Let's discuss internet sharing workarounds (T-mobile US secific)

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For those of us with unlimited data plans, and those especially lucky to have the $5.99 truly unlimited tzones, there current isn't a way to get internet sharing to work.

Flashing generic firmware seems to be the logical step, but after testing that theory, myself along with a handful of other users were still greeted by the up sell dialog.

I'd like to use this thread to discuss possible theories as to why this is still blocked, despite removing all the T-Mobile branding from the device. Could it be the sim card itself having some kind of built in tether check? My device is still locked, could it be that? I'm not sure about the other users' devices being locked or not.

Lastly, I came across threads where some users had legitimate tethering plans on their account, but still got the upsell page until changing apn settings or some other setting adjustments. This is what leads me to believe it may be a sim issue.

What other ideas/theories do you guys have?

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
seriously considering switching over to the android side for my next gen upgrade.

there's just not enough third party development on this plateform, and i'm a die hard tinkerer :(

with xbox music and auto skydrive syncing available to android, it's so tempting to ditch wphone.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking to switch platform too. Even i would trade my super-duper camera (L1020) for degree of freedom. I used to have Nexus 4 that i've traded to get the L1020. I'm not attached to Google services; i'm compiling the OS from source and adding few tweaks of my own and no gapps.zip (Google Apps). I have no need of app store. All i need is voice, sms, email and camera.

pottyvick

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been on android recently (Nexus 4, Galaxy s3, Galaxy S4) I can say it is fun to tinker with them, however it gets tiring after a while. At least for me, it was never perfect, i always had to keep messing with the system. The apps on Windows phone may not be at android/ios quantity levels but it has all the apps i need.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking to switch platform too. Even i would trade my super-duper camera (L1020) for degree of freedom. I used to have Nexus 4 that i've traded to get the L1020. I'm not attached to Google services; i'm compiling the OS from source and adding few tweaks of my own and no gapps.zip (Google Apps). I have no need of app store. All i need is voice, sms, email and camera.

if the rumors about that new galaxy s5 being in an all metal enclosure are true, it's going to take a lot to get me to stay with MSFT

i don't think the 1020's camera will be matched or topped any time soon, but i see no reason why the next gen phones won't have something as good as the 925, which is more than sufficient for my needs.

all i really want is some 3rd party hacking for fun (which means i'll have all features unlocked, especially tethering), a halfway decent camera, and enough processing power that the browser can render pages fast enough to enjoy the speed difference between h+ and LTE.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For those of us with unlimited data plans, and those especially lucky to have the $5.99 truly unlimited tzones, there current isn't a way to get internet sharing to work.

What other ideas/theories do you guys have?
For me, on my 810, tethering worked when I installed a language for keyboard. Am not sure what was the exact reason, but if you go to settings and then install any extra language apart from English, then if you go to share Internet setting, it wont show any error !! This worked on my wife's 820 as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For me, on my 810, tethering worked when I installed a language for keyboard. Am not sure what was the exact reason, but if you go to settings and then install any extra language apart from English, then if you go to share Internet setting, it wont show any error !! This worked on my wife's 820 as well.

That trick worked for me too on my AT&T 520. I flashed an unbranded ROM, but internet sharing was still restricted until I installed another keyboard. I have no clue why it works, but it does!

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

That trick worked for me too on my AT&T 520. I flashed an unbranded ROM, but internet sharing was still restricted until I installed another keyboard. I have no clue why it works, but it does!

isn't this more of a "fix" than a "trick" in that it's meant for people who already have tethering subscriptions to actually use them when a firmware switch erroneously disables it?

my concern is enabling internet sharing (tethering) without an actual tethering plan

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
yep, did some more research. the spanish keyboard thing is just to fix the "no connection" error, not the carrier upsell message.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
yep, did some more research. the spanish keyboard thing is just to fix the "no connection" error, not the carrier upsell message.

IIRC correctly I was getting the carrier message after flashing the unbranded CV ROM. I installed the Spanish keyboard and it fixed it. I have Net10 AT&T service on the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro