Noob question regarding update to WP8.1

BK1112

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have just switched to WP, after having Android for one year and iOS for 4 years before that. I bought a contract free 925 and I am currently trying to put all pieces together, even though I find it a bit more complicated (or different) than the previous OSs I have used.

For starters, why are there some applications available only for US (e.g. eBay) but not Europe for example? And why does the LinkedIn application su*k comparet to droid/ios versions?!

And one more question I have is regarding the firmware or OS update - according to the "about" function in Settings, my phone is running WP 8.0.1.. How can I update it to 8.1? The only function I have found is the one in settings, check for updates.. but that one tells me that my phone is up to date.

All in all, I am not yet convinced that I have made the right decision, but I will give the phone another week or so.. then I will probably burn some more cash on a new 5s or Nexus5 if I don't get the Nokia fully optimized.

See you around!

vishu_lumia

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
hi welcome to WP Community
as for your Question WP 8.1 is not released yet and will be available by late Summer 2014
GDR3 is Being Roll out at Present for Non lumia Devices and Hofefully By December for Lumia Series or January
Windows 8.1 is released but not Windows Phone 8.1
play along with your Phone you will like it :smile::smile:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You can change the location of your phone in the settings to US in order to pick up apps that aren't available in the UK. As for some apps being not as good as android/ios versions that's the way it is unfortunately until WP gets more marketshare devs wont spend as much time on the apps - there are however numerous apps that are fully optimised for WP8 and are better than the other OS counterparts.

If your struggling with setting up your phone or for little tips and tricks have a search through the forum there are a few threads offering help.

Gerrit Morisse

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
regarding about the apps availability u can switch regions to get apps you want which is better than android which locks it,about the linkedin app idk about it bec i havent used it but still the apps in the windows store is growing just have patience :)

impratick

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
8.1 didnt released yet so, when it releases in your country it gives option to install!!

Sent from my L520(RM-914_im_india_269)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
eBay is available in Europe including UK. In UK in fact there are 2 eBay apps, one in Nokia collection and one in store. If it does look like a bait, don't bite on it guys!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs