Tough decision. L925 vs L920

nagatofm

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I think you're all really tired of such threads, but I'd like to create another one.
Let me, please, tell you my story.
Previously I've used Android for two years, but my user experience was awful because I've chosen two awful devices. They were both above-average in performance and overpriced. So some days ago I've returned my Galaxy S Advance and now trying to make a decision about what device to buy. This time I can't afford myself to choose a budget-model to change it a year later, I want a phone that will last at least two years. I ended up with choosing between L920 and L925.
I want to state that camera plays a big role here, because I'd like to make as many photos as I can -- my previous phones were making awful images and I had to ignore all these beautiful shots I could make, especially at night. Also I don't really like L920 weight -- it's ok and feels good until you're using the phone in your bed (reading news or a book for example) and I love serfing some web before I go to sleep. But in my country L920 is two times cheaper than L925, also I like listening to music and my "minimum" will take up to 9GB of memory. Usually I carry about 12GB of music with me. Talking about apps, I don't think that I'd install anything except social clients and some matrix calculator/other calculation stuff (I'm a student so it's a must) but I don't think it will take a lot of internal memory. Also I'm in doubt about Amoled screen that L925 uses -- these displays like to burn-out really fast, my last phone is now being returned because of Amoled artifacts/burn out, and I have used it only for 7 months now. On the other hand, L925 looks pretty solid, while L920 users said that they suffer from creaking because of the device's plastic back, also some of them reported dust gather under the screen.

TL;DR, the whole image looks like
Lumia 925:
  1. Comfortable weight
  2. Looks really expensive
  3. Good night camera shots
  4. Newer device
Lumia 920:
  1. Twice more internal memory
  2. Twice less the price
  3. IPS will last longer.
And QUESTIONABLE:
  1. What device's camera performs better during the day? All the reviews state that after Amber update L920 is taking BETTER (!) photos than L925 at daytime.
  2. Do I really need 32GB of storage? I haven't used WP yet so I don't know how much memory will be available after I install all my apps.
  3. Does L920 really have these creak and dust issues? Dust has killed my first android phone's touch panel twice.
  4. Has anyone faced Amoled burn-out on L925?
  5. Will L920 be updated as long as L925? Or will there be (or IS THERE) any way to install updates directly from MS/install updates on discontinued devices(of there are any)?
Thanks for reading. I'd really appreciate someone answer my question because it's a REALLY tough decision for me.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I'm the first one who voted... I went with the 920. It may be older than the 925, but it's got twice the storage and is a wonderful phone. The camera rocks!

Reui

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I store 16-20 gb of files including the sys files,apps,1 country map, and couple of games in GB's. Others are pictures and videos. So you must really reconsider if you'll be using more than 10-12 GB of files.
The weight difference is very significant also, I got bothered when I got hold of the 925 after I bought my 920. The 925 is much comfortable to hold in 1 hand.
Dust is accumulating on the ear phone hole but not really noticeable I'm not very sure if it 925 will have the same issue.
There is also issue with unusual heating when using extensive apps.
Pictures taken are beautiful both in night and day, 925 would be much better probably because of the added six lens but you would not be wrong with either of the two.
Updates/Support were guaranteed by MSFT until 2015 for both devices

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 925 can be had with 32GB of storage, just get an unlocked Vodaphone Germany or Vodaphone UK version. (That's what I did just a few weeks ago.) Also, why not consider the 1520, the 1020, or the 929 (Verizon LTE phones are sold unlocked)? Again in the case of at least the 1520 and the 1020, I would never buy the AT&T version... I'd get the 1020 w/64GBs of storage for sale in Germany, Brazil, or perhaps the UK, and any version of the 1520 that comes with 32GBs or more and wireless charging built-in.

BACH999

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 925 can be had with 32GB of storage, just get an unlocked Vodaphone Germany or Vodaphone UK version. (That's what I did just a few weeks ago.) Also, why not consider the 1520, the 1020, or the 929 (Verizon LTE phones are sold unlocked)? Again in the case of at least the 1520 and the 1020, I would never buy the AT&T version... I'd get the 1020 w/64GBs of storage for sale in Germany, Brazil, or perhaps the UK, and any version of the 1520 that comes with 32GBs or more and wireless charging built-in.
wow, impressive. Are u from Mars? L925 is 16Gb, even global version. And Nokia doesnt have any phone above 32Gb.

nagatofm

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
That's because I live in Belarus. This small country has a big mess with its economy so our Hi-Tech market is always at least half-year outdated and overpriced. For example, L920 costs ~420$ here and L925 is almost 800$. The reason why I'm not able to buy 32GB version is that it's not sold officially, all I can do is buy it on eBay/similiar services and pay 30% taxes and ~40$ for shipping or buy it from some 3rd party resellers and get a "grey" phone without warranty originally made for some another country. So I have to buy it from my carrier that overprice both phones even higher because I buy it with installment plan.
P.S.: Sorry for my English BTW.

Obaydok

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Okay let me say what you dont expect to hear!
here in Iran, I can buy a 920 for just 230$ and 925 is 390$ cost!
Which one would u suggest?

Onesto98

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay let me say what you dont expect to hear!
here in Iran, I can buy a 920 for just 230$ and 925 is 390$ cost!
Which one would u suggest?
bro can u tell me which seller priced it 390$ ( or 230$ l920) ? minimum price i found is 1.290mRls, which mean more than 430&.
and i have exact issue, not between 920 & 925. between 925 and nokias next 9xx flagship, its quietly expensive so im a little afraid.

i think these two reviews are most helpful reviews of l925 & l920 Review Nokia Lumia 925 Smartphone - NotebookCheck.net Reviews vReview Nokia Lumia 920 Smartphone - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

p.s. Im from Tehran, nice to see u here!!!

nagatofm

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Okey, I ended with buying white L920. Pretty much happy with it. Never thought 32gb of storage is such a great power :)

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
925: Slightly better camera, Thinner & lighter, AMOLED(If you prefer it)
920: 32GB of storage compared to 925' 16GB, IPS LCD(if you prefer it), Wireless Charging built in, and it is less expensive.

Internal storage is a huge deal breaker for me. Right now, my 920 consumed 12gb out of 32gb storage. If I have 925 then the 16gb storage will be a problem.
I prefer IPS LCD over AMOLED. Yes AMOLED has deep blacks and more power efficient, but the lifespan and burn out are the problems.
920 heavy? No, you are just weak.
Camera? 925 is "slightly" better.
In our country 920 costs $286 while 925 costs $398 :/

Elton Jothi

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
i voted for 920 for its massive 32 gigs of memory... i have only 2 gb left off my 32 gb 920....
the camera of 920 is great on the Portico Update, on amber it sucks.. hope it will be good on black....
920 also has inbuilt NFC..
you dont have to worry about the weight.. you'll be totally used to it ...
The design of 920 is a lil unique amongst the other lumia's imo and you have a lot of color options...

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
i voted for 920 for its massive 32 gigs of memory... i have only 2 gb left off my 32 gb 920....
the camera of 920 is great on the Portico Update, on amber it sucks.. hope it will be good on black....
920 also has inbuilt NFC..
you dont have to worry about the weight.. you'll be totally used to it ...
The design of 920 is a lil unique amongst the other lumia's imo and you have a lot of color options...

The photos are yellowish and blurry on Amber. I hope Black Update will fix this and will give us more natural pictures. Off topic, when are we going to get black update?

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
[*]What device's camera performs better during the day? All the reviews state that after Amber update L920 is taking BETTER (!) photos than L925 at daytime.
[*]Do I really need 32GB of storage? I haven't used WP yet so I don't know how much memory will be available after I install all my apps.
[*]Does L920 really have these creak and dust issues? Dust has killed my first android phone's touch panel twice.
[*]Has anyone faced Amoled burn-out on L925?
[*]Will L920 be updated as long as L925? Or will there be (or IS THERE) any way to install updates directly from MS/install updates on discontinued devices(of there are any)?
[/LIST]

Thanks for reading. I'd really appreciate someone answer my question because it's a REALLY tough decision for me.

1- My father have a Lumia 920 and I have a Lumia 925. 925 is better at day photos, but at night with flash ON, Lumia 920 is better. Lumia 925 tends to green in this situation, very bad thing. Hope Black Update bring back better night photos.

2- Maybe yes. I have 7GB free on my 925 for now. But that depends, is very personal.

3- I don't know nothing about that.

4- Have no problem with Amoled. Way better than Lumia 920 LCD IPS. My father is about to buy a Lumia 925 only for that. HUGE difference. HUGE. Better colours, better contrast, better black, ...

Lumia 920 is only for those who want save some money or need a twice of internal memmory.

lukeap69

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hold them side by side if you can and decide which one you like better. I had to choose between the two not too long ago and decided to go with 925 due to the size and weight alone.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the L925 because of the form factor. Otherwise, they're very similar, but I think that the L925 has an edge of the 920 because of the AMOLED pannel, making some of the features better on battery life, and better on battery life in general. I had an HTC 8x with 16gb and never had any problems with storage, but I also didn't load my phone up with a huge amount of music, photos, etc.

RusB

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Had the 920 and made the switch to 925. Can say without question the 925 feels a better device in every way. Personnel preference ofcourse

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb