Awaiting my 925!

Si Haworth

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
After finally selling my fixed Xperia Z (don't go there, piece of junk!), I've just bought a 925 with wireless charger.

I've got a 625 at the minute, but what improvements (apart from the screen) can I except to see and use? Is the battery life as good as the 625? I've had nearly two days of moderate use from the battery in the 625 which I was really impressed with.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
So, you're asking for a subjective opinion which differs from person to person?
Better specs often mean more battery-usage, when sporting the same 2000mAh battery. The camera sticks out of the back a little, so it won't lie even on a flat surface.
Other than that, given that the 925 is thinner and has an aluminium frame it feels more valuable in your hand than the 625 does. But it's also its weakness because the aluminium tends to get scratches easier than plastic (not saying it's a scratch-magnet but I for myself feel better with my 925 in a case).
Having only 16GB of storage with no possibility of using a microSD card pressures you in thinking about what you really need to have on your phone (like music, videos, games, apps,...).
On the pro side: you'll get to enjoy more apps which were not available on the 625 due to hardware restrictions (like Nokia Smart Cam because of only 512mb RAM and City Lens because the 625 lacks the compass).

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I was meaning more along the lines of quirks and improvements of the 925 over the 625, rather than a direct spec comparison.

Well, with the 925, you'll have a better screen and a much better camera. I don't have a 625 or have ever seen one in person, but I've seen the 925 and it's gorgeous and very lightweight. Very high end looking too with the aluminum around it. I think you'll be pleased. :wink:

Pratham Sarwate

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
battery on the 925 is bad. it doesn't even last a day on average use. i use 3G internet occasionally, rest times 2G connection for calls/sms. play games like angry birds, cut the rope for about an hour. moderate IM (whatsapp, hike) and facebook (from app), and a little web browsing. sometimes music via headset. it doesn't last longer than 7-8 hours. two things that drain the battery like hell are mobile data connection and (unfortunately) the screen. MS should seriously provide proper brightness control over screen. they are mostly too bright just for the sake of outdoor visibility, but drain battery and strain the user's eyes.
besides this, you get a longer Nokia Music subscription, HERE Drive+ (lifetime international navigation and offline maps) and more apps (due to 1GB RAM). and obviously a much more sexy-bodied phone!
i do have a tip though. avoid listening to Nokia Music songs over loudspeaker. their bitrate is too low and it causes speaker distortion at times, and prolonged usage can damage your speaker. my loudspeaker distorts a lot!
and ya, since it has a samsung made amoled screen, you'll see black patches when you use the phone in the dark. they totally kill the display's beauty, but you gotta live with it.
and also, there is a firmware bug that causes the display to flicker when you turn on battery saver brightness in display settings and put phone on battery saver mode.
other than these, there is also a bug that causes the network to freeze sometimes in poor connectivity zones. and you have to go in offline mode and back online to get the network working again.
the camera is a huge plus. amazing picture and video quality. screen is comfortable to use.
hope this was helpful. :)

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
@Pratham Sarwate:
Mobile data connection (especially in areas with bad reception!) and the screen are the main reasons for battery-drainage in all smartphones, not just the Lumia 925. Tough, I agree with you on the brightness-settings (low is still to bright imo). But I only experienced such short time on the first few days of usage. Now I easily get over the day with about 1h of music with headphones, 1 few calls on 4G, spending about 2h on facebook, writing in WhatsApp, browsing the Store and when I'm at home or some place where WiFi is available I switsch to WLAN and 2G. At the end of the day I have at least 25% of battery left.
Compared to my old Samsung Galaxy S I don't have to worry about the battery life at all (on my Nexus S it was even worse due to a bug where the battery would drain as soon as the screen was on).

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
battery on the 925 is bad. it doesn't even last a day on average use. i use 3G internet occasionally, rest times 2G connection for calls/sms. play games like angry birds, cut the rope for about an hour. moderate IM (whatsapp, hike) and facebook (from app), and a little web browsing. sometimes music via headset. it doesn't last longer than 7-8 hours. two things that drain the battery like hell are mobile data connection and (unfortunately) the screen. MS should seriously provide proper brightness control over screen. they are mostly too bright just for the sake of outdoor visibility, but drain battery and strain the user's eyes.
besides this, you get a longer Nokia Music subscription, HERE Drive+ (lifetime international navigation and offline maps) and more apps (due to 1GB RAM). and obviously a much more sexy-bodied phone!
i do have a tip though. avoid listening to Nokia Music songs over loudspeaker. their bitrate is too low and it causes speaker distortion at times, and prolonged usage can damage your speaker. my loudspeaker distorts a lot!
and ya, since it has a samsung made amoled screen, you'll see black patches when you use the phone in the dark. they totally kill the display's beauty, but you gotta live with it.
and also, there is a firmware bug that causes the display to flicker when you turn on battery saver brightness in display settings and put phone on battery saver mode.
other than these, there is also a bug that causes the network to freeze sometimes in poor connectivity zones. and you have to go in offline mode and back online to get the network working again.
the camera is a huge plus. amazing picture and video quality. screen is comfortable to use.
hope this was helpful. :)

7-8 hours is a nice battery backup on a hd screen with much faster processor , background task ,1 hour game ,music what else do you expect from a smartphone ? It's not a tablet .smartphones these days wont last more than 7-8 hours on depending of heavy or light usage. And 3G itself is a battery sucker. The signals are so strong that battery have to suffer.
Here is my pattern on my lumia 920 (both lumia 920 and 925 have same hd screen though 920 have a ips LCD , same processor and 1 gb ram )phone off from charger at morning 6am. Use runtastic to track my morning walk for 1 hour. Listen to music for 1 hour while going to office. Play some casual games for 30-40 mins. Some calls and whatsapp on 3G or wifi. Read articles on wpcentral. Some youtube videos. Again 1 hour of music via headphones and I still manage to get 25-30% at night.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
7-8 hours is a nice battery backup on a hd screen with much faster processor , background task ,1 hour game ,music what else do you expect from a smartphone ? It's not a tablet .smartphones these days wont last more than 7-8 hours on depending of heavy or light usage. And 3G itself is a battery sucker. The signals are so strong that battery have to suffer.

From what I read, it's that when on 3G, the phone has to search for signal more often because 3G doesn't have a range as wide as 2G. Same reason why the battery drains that much when you are in areas with bad reception -> phones toughts: "no signal? better search for it. still no signal? ok, I just keep searching till I run out of battery." ;-) (ok, it depends on the quality of your phones antenna and the providers network coverage too).

But as an example of light use: when I'm at home and only have WiFi and 2G on, the longest battery time I got was a bit over 2 days (with light SMS writing, WhatsApp conversations, downloading apps and 2-5 short calls). So it really depends on many diffetent factors, like what you understand by "heavy" of "light" usage, how the good network coverage in your area is, how bright your screen is set to/how often it's on or if there are any battery hogs in your app portfolio.
Giving examples of estimated battery life is very, very subjective. Also the battery life will increase after the first few full charge cycles (like almost all smartphones require, but don't let it get to 0%, batteries don't like that). The GDR3 update is said to increase the battery life too.

VNamah

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Wait wait wait...hold on a sec. What is this about black patches? I have a L925 and I saw them. So..you are saying it's not me? It was already there..and will always be there no matter what I do? Plus..does it have any direct effect on the screen? Like..killing my pixels quicker or something? :shocked:
Look..just tell me everything you know about them black patches..and everybody walks away happy. OK?

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Wait wait wait...hold on a sec. What is this about black patches? I have a L925 and I saw them. So..you are saying it's not me? It was already there..and will always be there no matter what I do? Plus..does it have any direct effect on the screen? Like..killing my pixels quicker or something? :shocked:
Look..just tell me everything you know about them black patches..and everybody walks away happy. OK?

As far as I've read about it, every AMOLED screen has it. It's not something that will get worse or impair the experience during daily usage. I see it on my 925 only when I lie in bad in complete darkness and the display is black but illuminated (so, no colors). I don't think it's something that devaluates your phone but you can always got to your retailer and ask for a replacement, if you feel like it (depends on how accommodating your retailer is and if you have warranty, since it's not broken).

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Brightness is always on auto with sunlight readability set to ON , glance with peek option and double tap to wake is also set to on. Oh yes I love glance background so definitely looks neat on glance screen and did I mentioned gps,Bluetooth and NFC are always closed. Only turn on gps when I am going to iuse runtastic for monitoring my current pace , speed.

VNamah

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
As far as I've read about it, every AMOLED screen has it...but you can always got to your retailer and ask for a replacement, if you feel like it.
Yeah. I saw them a few days ago..lying in bed in darkness. Then I freaked out but now I'm reassured.
I did some googling after my last reply and it seems to be a common thing with AMOLED indeed.
Thanks for your help :)
And naaah..I won't be replacing it. Spent too much time setting it up and customizing the **** out of my start screen. And downloading apps. Lol :D Besides a new device will probably have its own black spots as well...
Thy hath my gratitude in return of thou help..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos