Lumia 925 purchased from HSN...

illyc

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I mean the 925 has to be on its way out, right? even still, i can tell right away this is going to be a nice upgrade from the 521.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I mean the 925 has to be on its way out, right? even still, i can tell right away this is going to be a nice upgrade from the 521.
It's a great phone but definitely not being manufactured anymore or very soon to be. For me its best Nokia yet. Sure I would like more memory and an SD card slot and a faster processor BUT I would have no use for a better camera and with the way I use the phone I'd rather have the 925's looks and thinness than more memory or an SD card. So until and if they build my perfect phone, this is a great compromise.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
should i do anything specific re: my data/applications/settings on the 521 before switching over?
Until you find something better, I went thru the same thing and posted here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-anything-how-move-one-wp8-phone-another.html

I suggest that if you have not unlocked your 521 yet and are eligible for that, you get the free code from T-Mobile BEFORE you switch phones. Within hours of switching T-Mobile will no longer consider that phone part of your plan and therefore they have no obligation or interest in giving you an unlock code for it. Be aware that T-Mobile says they will only give 2 unlock codes to a customer within a 12 month period so if you have got another code within the last 10 months and plan to unlock your new 925 after 40 days, then don't use up your last unlock request on the 521.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
rcvd it yesterday but was tied up all day and night so only just now got to unbox it and take a look - gorgeous!

what do i need to do right off the bat?

You should probably get a case if you don't already have one. The 925 is ridiculously slippery! I dropped mine for the first time as it was attached to the charger the day I got it. It didn't hit the floor and I sort of caught it via the charger wire, but it's so easy to drop.

illyc

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Until you find something better, I went thru the same thing and posted here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-anything-how-move-one-wp8-phone-another.html

I suggest that if you have not unlocked your 521 yet and are eligible for that, you get the free code from T-Mobile BEFORE you switch phones. Within hours of switching T-Mobile will no longer consider that phone part of your plan and therefore they have no obligation or interest in giving you an unlock code for it. Be aware that T-Mobile says they will only give 2 unlock codes to a customer within a 12 month period so if you have got another code within the last 10 months and plan to unlock your new 925 after 40 days, then don't use up your last unlock request on the 521.

awesome - good info thanks. currently on chat with TM about the unlock code.

You should probably get a case if you don't already have one. The 925 is ridiculously slippery! I dropped mine for the first time as it was attached to the charger the day I got it. It didn't hit the floor and I sort of caught it via the charger wire, but it's so easy to drop.

i know! but i can't decide what to get - thinking about this one:
Nillkin Matte Hard Skin Cover Case Free LCD Guard for Nokia Lumia 925T | eBay

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
i know! but i can't decide what to get - thinking about this one:
Nillkin Matte Hard Skin Cover Case Free LCD Guard for Nokia Lumia 925T | eBay
If you want something like that (not much shock absorption), there is a clear version that doesn't hide the metal edges. That's what I bought but only use it some of the time after my hands learned to grip the thinner, slipperier 925 better. Here is a post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/278212-5.htm#post2497967

and a pic:
13513961474_d800dcbaa4_b.jpg

bokeh

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I got mine in from HSN after about 6 days. Definitely says Simply Wireless on the invoice, originated in Baltimore. Charger, headphones and TMobile 925 box were all just flopping around in the cardboard shipping box. Was worried since my 925 box seemed a bit older and worn, but took the phone out and its brand new. Zero time on the internal clock. Oddly, the date on the outside of my box is 1/22/2014, so I have a January model.

Did all the updates, everything seems to work great. My only disappointment is that the speaker on the 925 is not as good as my 521. Other then that the phone just rocks.

Now I have to go through all the hoops to get it unlocked. I use Brightspot mobile, which is what Target offers as a prepaid service using Tmobile's network. Prices are very competitive. Only 35 bucks for unlimited talk and text, no data. 45 bucks for unlim talk/text and 1 gig of data before being throttled back to 2g. And its only 55 bucks for unlim talk/text and 3 gigs before being throttled. Whats also neat is that after 6 straight months of payments you get a 25 dollar Target gift card mailed to you. So overall its a pretty sweet plan. I also save 10% with my employee discount and another 5% using my Target red card when I buy my refill card. All that adds up. And you can change up your plan on a month to month basis to suit your budget on Brightspot which is convenient.

But it looks like I am going to have to do the two months on the 50 dollar Tmobile plan to get the unlock code. Bummer, thats going to interrupt my Gift Card time. Oh well. It will be worth it in the end.

All in all Im pretty happy with this. Im a single dad living on my own in California so I didnt have a lot of budget for a new phone and my 521 is just laggy. HSN's flexplay plan really helped out with this. Glad I checked WPcentral the other day and found the deal listed!

Oh, while I was waiting for my order to come in I kept checking the site and I noticed one day that HSN listed the 925 as sold out. It is still listed that way today. If you wanted one I hope you got it. Im glad I did. :)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
But it looks like I am going to have to do the two months on the 50 dollar Tmobile plan to get the unlock code. Bummer, thats going to interrupt my Gift Card time. Oh well. It will be worth it in the end.
If you don't need more than 100 minutes of talk, T-Mobile has a $30/mo plan with unlimited text and data (1st 5GB LTE). And they have a $40 plan with unlimited text and voice but just 1GB data (can buy more data if it doesn't last a month).

bokeh

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
If you don't need more than 100 minutes of talk, T-Mobile has a $30/mo plan with unlimited text and data (1st 5GB LTE). And they have a $40 plan with unlimited text and voice but just 1GB data (can buy more data if it doesn't last a month).

Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of this.

Edit: Actually, Im checking this out right now and I cant seem to find this plan. What I see is unlimited text/voice and 1 GB data for $50. The $40 plan says unlimited text/voice and 500mb of data. Boo Tmobile.

And the $30 plan seems neat, but with only 100min of voice Im not sure if that would work. Would WiFi calling work here to make up the mins? Can you call over the data connection and not just WiFi? Never used that so not sure how it works. Also the website says the $30 plan is only good for devices activated at Wal Mart or on Tmobile.com. Hopefully I could activate my HSN 925 on the site like that.

If anyone can answer some of the questions I would be very grateful. Thx.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of this.

Edit: Actually, Im checking this out right now and I cant seem to find this plan. What I see is unlimited text/voice and 1 GB data for $50. The $40 plan says unlimited text/voice and 500mb of data. Boo Tmobile.

And the $30 plan seems neat, but with only 100min of voice Im not sure if that would work. Would WiFi calling work here to make up the mins? Can you call over the data connection and not just WiFi? Never used that so not sure how it works. Also the website says the $30 plan is only good for devices activated at Wal Mart or on Tmobile.com. Hopefully I could activate my HSN 925 on the site like that.

If anyone can answer some of the questions I would be very grateful. Thx.

The plan is on this page near the bottom: Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Credit Check | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile

WiFi calling still uses talk minutes. So its not a good idea to use it except when you can't get any bars because of the problems it can cause with texts.

Last edited:

bokeh

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
The plan is on this page near the bottom: Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Credit Check | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile

WiFi calling still uses talk minutes. So its not a good idea to use it except when you can't get any bars because of the problems it can cause with texts.

Well if the wifi calling comes off the minutes to then unfortunately the $30 plan wont work for me. Thats a bummer but thanks for letting me know about it. Im still interested in the $40 plan you mentioned, but I can find it nowhere on the page you linked, or on any of Tmobiles pages. The only plan I see is for $50 that is unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data. Maybe you are in a different area with different pricing?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Well if the wifi calling comes off the minutes to then unfortunately the $30 plan wont work for me. Thats a bummer but thanks for letting me know about it. Im still interested in the $40 plan you mentioned, but I can find it nowhere on the page you linked, or on any of Tmobiles pages. The only plan I see is for $50 that is unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data. Maybe you are in a different area with different pricing?

$40 Plans w/ Unlimited Talk & Text | Simple Starter Plans | T-Mobile

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I bought two cases and a screen protector the day I got mine on CL. I plan to install these tonight and perhaps start using the 925 as a daily driver starting sometime this week...I still love my 810 quite a bit, especially since it has WP8.1 on it:)

bokeh

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
All TMO plans are now 1GB....

Really? I copied this from the Tmobile site.

With Simple Starter $40 per month gets you one line with:

Unlimited talk & text
Up to 500MB 4G LTE data
No data overage charges, because…no data overages. Pay only when you want more.
No annual service contracts
That’s everything. Pretty simple. It’s the way we know wireless should be.

Want unlimited data? Starting at $50, check out our Simple Choice Plans, featuring unlimited talk, text and data for up to 5 lines—with no data overages.

So the $40 plan is not 1GB. I wish somebody could prove me wrong because I would like to get a gig for 40 bucks.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Really? I copied this from the Tmobile site.

With Simple Starter $40 per month gets you one line with:

Unlimited talk & text
Up to 500MB 4G LTE data
No data overage charges, because…no data overages. Pay only when you want more.
No annual service contracts
That’s everything. Pretty simple. It’s the way we know wireless should be.

Want unlimited data? Starting at $50, check out our Simple Choice Plans, featuring unlimited talk, text and data for up to 5 lines—with no data overages.

So the $40 plan is not 1GB. I wish somebody could prove me wrong because I would like to get a gig for 40 bucks.

Sounds like the first 500MB are LTE, then over that is slower?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo