Does it usually take over an hour to boot up? (Spinning gears)

sammy_boy

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I've just bought a secondhand 925, trying to get it to boot up is taking ages! Had the spinning gears animation for an hour, tried a soft reset and now it's stuck at a screen with a lightning bolt charging indicator and a static gear.

Is the phone faulty or do these usually take a while to boot up for the first time? I got it from a CEX store, presumably it was factory reset, I've read it can take while to subsequently restore but an hour seems excessive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Lightning is wrong. So wrong. Means at some point during the soft reset you hit the up volume. Soft reset should only be down and power. Try that and give it a while.

sammy_boy

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I've done that and now get a low battery image with a flashing plug icon over it - presume the battery's been quite deeply discharged and its now taking a while to start charging proper?

edit: must've been that, as the spinning gears are now back! Will give them a while now.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes. That is called flash mode and the phone becomes dependent on battery power. You should be okay now. If it is getting rid of a lot of data, it may take a while to finish the reset. Lay it down and come back later.

sammy_boy

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm off to work shortly so will leave it to do it's thing, hopefully it'll have finished by the time I get home!

Was hoping to use it today, I can be impatient but will be patient with this Lumia, bit frustrating it takes so long to restore but I'm sure it'll be worth it! :)

PostItNote

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
It absolutely should not take that long. I think your phone is damaged.

I had a Lumia 920 that I dropped and broke pretty badly (screen shattered and partially popped out of the body). It took many, many tries to get past the spinning gears after that. I would get my money back if I were in your situation.

sammy_boy

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Wife texted to say its still doing it now, might try another soft reset when I get home and if that doesn't work probably return it. Would a hard reset be worth trying or not?

Bit disappointed my first WP experience is this :( sure it's only isolated though.

sammy_boy

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
This is probably a silly question but how do you do a hard reset? I've seen a couple of different explanations on how it's done in different threads?

PostItNote

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Bit disappointed my first WP experience is this :( sure it's only isolated though.

You have a second hand phone that, from my experience, appears to be damaged. If this doesn't work out, give it a shot on a Lumia 520 or 521 - very, very low end phones, but will give you a feel with only a $60-70 commitment.

sammy_boy

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
That's my plan B, I've found a very useful link on this site on restoring bricked phones, connected it to my laptop and its found the 925 and downloading firmware now.

However despite being plugged in it keeps showing the low battery icon with a flashing plug over it. If this doesn't work I'm taking this back for a refund and getting a new Lumia 520 which is quite cheap as suggested :)

sammy_boy

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
And it has! Typing this on my now working Lumia 925 after restoring using that Nokia retail programme on my laptop, brilliant! So far so good, all working just need to see how long the battery lasts now :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

Maumonta

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have that problem now, new Lumia 1320, not second hand and it did not fall down. I was trying to reset it to pass it to my wife, and the spinning gears came on for almost 2 days now. BAttery gets depleted after a while, connected to the laptop to try a sw update, nothing, still gears spinning. tried hard boot (power and volume down press) nothing, tried volume power and camera button press, nothing. This is the 3rd Nokia phone that does this. I am trying not to have my 4th visit to the customer service, anything I could do before I dump the phone for good?

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have that problem now, new Lumia 1320, not second hand and it did not fall down. I was trying to reset it to pass it to my wife, and the spinning gears came on for almost 2 days now. BAttery gets depleted after a while, connected to the laptop to try a sw update, nothing, still gears spinning. tried hard boot (power and volume down press) nothing, tried volume power and camera button press, nothing. This is the 3rd Nokia phone that does this. I am trying not to have my 4th visit to the customer service, anything I could do before I dump the phone for good?

Continue trying to reset it, and google "Lumia spinning gears" there are a couple of fixes out there. I wish I could link the one that worked for me, but I don't recall where I found it. I do know that it involved me letting the phone run out of batteries, so if you find a fix that involves a battery drain, be sure to try it.

Hayley Oxley

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I am on my 3rd htc 8x windows phone, first 2 was doing the spinning gears after updates, rang my phone provider, they said not to do the updates for a few weeks lol haven't done any updates on my 3rd phone, but for the past few weeks it has been freezing about 4 times a day so I have to keep turning it off and back on again, im not expecting this phone to last much longer to be honest, and when I take it back I wont be having another one, not impressed with this phone at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb