Has anybody managed to flash ATT's Lumia 925 with a different firmware

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I have ATT L1020 and friend of mine has ATT L925. We tried to flash firmwares on our devices, but we are coming up short. This is the error message we get (the same for L1020 and L925):

0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

Followed different tutorials but could not escape this error. I guess, the obvious question is, has anybody with ATT L925/L1020 succeeded with flashing firmware other than the one the devices came with?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Tether and data sense

I can't speak to tether but Data Sense is a big feature I want and I'm very upset how ATT stripped it out. I shouldn't have to use a different ROM, they shouldn't be allowed to take any features out.

I am leaving ATT as soon as my contract is over with and will explain to them why when I do make the switch. Note that they don't tell us why but clearly they do it for unethical reasons.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
No progress so far, it seems like Nokia locked up all of the newer version of NCS. Similar to ATT Lumia 920 situation, where folks that have flashed Rogers Amber rom can't flash back to the stock ATT rom, nor Rogers pre-Portico rom. There is one reference of successful flash back to ATT rom on L920 with older version of NCS, but the person didn't state which one nor how he/she did it. Even if there is a way of flashing rom on ATT L925, then there might not be a way flash back to the stock ATT rom. Scary move Microsoft/Nokia ...

Last edited:

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
which version of product support tool (in NCS) are you using?

mine is 2013.13.4.4
That is the one i'm using. It doesn't have a support for RM-893 nor RM-892 but i've tried using the RM-821 profile. Interesting observation is that when that window pops up telling me to do Power + VolDn button combination and wait for vibration, when i connect the phone i get black screen with big white exclamation instead of "Nokia". On this version of NCS i do not get any error message nor is telling me that i'm about to flash different model number, but that window with "Power + VolDn then vibration" keeps popping up, i keep pressing retry, and finally the phone restart itself.

On the newer versions of NCS (the ones that have support for RM-893 and RM-892) i get a warning that i'm about to flash different product's rom, and that famous error message.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Exclamation point is certainly odd.

I usually plug the phone in at the pop up screen, power it down, power it back up with vol d. + pwr, wait for the short vib, and immediately click retry.

The nokia logo shows up in the middle of the screen, but then goes black and pops back up toward the top of the screen. Never an exclamation point

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
if it's any consolation, while you may get data sense, tethering probably still won't work.

there must be some check built into every firmware that looks at the kind of sim card inserted. even with generic firmware and euro branded firmwares i get a t-mobile upsell pop-up when i try to enable internet sharing.

hell, even when i disconnect from a cellular network and put in an invalid APN, t-mobile upsell page still somehow pops up when i try to enable internet sharing.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm more interested to get data sense than tether. But at this point we give up.

In different thread I made comment that it appears Microsoft is developing global tether block. It is closed source OS and I can't tell for sure what is going on lower level, so this observation can be accepted as a speculation. So my thought is that they are developing global tether block to avoid change requests in the OS by every local carrier. With this global tether block, before compile the OS, all they have to do is change/update a config file with carrier info (ie given carrier ask them to enable the block/monitor) and compile it.

enable_ATT_USA_tether_check=1
enable_T-Mobile_USA_tether_check=1

With something like this, no matter where you buy the phone, if you insert ATT sim card the OS will check if you have valid tether plan.

Before L925 and L1020 showed up on the market I could only see inconsistency in regard to tether which led me to believe that the carriers them self were trying to modify the OS in order to control tether.

Now with L925 and what you are experiencing now, I think global tether block developed by Microsoft could be reality. Of course, they gotta fix a lot of bugs (ie Spanish keyboard for example) before is really working.

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an older thread but I'm still chiming in just in case someone stumbles on to it. I had a problem with my T-Mobile 925 a while back. It BSOD'd on me and then got stuck with no bootloader. I had insurance on it so obviously I asked for a replacement. So while I was waiting for a replacement, I played around with NCS for the first time. I was successful in reflashing my device back to original T-Mobile firmware with no issues after. After I got my replacement device, I figured, what the heck, why not play around with it while I still have it. I installed an RM-892 ROM successfully. I didn't really test much of the features, all I was looking for was the LTE option. It didn't have it so I tried to reflash it this time using an RM-893 Product code from MetroPCS. I can't remember now exactly what error code it was but it was kinda like an error which says it is not compatible. Finally, I was able to figure out a step that worked everytime:

First, get NCS ready for flashing with the ROM you want to put in.
Second, try if it lets you go through with it. If you get error, continue on.
Third, while connected, perform a master reset. Volume Down + Power, and when you get the exclamation point, Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down.
It will reset. Immediately try to flash it with NCS. It should work now. I've done it this way three times. I'd love to hear if people are successful with this instructions. Good luck! And btw, I returned that device back to T-Mobile with a MetroPCS ROM. :D

BigFuzzyArchon

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
if somebody flashes ATT 925 please let us know how you did it. I would like mine unbranded and still keep LTE.

edit:

just flashed my AT&T 925 using above method and using my own product code to get latest AT&T firmware Black.

it wasn't working at first, i did a combination of the vol up/down/power/down while it was booting and pressing retry in NCS and it finally began to flash

If I get balsy enough I will attempt to flash a euro 892 code on my 893. Maybe get data sense?

Last edited:

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
if somebody flashes ATT 925 please let us know how you did it. I would like mine unbranded and still keep LTE.

edit:

just flashed my AT&T 925 using above method and using my own product code to get latest AT&T firmware Black.

it wasn't working at first, i did a combination of the vol up/down/power/down while it was booting and pressing retry in NCS and it finally began to flash

If I get balsy enough I will attempt to flash a euro 892 code on my 893. Maybe get data sense?

Hey thanks for confirming the method I posted above. I just happen to figure that out while trying to flash my previously bricked phone. Glad it worked out for you. How's the black update?

BigFuzzyArchon

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
black seems good, i was on dev preview gdr3 so not really anything new. i would say that it feels a bit snappier but maybe because of the refresh?

edit:

just noticed internet sharing now works! this is pretty sweet! Kinda a big deal that it works now.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
black seems good, i was on dev preview gdr3 so not really anything new. i would say that it feels a bit snappier but maybe because of the refresh?

edit:

just noticed internet sharing now works! this is pretty sweet! Kinda a big deal that it works now.
OK, i'm confused little bit ... So you have ATT L925 and you have successfully flashed different product code firmware than the ATT's? Like for example flashed T-Mobile's rom onto your ATT Lumia 925?

The way i understood your comment was like you have flashed rom with the same product code as your L925 but newer and got Nokia Black that way?

It was always possible to flash ATT's L925 with the same product code rom, but for example, if you wanted to flash T-Mobile's USA product code rom onto ATT L925 was not possible (or rom from any other carrier for that matter)

Kez0

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
OK, i'm confused little bit ... So you have ATT L925 and you have successfully flashed different product code firmware than the ATT's? Like for example flashed T-Mobile's rom onto your ATT Lumia 925?

The way i understood your comment was like you have flashed rom with the same product code as your L925 but newer and got Nokia Black that way?

It was always possible to flash ATT's L925 with the same product code rom, but for example, if you wanted to flash T-Mobile's USA product code rom onto ATT L925 was not possible (or rom from any other carrier for that matter)

Flash with another Fw versi?n (different product code) is possible, the only care that could consider is the Rm versi?n, because sometime exists differences on Hw and could brick your phone if you use a fw for a different rm of your Phone.

I recently change fw and used a fw for a different product code, now its working :)

To do that use ncs, use product support tool for store. Power of your Phone, select recovery option on ncs, select the fw, presas start and quickly connect the Phone while pressing vol- and power, after vibrate release the buttons, a warning appear, Just press contin?e. :)

Sorry, my English is bad... Am from chile :)

Regards

Sent from my RM-893_lta_lta_204 using Tapatalk

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Flash with another Fw versi?n (different product code) is possible, the only care that could consider is the Rm versi?n, because sometime exists differences on Hw and could brick your phone if you use a fw for a different rm of your Phone.
I recently change fw and used a fw for a different product code, now its working :)
To do that use ncs, use product support tool for store. Power of your Phone, select recovery option on ncs, select the fw, presas start and quickly connect the Phone while pressing vol- and power, after vibrate release the buttons, a warning appear, Just press contin?e. :)
Sorry, my English is bad... Am from chile :)
Regards
Sent from my RM-893_lta_lta_204 using Tapatalk
Is your Nokia L925 from AT&T or you bought it in Chile?
Thanks

Last edited:

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an older thread but I'm still chiming in just in case someone stumbles on to it. I had a problem with my T-Mobile 925 a while back. It BSOD'd on me and then got stuck with no bootloader. I had insurance on it so obviously I asked for a replacement. So while I was waiting for a replacement, I played around with NCS for the first time. I was successful in reflashing my device back to original T-Mobile firmware with no issues after. After I got my replacement device, I figured, what the heck, why not play around with it while I still have it. I installed an RM-892 ROM successfully. I didn't really test much of the features, all I was looking for was the LTE option. It didn't have it so I tried to reflash it this time using an RM-893 Product code from MetroPCS. I can't remember now exactly what error code it was but it was kinda like an error which says it is not compatible. Finally, I was able to figure out a step that worked everytime:

First, get NCS ready for flashing with the ROM you want to put in.
Second, try if it lets you go through with it. If you get error, continue on.
Third, while connected, perform a master reset. Volume Down + Power, and when you get the exclamation point, Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down.
It will reset. Immediately try to flash it with NCS. It should work now. I've done it this way three times. I'd love to hear if people are successful with this instructions. Good luck! And btw, I returned that device back to T-Mobile with a MetroPCS ROM. :D
I just tried to flash different product code ROM on my ATT L925. I'm still getting the same error as above (got to the exclamation point, punched the combination and still got the error 0xFA001304; i've tried several times). T-Mobile's USA L925 was always flash-able, never blocked in NCS, that is why you could flash 892 ROM on it. ATT's L925 is so far the one we can't flash with different product code ROM, for example, like this one "059S6H3 RM-893 VAR LTA AV BLACK". ATT's L925 was always allowed to get flashed without changing the product code (or staying within ATT's L925 product code family).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon