Lumia 925 with Mic problems - WP8 software issue

nemov888

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone got any further info about this?

I had this issue, but had to send my phone to Nokia for a repair. (I tried factory reset, and software update to Lumia Black, but neither solved the issue). They replaced something....and now it is fixed. Pain in the neck but it solved it...

fourpoint5toes

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi Nate,

I'm also suffering from similar issue with my Lumia 925. Have tried both a soft & hard reset. Neither fixed the issue. I'm guessing I need mine replaced/repaired as well.
I'm tempted to update with Windows Phone 8.1 to see if it fixes the issue (if it is a software issue), but I'm thinking it would be best if I returned the phone with Windows 8.0 on it to avoid complications.

Wondering if you went through Nokia channels for your replacement/repair or if you went back to your cellular provider. I'm with Tmobile.
Also how long were you phone-less ? Did they provide a temporary replacement?

Thanks,
Arash

I had this issue, but had to send my phone to Nokia for a repair. (I tried factory reset, and software update to Lumia Black, but neither solved the issue). They replaced something....and now it is fixed. Pain in the neck but it solved it...

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey there, you are not alone.

I regret so much updating to 8.1 I never have this problem before but now after upgrading to wp 8.1 dev Preview. I have this problem.

I am not sure if Nokia care or Vondafone will fix it for me because it's Dev Preview... holly shxttttt..... I need the phone in one month because I plan to record a concert.. oh my god!

Hi Nate,

I'm also suffering from similar issue with my Lumia 925. Have tried both a soft & hard reset. Neither fixed the issue. I'm guessing I need mine replaced/repaired as well.
I'm tempted to update with Windows Phone 8.1 to see if it fixes the issue (if it is a software issue), but I'm thinking it would be best if I returned the phone with Windows 8.0 on it to avoid complications.

Wondering if you went through Nokia channels for your replacement/repair or if you went back to your cellular provider. I'm with Tmobile.
Also how long were you phone-less ? Did they provide a temporary replacement?

Thanks,
Arash

fourpoint5toes

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Fortunately or perhaps unfortunately I'm having this issue even before upgrading to WP 8.1 Dev preview.

I don't know when I first experienced it since I rarely use speaker phone, but it was likely around the time I upgraded to GD3/Black. A small part of me was hoping it would get resolved with the WP 8.1 update, but after seeing the issues others are having I don't think this will be the case.

Hopefully MS will release an update to 8.1 to address your issue soon.

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but after searching for many many forums on exactly the same problem. I have not seen any ONE example that the problem can be solved by any "software" means. NONE!

Those who got this fixed simply send the phone back to Nokia. I am gonna contact Nokia tomorrow or Vondafone.

Fortunately or perhaps unfortunately I'm having this issue even before upgrading to WP 8.1 Dev preview.

I don't know when I first experienced it since I rarely use speaker phone, but it was likely around the time I upgraded to GD3/Black. A small part of me was hoping it would get resolved with the WP 8.1 update, but after seeing the issues others are having I don't think this will be the case.

Hopefully MS will release an update to 8.1 to address your issue soon.

Reui

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I soft resetted my phone multiple times and there was one time that the mic became usable again but when I plugged my earphones it goes back to the issue.
this happened after I updated mine to 8.1 I am doing factory setting now hoping it would go away.

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
THanks for the update, please let us know if it worked for you later. FInger crossed.

My update: I contacted Nokia Care and they suggest me to use Nokia Recovery tool to revert back to Lumia Black, but still the microphone is not working. They asked me to ask for a replacement or send to Nokia Care.

FYI, there is another guy on the forum who has tried Hard Reset but still failed. I hope your case is different, in fact, I have not heard of any example so far that such problem can be fixed by any "software" means.

I soft resetted my phone multiple times and there was one time that the mic became usable again but when I plugged my earphones it goes back to the issue.
this happened after I updated mine to 8.1 I am doing factory setting now hoping it would go away.

Reui

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Did you plug your earphones when that happened? I'm suspecting the phone is just acting like the earphones are still plugged. The hard reset didn't work btw

Update: Okay, I'm confirming that plugging in the earphones and then plugging it out immediately will enable to microphones. A very ugly way to fix tho

Last edited:

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Can you elaborate a bit more on the solution? It didn't work for me. when exactly do you plug and unplug?

Did you plug your earphones when that happened? I'm suspecting the phone is just acting like the earphones are still plugged. The hard reset didn't work btw

Update: Okay, I'm confirming that plugging in the earphones and then plugging it out immediately will enable to microphones. A very ugly way to fix tho

lewisalvarez

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I also appear to be having mic problems. I can make a call just fine, but I tried using the assist and it doesn't pick up my voice.
I then tried using my headphones and then it works. It may also be that my video recorder no longer picks up sound either. (that's a problem!)
Has anyone found a solution?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
My 1020 had the same issues starting with GDR3 preview. I just sent it back to Nokia and it was a hardware problem they needed to fix. Working great now. Unfortunately, I don't think you have any other recourse.

jeff.r.gnome

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I don't know the root cause for ALL of your phones, but for many phones this is a dust issue. I just moved to a really dry dusty city, and I had a bunch of dust built up in the mic (both the bottom main speaker mic and he noise canceling mic on top of the phone). Here were my symptoms:

- In a call, friends could not hear me speaking.
- If I switched to speaker during the call, they could hear me fine.
- If I used another app (like a video recording app), the audio recorded just fine.

So, in summary, this was only a problem while not in speaker mode and in a call.

I followed the suggestion here:
Cant hear me? In Call Mic (Solution) - xda-developers

I made the five holes on the top of my phone for the noise canceling mic a little bigger. I also took the phone apart and blew air all around the top and bottom microphones. When I put it back together, everything worked! I really hope this helps someone. I have a feeling living in a dusty place will require I mess with this once in a while.

Also, FYI, there was no noticeable dust build up on either mic, but following these steps still fixed the issue.

fourpoint5toes

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
So after several attempts at soft & hard resets with no luck, I finally sent my 925 to nokia for repair. About 10 days later my phone arrived and the microphone issue seems to have been resolved.

I picked up a $70 lumia 521 at the ms store to use while my 925 was being repaired. Which makes for a surprisingly good backup phone. Will definitely miss the sd card slot.

davidclt

May 18, 2014
Visit site

Confirming this addressed my issue with the mic working for Cortana and the speakerphone. This tells me there is some software/firmware issue with the phone sensing the disconnect of a headset. Odd.

fivehavefallen

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I think I finally understand this issue. It seams to be a issue in the headphone jack. I plugged my headphones in, spun the plug inside the jack and then twisted it out thinking that perhaps a sliver of metal was crossing a border inside the jack. I don't know if that conclusion is correct but after a couple of attempts I got the mic back. But when i plugged in again and removed it I lost the mic again. So... I guess if I want the mic to function I'll have to avoid plugging in headphones. Personally that is a problem. I guess ill have to switch to Bluetooth headphones and never plug anything in again to the headphone jack.

Update: Yeah I'm pretty sure that resolved the issue and I bet that everyone who has had this issue is a heavy plug-in headphone user.

Last edited:

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I think I finally understand this issue. It seams to be a issue in the headphone jack. I plugged my headphones in, spun the plug inside the jack and then twisted it out thinking that perhaps a sliver of metal was crossing a border inside the jack. I don't know if that conclusion is correct but after a couple of attempts I got the mic back. But when i plugged in again and removed it I lost the mic again. So... I guess if I want the mic to function I'll have to avoid plugging in headphones. Personally that is a problem. I guess ill have to switch to Bluetooth headphones and never plug anything in again to the headphone jack.

Update: Yeah I'm pretty sure that resolved the issue and I bet that everyone who has had this issue is a heavy plug-in headphone user.

I got my microphone to work by tilting the plug for the headphones when it is halfway plugged in. I haven't been able to get it to work without the headphones though (sorry for the bad quality, I took the picture on my Surface RT).
SURFACE-PC - WIN_20140610_204622.JPG

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Blerg, I just joined the club. This latest update on the developer preview killed my mic.

(Not a heavy headphones user. At most I have plugged and unplugged that jack 10 times ever)

Reui

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping that the official 8.1 update would fix this. The voice recording apps installed on my phone are all useless now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786