swapping 16gb storage for 32gb???

Mr_Drewskie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So here's an odd question for the more technical savy. How hard would it be to swap out the internal 16gb storage for a 32gb? What does the storage look like in the phone?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Very very difficult. These things are connected with very small soldering and would be difficult to replace with your mammalian hands.

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
i don't know if this is valid for WP8.. but WP7 internal memory is always a microSD, this because of microsoft requirement for produce smartphone with WP7.
let's SUPPOSE that WP8 has microSD too for internal memory:
you must open your phone and replace 16gb microSD with a 32gb one. This takes 2 major problems:
1) hardware level problem: i don't think the micro sd will be in a "easy to remove" slot, you probably you will need to do some "soldering work" in a very little space, not so easy!
2) software level problem: even if you just copy the old 16gb content into a 32gb you can't be 100% this will work. Contens are totally crypted and MAYBE (i'm supposing all this) enlarge the main partition to 32gb needs to be decrypted when its 16gb large and then recrypted when its 32gb. I can't be 100% sure of this but it can happen. MAYBE the software will check even the hardware info of the micro sd and work only on certified ones, so this can be another problem

well, this is not easy, i doubt anyone will ever do this, but you can try to google it and hope in some result inside XDA community :)

agolding

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
only the hd2, mozart and trophy has micro sd on wp7. All other phones including WP8 phones use eMMC chips soldered directly to the board, you would need a reworking station to do it, far far cheaper to just buy the 32gb version.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Just a note, but I actually did a manual upgrade of my HTC arrive to 32gb when I had it. Had to open the phone and the memory wasnt soldered, just had to replace the chip in the slot and reformat the phone. Worked easily and I posted my tutorial on wpcentral.

Mr_Drewskie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok so,here's another question. If I were to buy a,32gb and if I'm correct they're only sold in Europe... Would changing the firmware to a us/canadian one open up the radio to,north American frequencies or is the radios in these phones hardware???

agolding

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Just a note, but I actually did a manual upgrade of my HTC arrive to 32gb when I had it. Had to open the phone and the memory wasnt soldered, just had to replace the chip in the slot and reformat the phone. Worked easily and I posted my tutorial on wpcentral.

forgot about the arrive!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos