or 5s over a nexus 5 at this point. Say what you will about iOS, but I find it to be a much better user experience than vanilla Android any day of the week. Obviously I prefer Windows Phone over both of them as I ended up trading my N5 for a BNIB L925 on swappa and couldn't be happier.

I'm very much looking forward to the new Windows Phones that may be coming out in the next year. Give me a 4.5" or 5" Windows Phone with Lumia 1520 specs and I'd buy it in a second.

Just my $.02. Spend accordingly.

The 4.4.2 update to the Nexus improved the camera significantly. Although still not in the league with a Lumia.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
What's your take on the camera of the Z1 compared to the 1020 or 925?

Thanks

I prefer the ui on the "Nokia camera" app better. The Z1 and 1020 are very close when viewing the photos on the same device with the Z1 a little ahead but the display is much better on the Z1 due to the higher ppi.

Knight018

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have both a 925 and a Nexus 5. I switch back and forth every week or so. I'm currently using the Nexus5 because I'm currently hooked to a game called Spirit Stones even though it wrecks my battery. xD

When I compare 2 phones I prefer comparing the things I don't like because it's these little things that will make or break my experience, and whether I can live with the device on a daily basis.

The things about the 925 that I don't like are: I can't turn off haptic feedback, a couple of apps I want aren't on windows phone(dropbox and a good google hangouts app), I can't change the default web browser ,wireless charging isn't built in, and it only has 16 gb of storage of which only 12 is free to the user. The storage is my biggest problem which I solve with the cloud, and I easily solved the wireless charging issue with a cover although now the phone gained a tiny bit of weight and bulk.

The things about the Nexus5 that I don't like are: battery drain which is caused by the 5 inch 1080p screen i love, only 25gb of the 32gb storage is free, camera isn't as good as the 925 although i can have hdr on all the time and it produces decent pictures.

In the end, I would still pick the 925 over the Nexus 5 because of the camera and because I get better battery life from it, but they are both great phones. You would be happy with either phone in my opinion. I'm very happy with both.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have both a 925 and a Nexus 5. I switch back and forth every week or so. I'm currently using the Nexus5 because I'm currently hooked to a game called Spirit Stones even though it wrecks my battery. xD

When I compare 2 phones I prefer comparing the things I don't like because it's these little things that will make or break my experience, and whether I can live with the device on a daily basis.

The things about the 925 that I don't like are: I can't turn off haptic feedback, a couple of apps I want aren't on windows phone(dropbox and a good google hangouts app), I can't change the default web browser ,wireless charging isn't built in, and it only has 16 gb of storage of which only 12 is free to the user. The storage is my biggest problem which I solve with the cloud, and I easily solved the wireless charging issue with a cover although now the phone gained a tiny bit of weight and bulk.

The things about the Nexus5 that I don't like are: battery drain which is caused by the 5 inch 1080p screen i love, only 25gb of the 32gb storage is free, camera isn't as good as the 925 although i can have hdr on all the time and it produces decent pictures.

In the end, I would still pick the 925 over the Nexus 5 because of the camera and because I get better battery life from it, but they are both great phones. You would be happy with either phone in my opinion. I'm very happy with both.

Liking my Lumia 925 I got earlier this week. I also have a Nexus 5 but have been using my moto x as my daily driver. As a moderate Google Now user and avid google wallet tap and pay user those are two things that would keep me from jumping to another OS at this time, not to mention touchless control on my moto x!

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Liking my Lumia 925 I got earlier this week. I also have a Nexus 5 but have been using my moto x as my daily driver. As a moderate Google Now user and avid google wallet tap and pay user those are two things that would keep me from jumping to another OS at this time, not to mention touchless control on my moto x!

The Microsoft Wallet app does allow NFC based purchases. This feature however seems to be carrier restricted.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The Microsoft Wallet app does allow NFC based purchases. This feature however seems to be carrier restricted.

Good to know. It is obviously not used much as I have never heard about it. Kudos to Google for figuring a way around the carriers in KitKat 4.4 where you can use Google Wallet tap to pay circumventing the carrier block. I have always had it on my Nexus devices and now my Moto X.

Any hacks you know of around the carriers block for MSFT wallet? Thanks!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I think it's through ISIS, which requires a special SIM card from the carrier. And I believe it only works in theory at this point. I've never heard of anybody actually using it. I don't know anything about ISIS either, since my daily driver has been Nexus devices for the last year + and I can use the built-in NFC for tap + pay. If anybody can confirm or correct this, I'd appreciate it!

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I think it's through ISIS, which requires a special SIM card from the carrier. And I believe it only works in theory at this point. I've never heard of anybody actually using it. I don't know anything about ISIS either, since my daily driver has been Nexus devices for the last year + and I can use the built-in NFC for tap + pay. If anybody can confirm or correct this, I'd appreciate it!

I know quite a bit about ISIS and refuse to use it. It is the NFC payment system developed but ATT, Verizon and TMobile. They blocked the use of google wallet on their branded devices while they took over 2 years to develop this payment system. Nexus devices and Sprint users have been able to use Google Wallet to tap and pay for some time. I first started using it on my Nexus 4. They have finally launched ISIS in many markets and you do need a specialized SIM with a secure element...No thanks. ATT can stick ISIS and I will stick with google wallet on my Nexus 5 and Moto X. I also have the Google wallet card for places that do not take tap and pay. Google Wallet and I assume Microsoft Wallet utilize a virtual cc number so your number is never actually put at risk. Worked great at target recently while I waited on my new debit card!

As a tap and payer, I would love to use it on my Lumia...

EDIT: I looked this up and do not see anything about using NFC on a Lumia for payment.
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/nfc-phones/

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I know quite a bit about ISIS and refuse to use it. It is the NFC payment system developed but ATT, Verizon and TMobile. They blocked the use of google wallet on their branded devices while they took over 2 years to develop this payment system. Nexus devices and Sprint users have been able to use Google Wallet to tap and pay for some time. I first started using it on my Nexus 4. They have finally launched ISIS in many markets and you do need a specialized SIM with a secure element...No thanks. ATT can stick ISIS and I will stick with google wallet on my Nexus 5 and Moto X. I also have the Google wallet card for places that do not take tap and pay. Google Wallet and I assume Microsoft Wallet utilize a virtual cc number so your number is never actually put at risk. Worked great at target recently while I waited on my new debit card!

As a tap and payer, I would love to use it on my Lumia...

EDIT: I looked this up and do not see anything about using NFC on a Lumia for payment.
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/nfc-phones/
Thanks for the info. When I said that ISIS only works in theory at this point, I meant on WP. I know that Android users have been using it for awhile now. But Google took care of the carriers blocking NFC payments in KitKat with some clever coding. I'm hoping WP gets tap + pay working soon. They have NFC & they have a Wallet. The components are there.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. When I said that ISIS only works in theory at this point, I meant on WP. I know that Android users have been using it for awhile now. But Google took care of the carriers blocking NFC payments in KitKat with some clever coding. I'm hoping WP gets tap + pay working soon. They have NFC & they have a Wallet. The components are there.

I was following you. Of course you need the ISIS app which is only available on android right now...the story of WP's life...

gomab357

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I was on the fence between the two. I opted for the 925 because they are going so cheap right now ($230 at ShopHQ with no shipping or tax)...roughly $155 cheaper than the red Nexus 5 I was also eyeing with shipping and tax ($385).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb