Lumia 925 - Market Dump / T- Mobile WP 8.1 support?

Wacky_Packy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Now that the Lumia 925 can be purchased at cost between $230 & $250 do you think a market dump is occurring? Clearing out the old making room for the new perhaps? Does anyone have any concerns that T-Moble will drop the phone and not provide the upgrade to WP 8.1 when released? Anyone see an official statement from T-mobile indicating they will support WP 8.1 on the 925 when released?

Thoughts?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Mobile technology moves really fast. Whatever is the latest and greatest today, won't be the latest and greatest 6 months from now.

The 925 has a very large distribution network. I know in the states it mostly tied to T-Mobile, although it's also available through AT&T, but the 925 was pushed really hard in Europe. I was in France last fall and I couldn't open up a newspaper or turn on the TV and without seeing a 925 advertisement.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of good buys around now. I got a Nokia charging plate from AT&T for $24.50. Store personnel insisted they didn't have it but the web site said otherwise. When they finally looked they had several. I have noticed cases for most Lumia phones have been slashed . I am worried about T-Mobile though because the stores I go into don't even seem to recognize the existence of Windows phones. One would think they would push the 521s but I guess they leave that to Walmart and Target.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have concerns T-Mobile will just EOL and drop support for the 925. They already did it to the 810, blocked GDR3 and all.

Wacky_Packy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thats my concern as well. I picked up a 925 and I was going to set it up with the $70 dollar unlimited plan. I'm having second thoughts and I might just return the phone while I can get a full refund. I'm under contract with Verizon until 4/6 with a blackberry. If I don't move on the $70 plan before the 3/23 I will lose out to that plan as it will be $80 dollars.

Thinking about my options. :)

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You can always get the up dates through that MS developer program. I would lose T-Mobile's Wifi calling feature if I did that. Lately though my 4g signal is much improved maybe I won't need it.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the price drop is just to nudge potential no contract up-graders into making the leap.

If the phone was in the $149.00 $199.00 range from all the usual on-line retailers I'd be worried some.
Amazon, Ebay and the carriers of the 925 are still showing higher prices so I believe the phone is still viable.

People that want the lower price have to shop for it ... it's not really being pushed aggressively as discount model.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the price drop is just to nudge potential no contract up-graders into making the leap.
These low priced 925s seem to all trace back to Simply Wireless. That's where Newegg's 925s came from. And someone with a HSN or QVC 925 said theirs came from Simply Wireless. Simply Wireless doesn't show up in anonymous tracking or on the shipping labels. But if your initial UPS location was Baltimore (or you have a UPS account that shows shipping and delivery address, etc in the tracking) it came from SW. Mine had a manufacturing date of July 2013. I don't know what is typical for smart phones, but that seemed liked quite a lot of time to be sitting on a shelf. So my take was there may be just one company that is massively overstocked.

Wacky_Packy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Guytronic and HoosierDaddy - You both have valid points. Right now I'm holding on to the phone as I still have some time to decide if I will keep it or not.

As I purchased mine from qvc and it came from SimplyWireless a prepaid sim card was included. Instructions were included to activate it and add whatever minutes or data to it. I called T-mobile and purchased a different sim card for 99 cents. This sim card will allow me to purchase the $70 month unlimited data plan before the price increase to $80 in a few weeks.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thats my concern as well. I picked up a 925 and I was going to set it up with the $70 dollar unlimited plan. I'm having second thoughts and I might just return the phone while I can get a full refund. I'm under contract with Verizon until 4/6 with a blackberry. If I don't move on the $70 plan before the 3/23 I will lose out to that plan as it will be $80 dollars.

Thinking about my options. :)

Get Preview for Developers for free. I started a thread in the 810 forum which includes a step by step guide. This will ensure that you have WP8.1 on your phone despite what T-Mobile does or does not do with regards to WP8.1.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I only see this drastic price reduction as something good for the users and WP in general. Look at how well the 521 did and continues to do and sell on T-Mobile. If the 925 sells for a lower price, that can only prompt more people into snatching it up. That's exactly what seems to be happening. If it sells like hotcakes at these prices, I doubt T-Mobile WON'T continue providing support for it. It will be like the 521, only slightly pricier.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I only see this drastic price reduction as something good for the users and WP in general. Look at how well the 521 did and continues to do and sell on T-Mobile. If the 925 sells for a lower price, that can only prompt more people into snatching it up. That's exactly what seems to be happening. If it sells like hotcakes at these prices, I doubt T-Mobile WON'T continue providing support for it. It will be like the 521, only slightly pricier.

You are right, if only they did it for the 810, it is such a great device. And the pictures the phone takes are pretty amazing compared to other devices. I think only the iPhone (and its lofty price tag) and the other high end Nokia phones take a better picture.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention