Tethering w/an international L925 on the AT&T MediaNet/non-Smartphone data plan?

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I just moved back to Windows Phone with an amazing international 32GB L925 and want to stay with WP. However I have one big issue, tethering. I have not been able to enable tethering on the AT&T network.

I have been able to do this with my prior Android Sony Xperia SL, and my prior Windows Phone 7 device via either ROM flashing or registry edits. I am pretty sure I am not the only one with this issue. Has anyone gotten this to work w/ATT's Media Net via a specific ROM, or any other tricks?

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply trooters, your last sentence was a bit unclear. Your were or were not able to find a fix for this issue? Thanks for the link, I've already tried most of those steps, but may try them again to see if I missed anything.

trooters

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
sorry, to clarify I fixed my own problem, but not yours. Your issue did seem similar enough to mine that I suggested giving my instructions a try. I have no idea if it will work for you but if you are out of options then why not...

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Trooters, just one more question about your original situation. Does your T-Mobile plan support tethering access, or are you using this method with a non-tether Tmobile data? FWIW, I'm using a non-tethering ATT plan.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey Trooters, I noticed that a potential issue at least for me, is that since I have a international L925, I can not adjust the APNs from the Cellular Settings page. I only have access from the Access Point Settings. Do any ROMs besides the ATT give access to the APNs from settings?

Asleeper2

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can tether with an international L925 on ATT medianet although data speeds will be 3G only. However, you may have to do a hard reset in order to get it working.....and whatever you do, after setting it up do NOT open "access point". If you do you will have to reset the phone once again.

@Sonus: You don't need to edit the APN or any other settings although you may have to do a hard reset first.

There is some good info in this thread about how to get tethering to work with ATT:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/236790-44.htm

anseio

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can tether with an international L925 on ATT medianet although data speeds will be 3G only. However, you may have to do a hard reset in order to get it working.....and whatever you do, after setting it up do NOT open "access point". If you do you will have to reset the phone once again.

@Sonus: You don't need to edit the APN or any other settings although you may have to do a hard reset first.

There is some good info in this thread about how to get tethering to work with ATT:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/236790-44.htm

I'm very curious about this, too. I'm fine with 3G speeds, if you mean HSPA/HSPA+. I've been wanting to get the L925 from Handtec, though I would love a 32GB version. I'm on the non-smartphone unltd data plan with my n9. I use MASSIVE amounts of data (USB tethering for gaming, and wifi for whatever). I know I can't USB tether w/ WP, but am ok with that. Can always swap out... no biggie. My big worry is that AT&T would know the IMEI, even of the int'l phone (since their reach is expanding) and I'd have wasted my time importing the device.

Now that I've got the money, I'm ready to make the plunge. I just like to find confirmation from more than one person that they have not been forced off of their MediaNet/non-smartphone data plan by using an international version. And then... relatively easy tethering setup, too.

Thanks for your post. I'm a step closer.

anseio

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I just moved back to Windows Phone with an amazing international 32GB L925 and want to stay with WP. However I have one big issue, tethering. I have not been able to enable tethering on the AT&T network.

I have been able to do this with my prior Android Sony Xperia SL, and my prior Windows Phone 7 device via either ROM flashing or registry edits. I am pretty sure I am not the only one with this issue. Has anyone gotten this to work w/ATT's Media Net via a specific ROM, or any other tricks?

Where did you get your 32GB version from?

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Where did you get your 32GB version from?
ebay.de

The 32GB L925's from Vodaphone Germany are all factory unlocked. Just don't get a Vodaphone UK version unless the original owner gets it unlocked for you.

(FYI Vodaphone DE and some Brazilian carrier also sell 64GB Lumia 1020s is space is very important to you)

anseio

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
ebay.de

The 32GB L925's from Vodaphone Germany are all factory unlocked. Just don't get a Vodaphone UK version unless the original owner gets it unlocked for you.

(FYI Vodaphone DE and some Brazilian carrier also sell 64GB Lumia 1020s is space is very important to you)

And for my next question:

It's great to know that AT&T does not recognize your device as a smartphone. With the help of this thread, have you been able to get tethering working?

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a 32GB 925 from Romania, factory unlocked. I have problems also with internet sharing on this phone using it on Rogers in Canada. I play around with this phone a lot with different roms from Nokia. If I use the default Romanian rom internet sharing works ok, but does not show me lte. I tried the tmobile rom which gives me lte speeds on rogers, but if you update to the latest access point from Nokia the internet sharing does not work. so if using the us rom on the euro device do not update to the latest access point as it will stop internet sharing on your device.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a 32GB 925 from Romania, factory unlocked. I have problems also with internet sharing on this phone using it on Rogers in Canada. I play around with this phone a lot with different roms from Nokia. If I use the default Romanian rom internet sharing works ok, but does not show me lte. I tried the tmobile rom which gives me lte speeds on rogers, but if you update to the latest access point from Nokia the internet sharing does not work. so if using the us rom on the euro device do not update to the latest access point as it will stop internet sharing on your device.

Excellent, I'll try a hard reset and hold off on updating the access point app. Just to get all the details, do you have a tethering plan on Rogers? I'm looking to get this to work without a tethering plan... Aka as it should since I didn't buy an ATT phone.

To Anseio, yes ATT doesn't recognize the phone as a smartphone automatically. I'm still working on tethering, I haven't had a chance to experiment as much as I would like bc of work, and bc the more i install apps and use the device! the less I want to hard reset unless I have a lot of time to place things back to the way I like.

anseio

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
You, sir, have made me very happy. I can survive w/o tethering, cuz I can swap my SIM to the n9 to do any gaming. I'll work on tethering once I get it, so i don't have to worry about a hard reset after really getting all set up.

One month... a few years ago, I replaced my movie library with HD quality movies. I did 800GB in one billing cycle!!!!

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Excellent, I'll try a hard reset and hold off on updating the access point app. Just to get all the details, do you have a tethering plan on Rogers? I'm looking to get this to work without a tethering plan... Aka as it should since I didn't buy an ATT phone.

To Anseio, yes ATT doesn't recognize the phone as a smartphone automatically. I'm still working on tethering, I haven't had a chance to experiment as much as I would like bc of work, and bc the more i install apps and use the device! the less I want to hard reset unless I have a lot of time to place things back to the way I like.

I just have a data plan with rogers, no extra data share plan.

anseio

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I decided that it's silly to swap phones just to USB tether. So, I got the OPPO Find 5 and installed Kit Kat on it. Will come back to WP if they ever get USB tethering enabled.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I decided that it's silly to swap phones just to USB tether. So, I got the OPPO Find 5 and installed Kit Kat on it. Will come back to WP if they ever get USB tethering enabled.

I got Internet Sharing working! Hard reset on Vodaphone DE ROM w/ original Access Point v.3.5.2.8. I then used the keyboard trick outlined at the bottom of this page, here: xda-developers - View Single Post - Lumia 920 Amber Update via Rogers Dev ROM

I had seen and attempted the keyboard hack before, but either the fact that directions weren't as explicit w/ the required steps or the fact that I had upgraded the Access Point app w/ prior attempts stopped it work working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium