03-24-2014 06:29 AM
45 12
tools
    how do people have rice readily available for this? I've always put my mobile devices in the freezer for 5 hours and then let it rest for 24 hours before powering it back on
    03-18-2014 12:03 PM
    How long did you leave it plugged in? Doesn't the flashing Windows button on the 925 mean that the battery is charging, but it's not yet charged enough to boot the system? Maybe try leaving it plugged in a little longer.
    About an hour before I gave up. Sorry, if I wasn't clear, but it was more of a rapid blinking than the regular flashing. Something is clearly wrong with the device.
    03-18-2014 12:20 PM
    About an hour before I gave up. Sorry, if I wasn't clear, but it was more of a rapid blinking than the regular flashing. Something is clearly wrong with the device.
    Ah, I see. Sounds like you're definitely SOL. :/

$89 for a repair is pretty reasonable though! Good luck!
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-18-2014 12:42 PM
    how do people have rice readily available for this? I've always put my mobile devices in the freezer for 5 hours and then let it rest for 24 hours before powering it back on
    uncooked rice!
    its not exactly rare in many households.

I won't comment on the freezer thing.
    03-18-2014 12:47 PM
    uncooked rice!

You won't, I will. How does the freezer thing work? I am very curious now.

Anyway... Rice does tend to be common enough, but I guess not all people eat it on a regular basis. If you lack the money, a 521 is a damn nifty device for the price. Nothing out of the world awesome, but still competent enough to get you through the day.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-18-2014 01:47 PM
    How long did you leave it in the rice?

Should have been at least 24 hours if it was fully submerged in water.

On the bright side, at least you have dinner now.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-18-2014 02:07 PM

That's harsh, but every cloud and all that.
    03-18-2014 02:17 PM
    How long did you leave it in the rice?

Should have been at least 24 hours if it was fully submerged in water.

24 hours in the rice. It fell in the toilet, I'm not eating the rice.
    khader_moham likes this.
    03-18-2014 02:42 PM
    You won't, I will. How does the freezer thing work? I am very curious now.

Anyway... Rice does tend to be common enough, but I guess not all people eat it on a regular basis. If you lack the money, a 521 is a damn nifty device for the price. Nothing out of the world awesome, but still competent enough to get you through the day.
    I got my mom a 521, and gave my dad my 810. There is almost no way I can go back down to any one of those. The 925 was such an upgrade, if I can't get it fixed, or for a good price then I guess ill have to, but that is the last resort.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-18-2014 02:45 PM
    Should I try and repair the phone by a third party, or should I buy a new phone? I'm skeptical about a repair because I feel like the water can cause future complications down the line, and the phone will have very little resale value because of the indicator. I also don't want to spend as much money this time around(can we please leave the 521 out of this conversation for now). Where can I buy the cheapest brand new Lumia 925 right now?
    03-18-2014 03:28 PM
    I got my mom a 521, and gave my dad my 810. There is almost no way I can go back down to any one of those. The 925 was such an upgrade, if I can't get it fixed, or for a good price then I guess ill have to, but that is the last resort.
    Any chance you'd risk the teardown on the iFixit website.
    Looks somewhat simple on there.

I believe the teardown on the site is for the 920.
    I know I'd try it shaky hands and all.

I feel for ya kiddo.
    Hope there's a low cost resolution for you.
    03-18-2014 03:33 PM
    how do people have rice readily available for this?
    Yes. If someone doesn't have any can we use a can of chicken rice soup instead? ;)
    03-18-2014 04:24 PM
    Any chance you'd risk the teardown on the iFixit website.
    Looks somewhat simple on there.

I believe the teardown on the site is for the 920.
    I know I'd try it shaky hands and all.

I feel for ya kiddo.
    Hope there's a low cost resolution for you.
    No way.Not even a chance i'd play around with this thing. Anyone know how much money I can get for a two week old cosmetically flawless liquid damaged phone?
    03-18-2014 05:38 PM
    No way.
    Not even a chance I'd play around with this thing.
    Anyone know how much money I can get for a two week old cosmetically flawless liquid damaged phone?
    Seen a few on Ebay with damaged digitizers for "buy it now" at 60-75 USD.
    03-18-2014 05:54 PM
    No way.Not even a chance i'd play around with this thing. Anyone know how much money I can get for a two week old cosmetically flawless liquid damaged phone?
    I'll bid you 1

Sorry but someone had to
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-18-2014 05:56 PM
    I'll bid you 1

Sorry but someone had to
    i raise you -10

oh wait wrong direction
    03-18-2014 06:58 PM
    I don't know how much free cash you have, but Newegg has the 925 on sale for $225 right now, no contract and free shipping!
    Newegg.com - Shell Shocker Deal. Exclusive Jaw Dropping Savings on PC Components and Electronics.

Jump on it if you can!
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-19-2014 06:45 AM
    The problem is that in a device like this, it is often the case (but certainly not always) that when a phone gets submerged like this, the battery shorts out quickly, meaning that the phone is possibly still ok. It's impossible to know for sure without ripping it apart, and if you don't have a multimeter to check the battery, it's not worth buying one to find out.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-19-2014 09:19 AM
    uncooked rice!

I will. The wisdom in freezing your device with water in it is, how shall we say... Lacking.

First, it doesn't accomplish anything helpful. The water that's in there will still be in there when you take it out of the freezer, so if you think you're freeze drying the phone, you're not.
    Second, it is potentially quite harmful. When water freezes, it expands by ten percent in volume. That's why ice cubes float. 10% of the mass is above the waterline because of the 10% increase in volume and the associated decrease in mass density. This means in the right places in the phone, it could cause physical damage - cracking - in addition to the already possible/likely water damage. Ever put a soda in the freezer and forget about it? Yes, the can will burst.

No. Do not freeze your waterlogged devices.
    Last edited by hopmedic; 03-24-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    03-23-2014 03:59 PM
    I will. The wisdom in freezing your device with water in it is, how shall we say... Not the wisest thing you can do.

First, it doesn't accomplish anything helpful. The water that's in there will still be in there when you take it out of the freezer, so if you think you're freeze drying the phone, you're not.
    Second, it is quite potentially harmful. When water freezes, it

No. Do not freeze your waterlogged devices.
    Don't put a mobile device in the freezer. Period. There's never a good time to do that. It'll never be helpful.
    hopmedic likes this.
    03-24-2014 06:29 AM
45 12