This question goes out to all of you adventurous folks out there who opened up their 925s to place the wireless charging coil from the case inside the phone. Like, where it originally should have been. Described here: DIY hack enables you to wirelessly charge your Nokia Lumia 925 without optional shells | Windows Phone Central

Have you noticed any issues since performing this mod? Has the back of the phone stayed solidly in place? Have there been any issues due to heat? Does it still work? Do you regret it? Or do you look in the mirror every day, wink and say to yourself "That was a good decision, you brilliant devil"?
    01-29-2014 11:44 AM
    I did this last night. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but the wireless charging cover tends to crack at the four corners over time. I sent it back once and Nokia replaced it, but it happened again. I made up my mind; it was going under the knife.

It took me a couple tries to get the pins positioned correctly, buy I'm up and running. Cover fits fine and feels solid even though I removed it a half dozen times. Don't know about heat effects, but i haven't felt any excessive heat so far. It kinda pisses me off that this wasn't built in. There is plenty of room for the coil and a heat dissipative pad.

And yes, I do look at myself in the mirror and think, "damn you're good. If only women knew what you were capable of with microelectronics."
    01-29-2014 01:35 PM
    I am in the same situation. Looking for opinions of this as I want to perform this mod tio.
    01-30-2014 10:06 AM
    Yeah me too, although i don't get why nokia didn't include originally, since its possible
    01-30-2014 10:25 AM
    This question goes out to all of you adventurous folks out there who opened up their 925s to place the wireless charging coil from the case inside the phone. Like, where it originally should have been. Described here: DIY hack enables you to wirelessly charge your Nokia Lumia 925 without optional shells | Windows Phone Central

Have you noticed any issues since performing this mod? Has the back of the phone stayed solidly in place? Have there been any issues due to heat? Does it still work? Do you regret it? Or do you look in the mirror every day, wink and say to yourself "That was a good decision, you brilliant devil"?
    I did it a few weeks back on both of mine. I did it on the white 925 that I got first because I got the phone to swap the white back on it onto my black one (the 32gb only comes in black) and it worked fine over the few days of testing so I did it on my main one and I have charged it a good few times now without any problems.

In fact if anything it charges a little faster and cooler now but that's now saying that it go hot before hand. Plus I can charge it with my case on it if I'm using it.

Next thing is doing it on my wifes 1020 but that's a different ball game.
    Rodrigo Mendes likes this.
    01-30-2014 11:04 AM
    Did it a couple weeks ago as well. No issue on charging. Back cover is a tiny bit loose on the top, below the phone jack. Loose is to harsh of a word. I am able to press it in by about 1/32". Doubt that it has anything to do with the mod though.
    One issue did start happening though. My compass is all screwed up. I have to recalibrate (the 8's) almost everytime I open maps or nav applications.
    I have a feeling that that might actually be caused by the magnetic field of the charger plate.
    01-30-2014 09:01 PM
    Did it a couple weeks ago as well. No issue on charging. Back cover is a tiny bit loose on the top, below the phone jack. Loose is to harsh of a word. I am able to press it in by about 1/32". Doubt that it has anything to do with the mod though.
    One issue did start happening though. My compass is all screwed up. I have to recalibrate (the 8's) almost everytime I open maps or nav applications.
    I have a feeling that that might actually be caused by the magnetic field of the charger plate.
    Hmm, that's kinda odd. You can always fix that loose plate by shimming with some foam or paper.
    01-30-2014 09:33 PM
    I installed a charging coil in mine a couple months ago. It will create a slight bulge in the bottom case, and mine has developed a very small ~2mm crack at the holes the charging case would contact.
    When installing it, be sure that any pins and metal items are made as flat as possible, this will reduce stress on the backplate and prevent cracking.
    Lastly, you may hear some distortion with the speaker after this mod is done. This is due to the backplate rattling slightly when the speaker plays. To fix this just put a tiny bit of electrical tape around the perimeter of the speaker so the case doesn't vibrate against it.
    Also my charging coil still works great, haven't had any problems with it.
    01-31-2014 11:52 AM
    I was hoping for more input from a longer term perspective, but thanks to heywhitmarsh for the most experienced viewpoint yet. Bummer about the crack, but I was expecting a minor bulge. This morning some demon possessed my clicking finger, and I bought a 925 that came with a wireless charging shell, so I may try the mod for myself when it arrives.

I wonder if you can trim the contact pins or sand down the inside of the case in key points to minimize the bulge. I'd prefer to have it nice and flush. As far as the compass goes, I haven't heard that anywhere else, so if anyone with the mod could comment, that would be helpful. My old Focus S had similar troubles with the compass, with no mods to affect it.
    02-03-2014 05:15 PM
    Well I'm not sure if I did something different but I don't have a bulge on either of the phones i did.

Also when your replacing the back put the bottom in first and then moving up to the top both sides at the same time and when you get to the top leave the middle of the top to last.
    02-04-2014 05:31 PM
    No bulge here either.
    02-05-2014 01:49 PM
    Thanks so much for the info Will6371 and slotti. Will, how's your compass? Do you have to calibrate every time? I'm definitely performing this mod next week, btw. I will try my best to update.
    02-05-2014 03:37 PM
    Thanks so much for the info Will6371 and slotti. Will, how's your compass? Do you have to calibrate every time? I'm definitely performing this mod next week, btw. I will try my best to update.
    My compass seems to be working fine on mine.
    02-06-2014 08:47 AM
    The first thing I though of when I saw the three dots on the back of my 925 was "Shouldn't someone be able to make a WIRED dock for this thing?"
    Has anyone analyzed exactly what the three dots are? Ground, +5, and... what? Can you tell from the coil what does what? It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to build a nice desk stand that charges the phone as well. Sure, it wouldn't be wireless, but it wouldn't be $40 and prone to breakage, either.
    04-16-2014 12:35 PM
    The first thing I though of when I saw the three dots on the back of my 925 was "Shouldn't someone be able to make a WIRED dock for this thing?"
    Has anyone analyzed exactly what the three dots are? Ground, +5, and... what? Can you tell from the coil what does what? It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to build a nice desk stand that charges the phone as well. Sure, it wouldn't be wireless, but it wouldn't be $40 and prone to breakage, either.
    The three dots on the back of the 925 are to accommodate the wireless charging cover.
    04-16-2014 12:50 PM
    I did it a few weeks back on both of mine. I did it on the white 925 that I got first because I got the phone to swap the white back on it onto my black one (the 32gb only comes in black) and it worked fine over the few days of testing so I did it on my main one and I have charged it a good few times now without any problems.

In fact if anything it charges a little faster and cooler now but that's now saying that it go hot before hand. Plus I can charge it with my case on it if I'm using it.

Next thing is doing it on my wifes 1020 but that's a different ball game.
    Have you gotten around messing with the 1020?
    05-15-2014 01:08 AM
    The three dots on the back of the 925 are to accommodate the wireless charging cover.
    I think what he was asking was, did anyone make a desk stand with three pins that would line up with the charging cover connection, so that you set it on the desk stand, and the phone thinks it's got the wireless charging shell on it.
    This would be very similar to the Galaxy Nexus POGO pins and desk stand. Galaxy Nexus Pogo Dock Now Available From Samsung (For A Whopping $90)
    Not quite the same, but similar in function, set it down and it charges, just grab it and go. No messing with cables.
    05-15-2014 01:55 PM
    Have you gotten around messing with the 1020?
    I haven't done it yet because it is my wife that uses the 1020 and she doesn't mind the charging shell on it as it doubles as a case. Plus it only need to be charged every couple of days now with 8.1 as the battery last 20-25% longer.
    05-18-2014 06:48 AM
    Put wireless charging into a T-Mobile case. Link here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...bile-case.html
    05-19-2014 08:32 PM
    It would be great if the receiver coil pad assembly was available separately. I hate to spend $30 for the shell just to throw away most of it. There are many separate receivers available for other devices that sell for less that $10 but they only have 2 connections. Does anyone know what the 3rd pin is for?
    07-10-2014 06:04 PM
    I did the mod almost two months ago and have had no issues what so ever. The install went smoothly, other than the fact that I filled the three small holes with clear epoxy so that there was not an opening there, you would not know from the outside of the phone that anything had changed. No bulge, no cracks, it charges faster than with the USB connection.
    I even took apart a charging plate and installed the charger in the dash of my car. I then used the remaining part of the Nokia case and mounted that to the dash over the charger. So now when I get in my car, I put the phone in the "case" and it charges wirelessly... I did heat the corners of the case and move them outward so that the case did not snap on as tightly as if it were being used as a case.
    07-16-2014 03:29 PM