Does black update undo the keyboard internet sharing hack??

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I didn't get any responses, so I just went ahead and tried it for myself. The answer to my original question is no.

You CAN install grd3 and black while keeping the tethering hack working. The only update I have avoided is the access point update. If anyone manages to update access point and keep the tethering hack going, please update this thread so that I and others will know.

Asleeper2

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just checked mine and the Lumia black update disabled tethering. I don't tether often but I did a few days ago prior to updating and it worked fine. I am going to do a hard reset and do the keyboard trick and see if that fixes it. I know this works on Amber because I had to do it twice.

@Sonus: Do you have tethering enabled on your data plan and which carrier/version of the L925 are you using? I am using the RM-892 (unlocked/unbranded) with ATT.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I just checked mine and the Lumia black update disabled tethering. I don't tether often but I did a few days ago prior to updating and it worked fine. I am going to do a hard reset and do the keyboard trick and see if that fixes it. I know this works on Amber because I had to do it twice.

@Sonus: Do you have tethering enabled on your data plan and which carrier/version of the L925 are you using? I am using the RM-892 (unlocked/unbranded) with ATT.

I am using an international 925.4 (RM-892). I too am on ATT, and I do not have a tethering plan. Have you updated the access point app?

Joe Rodak

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I just did the Black update and my internet sharing is no longer working. I also noticed the profiles in access point are gone and there is only one there now called "AT&T."

ibuyufo

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you guys all using ATT phones w/ATT ROMS? Would be useful if you all posted your plan/phone/rom...

Mine is a branded AT&T Lumia 920. I had gone from the stock firmware to the french rom when amber came out. Then because of issues with internet speed in AT&T's network I flashed the phone with the canadian developer's device rom. Now under manufacturer name it says RM-820_nam_canada_246

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone who has enabled the keyboard hack that enables internet sharing (see the bottom of the linked page) tried updating to GRD3/Lumia Black?

If so, has the update removed your tethering hack? I've been searching for this information everywhere, but can't seem to find it!

Yeah, updating Access Point does get rid of the hack, I mistakenly did it. I had to hard reset it and do the hack again to obtain tethering once more. :/ I did gain like a gig and a half though, provably from all the app data I lost. So if you do decide to hard refresh, BACK! UP! EVERYTHING!!! :)

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, updating Access Point does get rid of the hack, I mistakenly did it. I had to hard reset it and do the hack again to obtain tethering once more. :/ I did gain like a gig and a half though, provably from all the app data I lost. So if you do decide to hard refresh, BACK! UP! EVERYTHING!!! :)

Thanks, good to know. I've been avoiding the update. I DO wonder if updating the Access Point app before first applying the hack works.

Tip: What I typically do to process a long batch of updates is:
1. install one update
2. click install all updates
3. cancel the only Access Point app's update
This allows me to take advantage of batch updating while making sure the Access Point app doesn't randomly install first, so that I have time to cancel it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans